Six on Africa: American evangelicals and the extreme homophobia they have helped cultivate in African countries; The Wester

panaritisp

Mar 20, 2019, 2:53:36 PM3/20/19
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Africa: American evangelicals and the extreme homophobia they have helped cultivate in African countries; The Western Erasure of African Tragedy; Rewriting Shirley Graham Du Bois; 'It Was As if We Weren’t Human.' Inside the Modern Slave Trade Trapping African Migrants; A terrible failure to protect school girls in Liberia; The female soldiers of Congo’s wars

American evangelicals and the extreme homophobia they have helped cultivate in African countries

"In August 2018, a six-year-long court process against notorious anti-gay, evangelical pastor Scott Lively came to an end. In 2012, the Center for Constitutional Rights filed a federal lawsuit in the state of Massachusetts against Lively on behalf of Sexual Minorities Uganda, a non-profit umbrella organization for LGBT advocacy in Uganda. The suit alleged that Lively, who had traveled to Uganda in the early 2000s, sought to deprive LGBT individuals in Uganda of their fundamental human rights. In the lengthy court process that followed, U.S. District Judge Michael Ponsor opined that there was no question that Lively’s actions “in aiding and abetting efforts to demonize, intimidate, and injure LGBTI people in Uganda [constituted] violations of international law.”

However, given that the most significant parts of Lively’s conduct occurred on foreign soil, Ponsor decided that the court did not have extraterritorial jurisdiction over the case and dismissed it. In August 2018, Lively sought to have the pieces of Ponsor’s opinion affirming his crimes stricken from the record but was unsuccessful.

Cases like Sexual Minorities Uganda v. Scott Lively provide insight into the bitter history involving American evangelicals and the extreme homophobia they have helped cultivate in African countries like Uganda. Though nearly a decade has passed since the most prominent interventions by American evangelicals, LGBT individuals in Uganda continue to face intense persecution stemming from the rhetoric once used by these evangelicals. With ongoing efforts to repress LGBT individuals and U.S.-based evangelical groups continuing to intervene, activists warn that only a human rights approach — as opposed to an ideological one — can aid LGBT Ugandans’ struggle."

The Western Erasure of African Tragedy

"Media coverage of the crash of Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 framed a horrifying accident in appallingly familiar ways."

"These gaps in consideration emerge from a troubling history. In her 2016 book In the Wake: On Blackness and Being, the Tufts University professor Christina Sharpe argued that black people in America and around the world exist in a state of nonbeing, that the specter of slavery has rendered black pain and death fundamentally incomprehensible to the world: “Living in the wake means living the history and present of terror, from slavery to the present, as the ground of our everyday Black existence.”

Read: How three decades of news coverage have shaped our view of the world

In Sharpe’s analysis, black people do not easily earn sympathy, whether by dying in a plane crash or in an altercation with a police officer. Racist myths challenge the basic tenets of human compassion, even and especially in death. If black people are innately violent, if Africans live on an inherently backwards continent with fundamentally shoddy airlines, then their deaths are not tragedies. They are eventualities. They are facts, not stories.

But what might it look like to consider the immense loss of life each year at the hands of police as more than a statistic, to recount the life lived by each victim with deep attention to that person’s specific histories and particular quirks? How might the reporting on terrorist attacks and other tragedies that occur in Africa shift if considered outside the narrow framework with which Western outlets portray the continent? These are devastatingly simple questions. And many community-driven outlets have been answering them for years.

Shifting the tenor with which African stories, tragic or otherwise, are reported in Western media requires an acknowledgment of both African humanity and all the social forces that have conspired to erode it in the public consciousness. It demands accountability, not to Western audiences for whom proximity is the only shortcut to empathy—but to black victims and the readers who would most easily join their ranks."

Rewriting Shirley Graham Du Bois

"More than two decades ago, I bumped into Shirley Graham Du Bois‘ son, the now deceased David Du Bois, on a midtown Manhattan avenue. It was then that he casually informed me that his mother’s papers resided in the Cairo flat where he then lived. I quickly arranged to fly there and stay there for days on end, taking copious notes, while he performed admirably the role of the gracious host.

Nothing was off limits—except for a file that he had segregated, which I inadvertently read. Therein were love letters between her and a leading Pan-Africanist—not named W.E.B. Du Bois. I deemed it to be unethical to report on this research finding but assumed that at some point in the future, another scholar would: alas, subsequent scholars have informed me that no such cache of letters are with her papers now, presently deposited in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Were these letters destroyed? Are they still in Cairo? Or did David’s segregation save me from the fate of too many biographers: a latter day King Leer?

Whatever the case, I do know that this vignette underscores the age-old point that the duty of the historian is to rewrite history, not least because—inevitably and as may happen in the case of Shirley Graham Du Bois—new records materialize and changing conditions shape our interpretations of history.

On this latter point, in my biography of Shirley Graham Du Bois, I was quite critical of her “Maoism,” the infatuation with China during the height of the “Cultural Revolution,” taking place as she was breathing her last breath in that nation in the late 1970s. Today, I remain critical of this political stance."

 For example, she—and many others such as Amiri Baraka and a good deal of the U.S. delegation to the 6th Pan African Congress in Tanzania—never grasped fully that China had cut an anti-Soviet deal with U.S. imperialism in the early 1970s during President Nixon’s journey there. This deal induced this Asian giant to side with Washington during a true turning point in world and African history: the 1975 proclamation of independence in Angola (a land from which emerged a significant percentage of the people now known as “African-American”), which was vouchsafed by the dispatching of thousands of Cuban troops, opposed by Washington, apartheid South Africa—and “Maoist” China."

'It Was As if We Weren’t Human.' Inside the Modern Slave Trade Trapping African Migrants

CRITICAL NOTES ON HEGEL’S View of Africa 121673-334331-1-SM.pdf
Archaeologists are uncovering footprints on beaches from Canada to South Africa. The oldest human footprints, one of which is shown here, were found in Tanzania and date back over 3 million years.jpg
A mourner arrives wearing a hat bearing a picture of Ahmed Kathrada during his funeral at the Westpark Cemetery in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Wednesday. Kathrada was sentenced to life imprisonment alongside Nelson Man.jpg
Africa_Colonial_map.jpg
africabriefing_small.jpgU.S. Army Africa briefing slide from 2013.jpg
The Campaign in German East Africa 2.JPG
U.S. military outposts, port facilities, and other areas of access in Africa, 2002-2015.jpg
DuBois, 1915 WarRoots. in Africa pdf.pdf
Ernest Hemingway on his first safari in Africa, 1933–1934.jpg
A woman carries water collected from a tanker in Kwandengezi, South Africa,.jpg
authograph-world-map-projection-12.jpgGreenland massive on a Mercator world map, but here's its true size between Africa and South America.jpg
t-o-world-map.jpgThese maps divided the world into three, perfectly divided parts, Asia, Europe, and Africa, with Jerusalem at the center of the world..jpg
Security forces passing near a refugee camp for Nigeriens displaced by Boko Haram attacks, Niger, 2017.jpg
Nairobi, Kenya Twin bombings at U.S. embassies on Aug. 7, 1998, led to decades of counterterrorism efforts in East Africa.jpg
Ongoing armed conflicts in Africa that have caused violent deaths in 2015..jpg
European colonies in Africa.jpg
A protestor holds a placard with a portrait of South African President Jacob Zuma in Pretoria, South Africa, on Friday. Thousands of South Africans demonstrated in major cities against Zuma.jpg
auro’s depiction of Africa..webp
Lake's Rapid Retreat Heightens Troubles in North Africa.pdf
Hundreds of traditional masks from six African countries came to life during the largest International Art and Mask Festival in West Africa in the western Burkina Faso town of Dedougou..jpg
German SW Africa Herero Genocide.jpg
Africa negative stereotypes screenshot.jpg
1584 map of Africa by Abraham Ortelius.jpg
The building’s design alludes to Yoruba art, from West Africa, and to the filigree ironwork made by American slaves..jpg
A Heineken ad in an inner city area of Johannesburg in South Africa..jpg
He Carried Africa in his Heart (Patrice Lumumba).jpg
King’s African Rifles, near Mssindyi, East Africa, September 1917.jpg
Demonstrators protest outside Parliament in Cape Town, South Africa, on Friday against President Jacob Zuma's firing of Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan..jpg