Six on Schools: What research really says about closing schools — and why it’s a bad idea for kids; Betsy DeVos attended Supr

philip panaritis

Mar 2, 2018, 4:40:55 PM3/2/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Schools: What research really says about closing schools — and why it’s a bad idea for kids; Betsy DeVos attended Supreme Court hearing on fate of public-sector unions; ‘I Live Paycheck to Paycheck’'; discrediting public education and undermining support for teachers. ..."; Funding Fairness;

What research really says about closing schools — and why it’s a bad idea for kids

"In 2013, members of the Chicago Board of Education approved the closing of 47 elementary schools. Despite weeks of protests by teachers, parents and community members, 12,000 students saw their schools closed and thousands more students at receiving schools were negatively impacted in the largest mass closing of neighborhood schools in U.S. history.

At the time, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel explained the decision as a money-saving measure and promised that residents like Ms. Irene would have a say in turning the former schools into facilities that would benefit the surrounding neighborhoods.

Today, two-thirds of those buildings remain vacant and there are no standards for community involvement in determining their reuse.

As Chicago Public School board members — who will vote on new school closures — listen to the stories of families like the Robinsons, I hope that they take time to understand that these stories align with the vast amount of research that documents the damage school closings do to children and to communities. As a scholar at the National Education Policy Center, I can confirm that Robinson’s story is one I and other researchers have heard over and over."

DeVos moves to delay Obama-era rule on minority special-education students
"Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is seeking public comment on a plan to delay the implementation of an Obama-era rule that is intended to prevent schools from unnecessarily pushing minority students into special education.

The Education Department published a note in the Federal Register on Tuesday that says it wants to delay for two years the rule that was intended to be implemented starting in the 2018-2019 school year.

The department did not respond to a query about why it was doing this, but the notice says that it is doing it to make sure that the rule’s “effectiveness” can be ensured. The Hill newspaper had reported recently that states, districts, superintendents and others had raised concerns about the rule. Administrators have expressed concern about the cost of implementation, while advocates for students with disabilities have said it is an important step to protect minority children.

This is one of a number of Obama-era regulations and rules that DeVos has rolled back or delayed, and it is possible that DeVos could decide to eliminate it altogether."

‘I Live Paycheck to Paycheck’: A West Virginia Teacher Explains Why She’s on Strike

What are the origins of the strike?

They told us that essentially if you weren’t a single person, if you had a family plan, your health insurance was going to rise substantially. As a West Virginia teacher — and I’ve been teaching 10 years — I only clear right under $1,300 every two weeks, and they’re wanting to take $300 more away for me. But they tell me it’s O.K., because we’re going to give you a 1 percent pay raise. That equals out to 88 cents every two days.

They implemented Go365, which is an app that I’m supposed to download on my phone, to track my steps, to earn points through this app. If I don’t earn enough points, and if I choose not to use the app, then I’m penalized $500 at the end of the year. People felt that was very invasive, to have to download that app and to be forced into turning over sensitive information.

Go365 was thrown out. Of course they decided to give a freeze [on insurance rates], and I think people thought that might be enough. But we understand that this is an election year. They can freeze it right now, but what happens after the election? The feeling is, we have to get this fixed, and we have to get it fixed now.

Jan Resseger: What Linda Darling-Hammond Wrote about the Kerner Commission Report Today  [attached]

"What we accomplished instead was discrediting public education and undermining support for teachers. ..."

“In a study of the effects of court-ordered desegregation on students born between 1945 and 1970, economist Rucker Johnson found that graduation rates climbed by 2 percentage points for every year a Black student attended an integrated school… The difference was tied to the fact that schools under court supervision benefit from higher per-pupil spending and smaller student-teacher ratios… During the 1960s and ’70s, many communities took on efforts like these. As a result, there was a noticeable reduction in educational inequality in the decade after the original Kerner report…. (S)ubstantial gains were made in equalizing both educational inputs and outcomes. The Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 targeted resources to communities with the most need, recognizing that where a child grows up should not determine where he or she ends up… However, the gains from the Great Society programs were pushed back during the Reagan administration, when most targeted federal programs supporting investments in college access and K-12 schools in urban and poor rural areas were reduced or eliminated, and federal aid to schools was cut from 12% to 6% of a shrinking total…By 1991, stark differences had reemerged between segregated urban schools and their suburban counterparts, which generally spent twice as much on education.”

Education_Path_To_One_Nation_BRIEF.pdf
Child labor and a lack of education was one of the other reasons for people wishing to leave their homes, Jacob Lawrence Migration Series, 1941.jpg
Complexity of Teaching, Rose 2008.docx
How Humility Drives Learning.jpg
The Misguided Drive to Measure ‘Learning Outcomes’.jpg