Six on Coronavirus: Chris Hayes: Trump Will Try To Lie To You About The Death Toll; 'We can't stay home': how America's poorest state is trying to reopen; Infection rates were climbing at Nebraska meatpacking plants. Then health officials stopped re

1 view

panaritisp

May 14, 2020, 9:29:12 PM5/14/20
to Six on History

If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana

 Six on Coronavirus: Chris Hayes: Trump Will Try To Lie To You About The Death Toll; 'We can't stay home': how America's poorest state is trying to reopen; Infection rates were climbing at Nebraska meatpacking plants. Then health officials stopped reporting the numbers.; How Pandemics End; Sanders Responds to House Democrats' New Coronavirus Legislation; The Coronavirus Was an Emergency Until Trump Found Out Who Was Dying

Chris Hayes: Trump Will Try To Lie To You About The Death Toll | All In | MSNBC

'We can't stay home': how America's poorest state is trying to reopen coronavirus

"Mississippi has taken a cue from Trump and is attempting to reopen while this week the state reached its highest numbers of coronavirus cases and deaths"

"Mississippi is America’s poorest state: before the pandemic, 20% lived below the poverty line and 600,000 of 2.9 million residents had limited access to healthy food.  ...

Unemployment hit Price, a single father of three living paycheck to paycheck, like a punch to the gut. Having battled homelessness and addiction, he was reminded of such struggles. He has sat on the phone for hours each day, trying in vain to claim unemployment benefits. The state employment department has been overwhelmed by an average of 46,000 new claims a week. Price received a federal stimulus check, a one-off $1,200. It wasn’t enough.

He and his 14-year-old son have taken to mowing lawns for $20 a go and rely on the kindness of neighbours. Price is frank about his desire to return to work, despite the obvious risks.

“I don’t have time to worry about it,” he said. “I have to take care of my family. I just have to lay my faith in God.” ...

“The sun is shining, summer is here,” the Mayor said. “You know, I’ve got things that need to be done in order to maintain our sanity and just our way of life.

“The cure [should not] be worse than the problem,” Gilich added – echoing a catchphrase Trump has used.

This week, the president acknowledged that reopening was likely to cost more lives.

“We have to be warriors,” he said on Wednesday. “We can’t keep our country closed down for years.”

Not all in Biloxi, which voted 64% for Trump in 2016, feel the same.

Lea Campbell, a frontline healthcare worker and community organizer with the Poor People’s Campaign, described the decision to reopen as “an ideological reflection of putting the economy before public health”."

Infection rates were climbing at Nebraska meatpacking plants. Then health officials stopped reporting the numbers.

How Pandemics End

"How will Covid-19 end?

Will that happen with Covid-19?

One possibility, historians say, is that the coronavirus pandemic could end socially before it ends medically. People may grow so tired of the restrictions that they declare the pandemic over, even as the virus continues to smolder in the population and before a vaccine or effective treatment is found.

“I think there is this sort of social psychological issue of exhaustion and frustration,” the Yale historian Naomi Rogers said. “We may be in a moment when people are just saying: ‘That’s enough. I deserve to be able to return to my regular life.’”
It is happening already; in some states, governors have lifted restrictions, allowing hair salons, nail salons and gyms to reopen, in defiance of warnings by public health officials that such steps are premature. As the economic catastrophe wreaked by the lockdowns grows, more and more people may be ready to say “enough.”

“There is this sort of conflict now,” Dr. Rogers said. Public health officials have a medical end in sight, but some members of the public see a social end.

“Who gets to claim the end?” Dr. Rogers said. “If you push back against the notion of its ending, what are you pushing back against? What are you claiming when you say, ‘No, it is not ending.’”

The challenge, Dr. Brandt said, is that there will be no sudden victory. Trying to define the end of the epidemic “will be a long and difficult process.”

Sanders Responds to House Democrats' New Coronavirus Legislation

Image

Sanders Responds to House Democrats' New Coronavirus Legislation

BURLINGTON, May 14 – Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) issued the following statement today regarding this week's coronavirus relief legislation developed by House Democrats:

"Let me thank Speaker Pelosi for recognizing the enormity of the crisis we're facing and coming up with a number of proposals in the coronavirus bill she recently introduced to provide emergency relief to those who desperately need it.

"Clearly, in these unprecedented times, we need to substantially increase funding for state and local governments, provide hazard pay for essential workers and save the Postal Service. I applaud the Speaker for including these, and many other, important provisions in her bill.

"In my view, however, the Senate must improve this legislation if we are to adequately address the two most urgent needs facing working families right now: health care and economic security.

"The coronavirus pandemic has made it clear that everyone in America must receive the health care they need regardless of income, including the tens of millions who have lost their employer-provided insurance. Instead of subsidizing COBRA — which would be a massive giveaway to the health insurance industry — I believe Medicare must be empowered to pay all of the health care bills of the uninsured and under-insured until this crisis is over. This approach will provide coverage to all of our people in a much more cost-effective way.

"Second, if we are to avoid another Great Depression, it is absolutely imperative that every worker in this country continues to receive a paycheck and benefits. In my view, a modest extension in the Employee Retention Tax Credit is not the same as guaranteeing the paychecks of workers and will not provide security for working people. Any legislation in the Senate to address the economic crisis must include a provision to guarantee 100 percent of the paychecks of workers up to $90,000 a year. This is what is being done successfully in many European countries and what should be done here.

"In addition, I believe the Senate must substantially expand direct emergency payments to working families. In my view, one additional $1,200 check is not enough. The Senate must provide a $2,000 per month emergency payment for every American until this crisis is over.

"This unprecedented crisis demands an unprecedented legislative response. I look forward to working with my colleagues in improving and expanding the House bill before it is considered in the Senate."

Contact: pr...@sanders.senate.gov

The Coronavirus Was an Emergency Until Trump Found Out Who Was Dying

The pandemic has exposed the bitter terms of our racial contract, which deems certain lives of greater value than others.

"The coronavirus epidemic has rendered the racial contract visible in multiple ways. Once the disproportionate impact of the epidemic was revealed to the American political and financial elite, many began to regard the rising death toll less as a national emergency than as an inconvenience. Temporary measures meant to prevent the spread of the disease by restricting movement, mandating the wearing of masks, or barring large social gatherings have become the foulest tyranny. The lives of workers at the front lines of the pandemic—such as meatpackers, transportation workers, and grocery clerks—have been deemed so worthless that legislators want to immunize their employers from liability even as they force them to work under unsafe conditions. In East New York, police assault black residents for violating social-distancing rules; in Lower Manhattan, they dole out masks and smiles to white pedestrians.

Donald Trump’s 2016 election campaign, with its vows to enforce state violence against Mexican immigrants, Muslims, and black Americans, was built on a promise to enforce terms of the racial contract that Barack Obama had ostensibly neglected, or violated by his presence. Trump’s administration, in carrying out an explicitly discriminatory agenda that valorizes crueltywar crimes, and the entrenchment of white political power, represents a revitalized commitment to the racial contract.

But the pandemic has introduced a new clause to the racial contract. The lives of disproportionately black and brown workers are being sacrificed to fuel the engine of a faltering economy, by a president who disdains them. This is the COVID contract.

As the first cases of the coronavirus were diagnosed in the United States, in late January and early February, the Trump administration and Fox News were eager to play down the risk it posed. But those early cases, tied to international travel, ensnared many members of the global elite: American celebritiesworld leaders, and those with close ties to Trump himself. By March 16, the president had reversed course, declaring a national emergency and asking Americans to avoid social gatherings.

The purpose of the restrictions was to flatten the curve of infections, to keep the spread of the virus from overwhelming the nation’s medical infrastructure, and to allow the federal government time to build a system of testing and tracing that could contain the outbreak. Although testing capacity is improving, the president has very publicly resisted investing the necessary resources, because testing would reveal more infections; in his words, “by doing all of this testing, we make ourselves look bad.”

Over the weeks that followed the declaration of an emergency, the pandemic worsened and the death toll mounted. Yet by mid-April, conservative broadcasters were decrying the restrictions, small bands of armed protesters were descending on state capitols, and the president was pressing to lift the constraints. ...

The president’s cavalier attitude is at least in part a reflection of his fear that the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus will doom his political fortunes in November. But what connects the rise of the anti-lockdown protests, the president’s dismissal of the carnage predicted by his own administration, and the eagerness of governors all over the country to reopen the economy before developing the capacity to do so safely is the sense that those they consider “regular folks” will be fine.

Many of them will be. People like Ahmaud Arbery, whose lives are depreciated by the terms of the racial contract, will not."
Edward Jenner, one of the early developers of the smallpox vaccine, inoculating a child from the disease in 1796. coronavirus.jpg
Left-disease-1080x675 coronavirus.jpg
Covids-Cost-1080x675 coronavirus.jpg
Free fall coronavirus.jpg
Wear your mask coronavirus.jpg
crossing the Line coronavirus.jpg
Finding the right vaccine coronavirus.jpg
coronavirus-bodies-truck-‘It’s appalling’ Bodies moved in broad daylight at makeshift NYC coronavirus morgue.jpg
The SARS-CoV-2 virus invades human cells by attaching to ACE2 receptors on the surfaces of those cells coronavirus.jpg
coronavirus Isle of Palms police stop each vehicle entering the island from the Isle of Palms connector on Wednesday, March 25, 2020. Area beaches have begun to ease restrictions on visitors.jpg
Kent State had planned an elaborate multi-day commemoration for the 50th anniversary Monday, May 4, 2020. The events were canceled because of social distancing restrictions amid the coronavirus pandemic..jpeg
00VIRUS-HISTORY1-A Sicilian fresco from 1445. In the previous century, the Black Death killed at least a third of Europe’s population. coronavirus.jpg
coronavirus militia open up.jpg
coronavirus opening up Cali.jpg
Trumpf bleach coronavirus.jpg
meatpackers coronavirus food.jpg
Pence coronavirus.jpg
Disinfecting an autopsy table at a plague hospital in Mukden, China, in 1910, during a wave of pneumonic plague, also caused by the bacteria Yersinia pestis coronavirus.jpg
At the beginning of the outbreak, all boroughs had similar infection rates, but over time, the Bronx and Staten Island have pulled away from the others. coronavirus.png
A food bank line in Brooklyn in April coronavirus.jpg
Barns packed with animals are good places to breed pathogens. Within the uniform predictability of modern agriculture, the unpredictable emerges coronavirus.jpg
Demonstrators protest on 23 April against the Trump administration’s handling of the Covid-19 pandemic. coronavirus.jpg
IT’S A PANDEMIC! coronavirus.jpg
Thinking-Snow-1080x675 coronavirus.jpg