Black History is Every Month: Race, not just poverty, shapes who graduates in America; Sympathy for white Austin bomber stirs

panaritisp

Mar 29, 2018, 1:10:10 AM3/29/18
to Six on History

If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Black History is Every Month: Race, not just poverty, shapes who graduates in America; Sympathy for white Austin bomber stirs debate about race; 2 officers in black man's fatal shooting won't be charged; The Best Resources For Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 50 Years After His Assassination; Race is not real: what you see is a power relationship made flesh; Evidence contradicts executed teen's conviction

The Best Resources For Remembering Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 50 Years After His Assassination

Race is not real: what you see is a power relationship made flesh

"We think we know what race is. When the United States Census Bureau says that the country will be majority non-white by 2044, that seems like a simple enough statement. But race has always been a weaselly thing.

Today my students, including Black and Latino students, regularly ask me why Asians (supposedly) ‘assimilate’ with whites more quickly than Blacks and Latinos. Strangely, in the 1920s, the US Supreme Court denied Asians citizenship on the basis that they could never assimilate; fast-forward to today, and Asian immigrants are held up as exemplars of assimilation. The fact that race is unyielding enough to shut out someone from the national community, yet malleable enough for my students to believe that it explains a group’s apparent assimilation, hints at what a shapeshifting adversary race is. Race is incredibly tenacious and unforgiving, a source of grave inequality and injustice. Yet over time, racial categories evolve and shift.

To really grasp race, we must accept a double paradox. ..."

An undated photo provided by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History shows 14-year-old George Stinney Jr., one of the youngest people executed in modern-day South Carolina.jpg
Nationally-black-1ozah5m-1gc5l8o.jpg
weshallovercome_kalman.jpg
Until-the-philosophy.jpg
cover_overlay_20170515.jpg
Bomba dancer in The Bronx.jpg
But-research-Professor-29yarbw-440x1024.jpg
Kimberly Thomas was arrested on gun charges in the Bronx that were later dropped. “For 396 days I have been fighting for my life, my freedom and my sanity,” she said.jpg
black_history_month_books_and_resources.pdf
A school bus drives by the old Company Store in Alcolu, which sits shuttered and falling into disrepair.jpg
Attorney Matt Burgess scoured the historical record and noticed George Stinney's small size when he was executed.jpg
George Stinney Jr., 14, was executed in 1944 less than three months after his arrest..jpg
CoverStory-Niemann-US-Open-879x1200-1472230089 (1).jpgCover Story, Christoph Niemann’s “Serve”.jpg
insert-caricatures.jpg
Human-progress-is.jpg
Forget Wealth And Neighborhood. The Racial Income Gap Persists.jpg
421-flyer.jpeg