Six on LBGTQ History: Stonewall Outloud: Personal Accounts of the Riots; Before Stonewall; Four years later, we remember Pulse; Gay Civil Rights Leader Bayard Rustin Posthumously Pardoned in California; Inbox x

1 view

philip panaritis

Jun 15, 2020, 5:39:47 PM6/15/20
to Six on History

Six on LBGTQ History: Stonewall Outloud: Personal Accounts of the Riots; Before Stonewall; Four years later, we remember Pulse; Gay Civil Rights Leader Bayard Rustin Posthumously Pardoned in California;

Inbox

Philip Panaritis

Sun, Jun 14, 3:30 PM (1 day ago)
PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

Let me know what you like; what you want to see more/less of @ panar...@yahoo.com
And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here

Thanks

Stonewall OutLoud [download free StoryCorps app]

"In the early hours of June 28, 1969, eight officers from New York City’s public morals squad loaded into four unmarked police cars and headed to the Stonewall Inn at 7th Avenue and Christopher Street. The local precinct had just received a new commanding officer, who kicked off his tenure by initiating a series of raids on gay bars. The Stonewall Inn

was an inviting target ȧ operated by the Gambino crime family without a liquor license, the dance bar drew a crowd of drag queens, hustlers, and minors. It was almost precisely at midnight that the morals squad pulled up to the Stonewall Inn, led by Deputy Inspector Seymour Pine.

At the time, the vice squad routinely raided
gay bars. Patrons always complied with the
police, frightened by the prospect of being
identified in the newspaper. But this particular
Friday night was different. This time, tired of
being harassed by law enforcement, patrons
resisted arrest. The subsequent rioting sparked
a revolution, and a hidden subculture was transformed into a vibrant political movement. What
began with a drag queen clobbering her arresting officer soon escalated into a full-fledged riot, and
modern gay activism was born.
Michael Levine recalls his experience at the Stonewall on June 28, 1969, in a StoryCorps story, “The
lights went up, the music went off, and you could hear a pin drop.”
The police started to say, ”OK everyone, leave,” and the drag queens, they’re the ones who said
to the police, ”We’re not leaving.” And they formed a chorus line outside of the bar. And they
stood there dancing in the street. They were all Puerto Rican drag queens and Irish cops.
It was a funny, funny confrontation. The police would disperse the group and then they would
reform half a block away and dance back toward the Stonewall.1
This sparked the movement for LGBTQ rights that has led to 50 years of action."

Four years later, we remember Pulse

"Four years ago today, a gunman entered the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, and committed one of the most devastating acts of hate we've seen in our nation.

Forty-nine people were killed and 53 others wounded in the attack on the LGBTQ and Latinx communities. We grieve for their families and friends. And, we honor them by showing solidarity with the LGBTQ and Latinx communities and continuing the fight against hate.

The Pulse murders occurred during Pride Month in a nightclub that acted as a haven for LGBTQ people in Orlando to celebrate their whole selves. Anti-LGBTQ hate groups and some members of the radical right, in a sickening display of bigotry, praised the gunman after the attack.

It’s clear that the LGBTQ community remains under threat — the 2019 SPLC Year in Hate and Extremism report showed a nearly 43% spike in anti-LGBTQ hate groups. Groups that vilify the LGBTQ community, the report found, represented the fastest-growing sector among hate groups in 2019, rising from 49 in 2018 to 70 the following year. Much of this growth has taken place among groups at the grassroots level, a surge possibly fueled by continued anti-LGBTQ sentiment and policy emanating from government officials.

The anti-LGBTQ hate groups that we list often couch their opposition to LGBTQ rights in harmful rhetoric and pseudoscience that demonizes LGBTQ people as threats to children, society and often public health. They have also fortified their influence over policy decisions and mainstream culture in recent years. LGBTQ hate even has a home in the halls of the White House: The Trump administration has welcomed members of these hate groups who have designed new, oppressive policies.

The president himself, despite once promising to be a “real friend” to the LGBTQ community, has fully embraced anti-LGBTQ hate groups and their agenda of dismantling federal protections and resources for LGBTQ people."

Four years later, we remember Pulse

Gay Civil Rights Leader Bayard Rustin Posthumously Pardoned in California

Gay Civil Rights Leader Bayard Rustin Posthumously Pardoned in California

unsung_heroes.pdf
Bayard_Rustin_NYWTS_3.jpg
286476978_8517d82880_o.jpg
Teaching_with_Historical_Film_Clips.pdf