panaritisp

Nov 2, 2021, 11:53:20 PM11/2/21
to Six on History

Welcome back to Six on History

PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

Go to the Six on History Archive to search past posts/articles click "labels" on the left when there and the topics will collapse.
Thanks

Emerson..jpg

Phil Panaritis

Six on History: Schools

1) Larry Ferlazzo's First Quarter Assessment: What’s Working – & What Isn’t      – For My Classes & Me; plus Websites of the Day…

  1. Just Sent-Out Free Monthly Email Newsletter
  2. First Quarter Assessment: What’s Working – & What Isn’t – For My Classes & Me
  3. October’s “Best” Lists – There Are Now 2,273 Of Them!
  4. This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Ed Policy Issues
  5. Infographic Of The Week: “Where are the World’s Ongoing Conflicts Today?”
  6. SEL Weekly Update
  7. Sunday’s New Articles & Videos On School Reopening
  8. More Recent Articles
First Quarter Assessment: What’s Working – & What Isn’t – For My Classes & Me

"We’re finishing the first quarter of the school year this week.

I’ll be having students complete anonymous evaluations of each class (see Best Posts On Students Evaluating Classes (And Teachers)), and post those results and my reactions to them.

Today, though, I thought it would be a useful exercise for me – and, perhaps, readers – if I took some time to do my own assessment of the year so far.

So, here goes:

What I Think Is Working

1.Peer tutors working in my ELL classes (see ARE SCHOOLS OVERLOOKING AN OBVIOUS STRATEGY THEY CAN IMPLEMENT IMMEDIATELY TO ACCELERATE LEARNING? PEER TUTORS!). I’ve always had one-or-two, but having six-to-ten changes the whole ballgame, and is a very realistic way to accelerate learning (see The Best Resources About Accelerated Learning).  In fact, it’s been so effective that our school has already decided to continue it next year and open it up to potential volunteers from the entire student body (right now, tutors are only advanced ELLs from my previous classes, and my previous IB Theory of Knowledge students).

2. Peer mentors assisting ninth-graders.  Every year students from my IB Theory of Knowledge class act as mentors to classes of ninth-graders (see Being A Mentor At Our School May Have Resulted In Improved Grades For The…Mentors).  Last year, of course, we weren’t able to do it.  We began it earlier this month, and it seems to be going very well.

3. The websites and materials I’m using in classes.  I think I’ve made good choices for them (see THESE ARE THE PRIMARY TEXTS, ONLINE SITES & OTHER RESOURCES I’M USING IN MY CLASSES THIS YEAR).

4. Weekly student check-ins via Google Forms. During remote teaching, I had students complete simple weekly forms letting me know how they were doing, and found the information was invaluable.  I’ve continued the practice with similar results.

5. My overall teaching and the level of emotional support I’ve been providing to students. I usually am a very active teacher in the classroom, and generally work hard at being personally supportive of students. I have doing the same this year, and have also, I think, been successful at hiding the exhaustion doing these two things well have contributed to…Unfortunately, I’m not sure how sustainable this is for the rest of the year (see the “What’s Not Working &/Or What Needs To Change”).

6. I’m pleased with the generally positive student attitude, including compliance with the mask mandate. Students seem genuinely happy to be back, and I have less-than-a-handful of students who I have to regularly remind to keep their noses covered.  Students know they have permission to step outside of the classroom at any time if they feel like they want to move it off their nose for a moment, but practically no one has done so – knowing they can, though, I believe makes a big difference.   Our district has a student vaccination mandate going into effect on November 30th, but I doubt that will impact the mask mandate because I believe it will be relatively easy to get personal exemptions (though that means those students will have to get regularly tested).

What’s Not Working &/Or What Needs To Change

1. My typical level of very active teaching and being very present to support students’ emotional needs is probably not sustainable.  I typically – and voluntarily – teach many different classes during a school year, and pandemic exhaustion and my age is probably catching up to me.  Having the large number of peer tutors in each class is a tremendous asset to students, but I underestimated the additional time and effort it would take for me to plan for – and support – them.  My ELL students do a fair number of presentations, and I think I need to intentionally build in a day each week when they spend the bulk of a period preparing one, with peer tutors having the primary responsibility to support them while I can spend time planning and assessing student work, along with assisting last year’s TOK students with their IB Essays, at my desk (in past years, we’d get subs to give me time for that last task, but they’re not available this year).  I just can’t continue to spend so much of my time at home doing class work.  Fortunately, beginning this week and then every two months afterwards, I should be able to have a week in my IB Theory of Knowledge classes where I can do planning while students are preparing their “TOK Exhibitions” – initially practice ones, leading up to the official assessment.

Over the longer-term, I have informed our school leadership that beginning next year the number of different classes that I can teach must approach a more “normal” load.  Again, there has never been any pressure on me to teach as many different classes as I do – it’s always been voluntary on my part.

2. Nearly twenty percent of my students seem to have a substantial self-control problem related to cellphone use.  There have always be some students with cellphone issues, but it seems like the pandemic has increased their number and the level of their “addiction” to it.  I don’t have a blanket “no cellphone policy” – if there is a family or work issue, or if they are using it for class, it’s fine, and eighty percent of students respect that rule.  After gradually increasing consequences, last week I announced that I would take cellphones the first time I saw them and return them at the end of class.  I will reiterate that new rule and consequence, but also teach about The Marshmallow Test and the value of self control. I’ve written many posts over the years about how I have helped students (sometimes) develop greater self-control. The first one was titled “I Like This Lesson Because It Make Me Have a Longer Temper” and you can see all the rest at The Best Posts About Helping Students Develop Their Capacity For Self-Control. They all have varying degrees of success, but it’s worth a shot.

3. I need to institute Student Leadership Teams in each class very soon. I’ve written about the Student Leadership Teams I created in all my classes last year.  I have been meaning to do the same this year, but have found  the required time and energy has been “a bridge too far.”  I just haven’t had “mental bandwidth” to work on it.  This week, however, I’m starting to create them in my TOK classes and they will gradually expand to my ELL classes.  They should make the classes go more smoothly, and make me a better teacher.

Here’s my regular round-up of new “The Best…” lists I posted this month (you can see all 2,273 of them categorized here – you might also want to check out THREE ACCESSIBLE WAYS TO SEARCH FOR & FIND MY “BEST” LISTS).

This new school year has been hectic for all of us, and I only posted one new list this month.  My annual end-of-the-year “Best” lists will also be late – I don’t expect to get to them until Winter Break.

Here’s the list from this month:

THE BEST ONLINE TOOLS TO SEE NEWSPAPERS FROM AROUND THE WORLD

"Why poems? Because in writing posts for this blog and for books I have written over the past half-century, I have used expository writing. I describe, analyze, and try to capture school reform, policy-making, and the practice of teaching using facts, evidence, and explanation. I aim at the brain, not the heart.

Yet art, dance, drama, short stories, novels, and poetry–even cartoons–can capture features of teaching and learning, particularly what teachers and students feel in ways that exposition cannot.

I am neither a poet nor an aspiring one. I offer these as ones that stirred me, that captured in vivid language what teachers and students feel and do.:

The Hand

Mary Ruefle, 1996

"The teacher asks a question.

You know the answer, you suspect

you are the only one in the classroom

who knows the answer, because the person

in question is yourself, and on that

you are the greatest living authority, but you don’t raise your hand.

You raise the top of your desk and take out an apple.

You look out the window.

You don’t raise your hand and there is

some essential beauty in your fingers,

which aren’t even drumming, but lie flat and peaceful.

The teacher repeats the question.

Outside the window, on an overhanging branch, a robin is ruffling its feathers

and spring is in the air."

... "

3) Teach For All Counter-NarrativesTC Record

reviewed by Maria Assunção Flores & Cheryl J. Craig - November 01, 2021

Title: Teach For All Counter-Narratives
Author(s): T. Jameson Brewer, Kathleen deMarrais, & Kelly L. McFaden
Publisher: Peter Lang Publishing, New York
ISBN: 1433172127, Pages: 151, Year: 2020
Search for book at Amazon.com

"Teach for All Counter-Narratives. International Perspectives on a Global Reform Movement addresses an increasingly global and critical issue in teacher education. Drawing on contributions from nine countries, this volume explores the rationale and modus operandi of the Teach for All organization viewed through the eyes and voices of authors who have been directly and indirectly linked to the organization or who have examined its aims and rationale. The rapid and consistent growth of the organization at an international level is analyzed with implications for teacher preparation and the teaching profession.

In the Introduction, the editors set the scene of the global reform movement and provide the reader with the background of the book. It is argued that “iterations of TFAll across the globe consistently ignore cultural and contextual factors in their delivery of pedagogy” (p. 3). The international counter-narratives are illustrative of a global movement towards the pro-privatization and standardization reforms. The valorization of the work of alumni focusing on policy decisions or leadership positions in detriment to the work of teaching is aligned with the idea of promoting “agendas favorable to TFAll and the Global Education Reform Movement.” The attractiveness of the language inherent to the TFAll organization is argued, as well as the role that counter-narratives play in unveiling and making public given narratives and in transforming the stakeholders. The book includes stories from a diversity of jurisdictions across the globe based upon firsthand experience and research-based accounts of the TFAll network in India, Sweden, the United Kingdom, South Africa, New Zealand, China, Argentina, and Latvia. Such narratives point to consistent themes that emerge regardless of the context.

For nearly a half century, a narrative turn has been underway in the humanities and social sciences, most especially in education (Goodson & Gill, 2011).  While the nature of the narrative turn is disputed, other understandings about narrative remain uncontested. One point of agreement is that stories can do and undo things. They can “emancipate” or “paralyze” (Kearney & Taylor, 2005, p. 21). They can “form” or they [can] “malform” (Strauss, 2016, p. 195). In short, stories can be dangerous things (King, 2003). Enter Teach For All Counter-Narratives: International Perspectives on a Global Reform Movement, a volume which tells the story of Teach for America’s spread to 48 countries since its U.S. inception in 1989 (see Introduction). This 2020 volume is a sequel to Brewer and deMarrais’s 2015 book, Teach For America Counter-Narratives: Alumni Speak up and Speak Out. The latter’s extensive reach through multiple media channels contributed to some of Teach for America’s undoing. What was touted in 2015 as a panacea to the failure of public education and conventional teacher certification became exposed for the ruse it appeared to be: a neo-liberal attempt to destroy the teaching profession through the “manufactured expertise” (Brewer, 2016) of alternately certificated teachers who would move on to jobs more commensurate with their highbrow educations. As for the current book, it focuses on how Teach for America’s homegrown story affected the world. As “new wine in an old bottle,” Teach For All Counter-Narratives offers firsthand accounts from those alternately certified by the program and their awakenings to its “colonizing nature” (back cover comment). When particular facets of the Teach for All program are peeled back, its privatization agenda, stemming from the neo-liberal ideology, appears to lay bare what lies at the core of global education reform.

Along with the book’s introduction, which sets the backdrop for the counter-narrative, two sections organize the chapters thematically. Section 1 addresses colonialism, social justice, inequality, and deficit ideologies (four chapters) while Section 2 takes up the emphasis on leadership cultivation over teaching (five chapters). Each chapter will now be surveyed with emphasis placed on key points.

The first section, “Colonialism, Social Justice, Inequality, and Deficit Ideologies,” comprises four chapters. In the first chapter “The Non-Project,” Jenny Elliot, from the UK, reports on Edith’s story and her struggle to develop a collaborative project in South Africa which ended up to be a rather challenging and stressful experience. The author discusses issues of power and colonialism and argues that “TFAll is better understood as a neo-colonial vehicle for spreading a particular Western message about teaching and learning.” The second chapter, “A Tale from the Tail of the Fish” by Nickie Muir, from New Zealand, includes a personal and vivid account of experiencing TFNZ. Muir’s chapter describes how the “faux elitism of being recruited as ‘quality candidates’” outside the communities and the focus on leadership (“quality leaders”) rather than on teaching contributes to the undervaluing and de-professionalization of the teaching profession (only six weeks teaching practice). Such contradictory messages, the author argued, mitigate against the idea of equity and social justice as well as issues of voice and participation, as the “discourse within the organization was not robust enough to encompass sufficient dissent or to listen carefully enough to those in the field.” In a similar vein, Yue Melody Yin and Hilary Hughes, in their chapter “Disparities Between Expectations and Impact in Fellows’ Experience of an Alternative Teaching Program in China,” report on a study of the transition of 14 graduates from prestigious Chinese universities into teaching fellows in disadvantaged schools through a program titled “Exceptional Graduates as Rural Teachers” (EGRT). The authors conclude that the program is aligned with the international movement’s purported vision that “every child deserves a good education” and “teaching as a form of leadership.” A mismatch between the fellows’ expectations and perceived impacts of their teaching through the EGRT program in disadvantaged rural schools, however, was found as well as negative emotions associated with their experiences. Such findings were related to the “pervasive deficit discourse about social conditions and inhabitants of rural communities, especially in the EGRT marketing, recruitment, and training materials.” The first section then ends with the chapter “Teach First Ask Questions Later: Experiencing a Policy Entrepreneur in New Zealand,” by Sam Oldham. A personal reflection on a firsthand experience in TFNZ led Oldham to question “the sophistication of its marketing, communications, and specific aspects of its training” and “the gulf between what it claims to be and the reality of what it is.” He highlights the survival logic of the organization “over the interests of students and teachers,” and is critical of its claims to reduce educational inequality by appointing unqualified, inexperienced trainees to low-income schools.

The second section of the book, “Leadership Cultivation Over Teaching,” spans five chapters. Sara G. Lam, Tongji Philip Qian, and Fan Ada Wang, in their chapter “Leaders in the Community or Educators in the Classroom? Problematic Dual Roles of Fellows at Teach For China,” focus on the relationship between leadership and teaching. The authors discuss the development of projects for community change and the focus on research and communication skills within TFC. They highlight the tensions between the dual goal of cultivating teachers and leaders, and question the pedagogical expertise acquired by the TFC fellows in the program. These authors also issue warnings about the de-professionalization of the teaching profession. A similar view is held by Elīna Bogusa and Leva Bērzina. In their chapter “Teach For All in Latvia: A Case Study and Warning to the World,” the authors make the case that the focus of the program is not on developing quality teachers, but on the organization itself. This emphasis is linked to the goal of moving teachers out of the classroom to assume leadership and policy-making positions aligned within the idea of standardization of education and deregulation of teacher preparation. In the chapter “Meritocracy and Leadership: The Keys to Social and Educational Change According to Enseñá por Argentina,” Victoria Matozo and Adriana Saavedra report on a firsthand experience in the organization and highlight the seductive language around transforming students’ lives through leadership. They draw attention to the lack of subject and pedagogy knowledge, as “teaching seemed to be an ‘accessory’ on our leadership career.” This view is corroborated by Vidya K. Subramanian in “‘We aren’t teachers, we are leaders’: Situating the Teach For India programme.” In this chapter, Subramanian reports findings from in-depth interview research with two cohorts of TFI Fellows. Subramanian examines the “discourses of leadership” which entail a rather simplistic approach “to poorly trained teachers in a segment of under resourced urban public schools catering to underprivileged children.” In the final chapter, “Sign of the Times: Teach For Sweden and the Broken Swedish Education System,” P.S. Myers looks at the “cultivated official narrative” based on governmental documents, news publications, organizational websites, and other promotional material. The author questions TFS’s savior narratives and deficit ideology, as well as its emphasis on “producing school leaders to replicate their ideology from empowered positions to increasing numbers of students.” The argument focuses on the role of well-positioned TFS alumni to “affect larger numbers of students and continue to shape the narratives around what teachers can and cannot do—in all likelihood, a set of solutions that not only persists in misidentifying the problem but stands to make it worse.

SYNTHESIS AND CLOSING WORDS

Global movement, seductive language, focus on leadership rather than teaching, international perspectives—these are key features of this book which contribute to understanding the dynamics and multilayered TFAll organization in its dominant discourses amid its global and local realities. Such perspectives are critical to discussing what can be seen as an overall move towards the de-professionalization and deskilling of teachers through stymying teacher professionalism and consistent, in-depth teacher preparation. Such is the contribution of this book to the international understanding of alternate modes of teacher education and the widespread discussion of a contradictory trend in international teacher education: the editors’ and authors’ counter-narrative of TFAll, which avers that the story that global TFAll is attempting to overthrow is not a better solution than the one it is dislodging. Those interested in teacher education will find good reasons to read this book in order to deeply understand its international and local dimensions. In particular, reading this volume implies the careful examination of what can be seen as a global movement with critical implications for the reconfiguration of teacher education and the future of the teaching profession."