Six on Native Americans: "The Next Best Thing To Hell": The Story Of The Worst Mass Execution In American History; Most Have

philip panaritis

Oct 8, 2018, 1:57:00 AM10/8/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Native Americans: "The Next Best Thing To Hell": The Story Of The Worst Mass Execution In American History; Most Have Never Heard of the Taíno People; Native American women still have the highest rates of rape and assault; Indigenous peoples are decolonizing virtual worlds; What Harvard professors who were part of Elizabeth Warren’s hiring say about it

"The Next Best Thing To Hell": The Story Of The Worst Mass Execution In American History

Native American women still have the highest rates of rape and assault

"Columbus’s treatment of the Taíno people meets the UN definition of genocide. But there has also been a curricular genocide — erasing the memory of the Taíno from our nation’s classrooms"

Indigenous peoples are decolonizing virtual worlds

Video games have a malicious history of inaccurate portrayals of Indigenous characters.

In the 1980s and ’90s, they were the human targets of shoot-’em-ups like Indian AttackCowboy Kid, and Hammer Boy, and the repetitive rape of a Native American woman was the main aim of Custer’s RevengeGUN, released in 2005, required that gamers murder a set number of Native Americans in order to graduate through levels, and the “pan-Indian” stereotypes of mystic chief, ritualistic warrior, or Indian princess continue to dominate storylines. A 2010 academic paper that analyzed the race of characters in the 150 bestselling games in the United States in one year revealed that Native Americans were the most underrepresented segment of society and appeared only as secondary characters.

What Harvard professors who were part of Elizabeth Warren’s hiring say about it

"More than 60 Harvard professors were eligible to vote on whether to offer Elizabeth Warren a tenured position at the law school in 1993. The Globe reached out to all of the living professors who could have been in that room to ask whether her claims to Native American heritage were a factor in their votes.

Here’s a sampling of what they said.

Laurence Tribe : “I would be willing to swear on a hundred bibles, if I believed in the Bible, that the idea that she took advantage of some minority status was ludicrous.”

Martha Minow : “I was there. I was in the meetings. It never came up. . . . There is no news here. I can utterly close the door. There was no conversation of her having any Native American identity. I can say that conclusively.”

Native Americans & Colonists on the Northeastern Coast

In this episode of the Ben Franklin’s World podcast, Andrew Lipman, an Assistant Professor of History at Barnard College, Columbia University and author of The Saltwater Frontier: Indians and the Contest for the American Coast (Yale, 2015), leads us on an exploration of the northeastern coastline and of the Native American and European peoples who lived there during the seventeenth century. You can listen to the podcast here: www.benfranklinsworld.com/198

Ben Franklin’s World is a podcast for people who love history and for those who want to know more about the historical people and events that have impacted and shaped our world. Each episode features an interview with an historian who shares their unique insights into our early American past. It is a production of the Omohundro Institute.

Native Land NY screen shot (2).jpg
dont_take_our_voices_away native voices climate change.pdf
andrew_jackson_indian_removal.pdf
cherokee_seminole_removal.pdf
discovering_columbus.pdf
resistance_in_hawaii.pdf
Women dressed as Native Americans join the parade..jpg
Pictured in 1879, they played for Pennsylvania’s Carlisle Indian Industrial School. Jim Thorpe bottom right.jpg
sioux-children1“Hampton Institute, Hampton, Va. – before entering school – seven Indian children of uneducated parents 1897.”.jpg