Six on Coronavirus: Where did the novel coronavirus come from?; COVID-19 Hits NYC’s Black and Brown Working Class the Hardest; Lessons are learned from every pandemic. And every time, we forget them; FAIR: A Pandemic Is Not a War; Things Won’t Just G

panaritisp

May 1, 2020, 3:14:38 AM5/1/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

Six on Coronavirus: Where did the novel coronavirus come from?; COVID-19 Hits NYC’s Black and Brown Working Class the Hardest; Lessons are learned from every pandemic. And every time, we forget them; FAIR: A Pandemic Is Not a War; Things Won’t Just Go Back to ‘Normal’ After the Coronavirus Pandemic Ends; Orhan Pamuk: What the Great Pandemic Novels Teach Us

Where did the novel coronavirus come from?

China’s opacity has allowed dangerous conspiracy theories to flourish

"Where did it come from? After five months and over 225,000 deaths, the question is the subject of a vicious spat between America and China. By far the most likely explanation is that the virus jumped from bats to humans, perhaps via another animal such as a pangolin, at a wet market in Wuhan (see article). But conspiracy theorists mutter that the bug could have escaped from one of the city’s laboratories, at least two of which research into infectious diseases. Some American politicians, including President Donald Trump, want an investigation; China retorts that the claims are “malicious”. In March one of its spokesmen claimed the virus might have come from America. The row risks corroding public confidence in the crucial work disease laboratories do around the world. It is also a reminder of why China’s official culture of opacity and propaganda is such a profound weakness."

Where did the novel coronavirus come from?

COVID-19 Hits NYC’s Black and Brown Working Class the Hardest

"In the month since Gov. Andrew Cuomo instituted a stay-at-home order, New York City has taken on a different atmosphere. Once busy gridlocked streets now flow freely, and inside their homes, New Yorkers are learning how to adjust to life via their laptops, relying more on home delivery for goods and services. For many, the physical world is temporarily circumscribed, yet this is only made possible by an army of workers without the luxury to socially distance. In the Bronx, these workers and their families come from marginalized communities, where pre-existing vulnerabilities have exacerbated the crisis.

Assatou Kone is one of the many essential workers for whom life has not paused.

“It is stressful,” she says. “I was one of the people who supported shutting down the MTA to get this virus under control. Councilmember Mark Levine posted a hashtag that said shut down the MTA and I definitely supported it.“

On her commute, Kone must not only navigate the city but a deadly virus as well. Normally mundane choices such as where to stand are now perilous.

Without a complete shutdown, Kone, a political science major at City College who lives alone, has continued to work to pay her rent and tuition. Recently, with CUNY moving to distanced learning, she has had to install internet in her home. After multiple unsuccessful attempts to enroll in Optimum’s free student package and with assignments due, she added broadband to her monthly expenses.

Living off the 6 Line near St. Lawrence Avenue, she commutes 50 minutes for her shifts as a manager at a large fast-food chain on the Upper West Side. The subway has a different atmosphere these days. Some subway cars have become de facto dormitories for the homeless, while workers fill other cars, unable to adhere to the mandated 6-feet social distance.

“There are people who will stand right next to you,” says Kone, who transfers from the 6 to the crosstown bus at 72nd Street, not only navigating the city but the deadly virus as well. Normally mundane choices such as where to sit or stand are now perilous. “You need to make a decision between the homeless laying in the other car or sitting next to somebody.”

Throughout her commute, Kone sees construction workers, healthcare staff and nonuniform essential workers, but something else sticks out to her about these straphangers. They are near uniformly black and brown.

“I may be only see one white person a week,” she says.

While Kone has been fortunate to stay healthy, commuting with the mask and gloves her employer provides, many Bronxites have not been so lucky, dying at double the rate of any other borough.

The city has begun releasing statistics on race and COVID-19 infections after calls from advocates to do so. They show that black and Latino New Yorkers are disproportionately testing positive for the disease and are dying at double the rate of other racial groups. In response to the racial disparities, the scholar Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor recently changed the adage “When white America catches a cold, black America gets pneumonia” to “When white America catches novel coronavirus, black Americans die.”

In attempting to explain these disparities, Surgeon General Jerome Adams urged African Americans to “stop drinking, smoking or doing drugs to protect those who are most vulnerable.”

The hardest stricken areas of New York tell a different story: pre-vulnerabilities to the virus are directly connected to a history of environmental racism and economic inequality.

“One of the large misconceptions is that people of color are more susceptible to this virus,” says Earle Chambers, associate professor of family and social medicine at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. “There are conditions like the inability to socially distance, underlying health conditions and health risks that make communities of color more at risk for morbidity and mortality.”

Lessons are learned from every pandemic. And every time, we forget them

"Some time in the future, when all of this is finally over, there will be a postmortem effort on a scale this country has probably never before seen.

Provinces will assemble their own regional inquiries. There will be a massive, multi-pronged federal royal commission. Newly created bodies will undertake their own investigations, as will professional organizations representing essential emergency personnel. And each final report will culminate with a list of critical recommendations to implement in time for when the next novel virus makes its way to Canada.

It will take years of inquiry to fill in the details, but we know now – even in the midst of the current COVID-19 pandemic – what many of those reports will advise: A serious bolstering of public health budgets, perhaps with federal health transfers earmarked specifically for public health; careful tracking and maintenance of infectious-disease laboratories in order to keep up with surge demand during a pandemic; better integration and preservation of the National Emergency Stockpile System; an overhaul of long-term care homes to include space to quarantine infected residents, personal protective equipment for staff and systemic funding and regulatory changes such that personal support workers don’t need to work in multiple homes to earn a proper living. This is a non-exhaustive list.

The above recommendations should all sound familiar – they are, in fact, recycled from postmortem reports on Canada’s response to SARS nearly two decades ago. Indeed, the SARS Commission specifically warned of the dangers of unco-ordinated, underresourced public health agencies. The National Advisory Committee on SARS and Public Health emphasized the need for robust and dynamic emergency stockpiles. The Registered Nurses Association of Ontario documented the “extreme overreliance” on part-time and casual staff, which chronically plagues long-term care. We knew of all of these issues long before COVID-19 was first reported in China. But in the years since SARS, we’ve lost the impetus for actually putting these measures into practice.

The SARS Commission was prescient in anticipating the deleterious effect time could have on its recommendations. “As the memory of SARS fades,” it warned, “as budget pressures loom and when there is so much talk about change, it is important that governments, local, provincial and federal, are held to the talk: that talk becomes action and that necessary resource levels are maintained and are not permitted to decline.”

FAIR: A Pandemic Is Not a War

"Us Against Them

War always has an enemy. Identifying the virus, Levenson calls it “an enemy who can strike at any time,” using the personalized who instead of the impersonal that. In war discourse, the enemy is a personalized target, not a virus. Enemies are always at fault. The communist, the illegal alien or the terrorist can never be negotiated with, for they are demonized and outside the bounds of our own humanity.

Like all the enemies identified in Trump’s lexicon of hate and xenophobia, Covid-19 is exoticized as the “China Virus.” The enemies of war are dehumanized, positioned on the other side of a wall between us and them. They are part of a vision of a world divided in conflict, at a time when the best way to deal with this pandemic is collectively, at the local and global levels. But instead of joining international efforts to contain the pandemic, the US is still targeting enemies, sanctioning Iran and exacerbating the humanitarian crisis there, engaging in regime change in Venezuela, cheered on by media, and bombing Iraq. While the World Health Organization has organized an international consortium called Solidarity, to advance as quickly as possible, global research needed to develop treatments, anti-viral drugs and a vaccine, Trump has vowed to cut off US funding for WHO."

 If the Great Depression Is Any Indication, Things Won’t Just Go Back to ‘Normal’ After the Coronavirus Pandemic Ends

"Today’s Americans may not emerge from the coronavirus siege embracing anything approaching the extreme, self-imposed austerity of those directly impacted by the Great Depression, and no reduction in federal responsibilities in the current situation is likely to take the country all the way back to pre-New Deal mode. Still, it would be unwise to assume that the severe jolt to their sense of physical as well as material well-being inflicted by this crisis will leave no mark on their habits and attitudes going forward. There is no accounting for the psychological effects of stressing out—even if for a much shorter period than the Depression—not only about the security of your job or your 401(k) plan but the prospect that you or someone you care about might suddenly fall ill and die. Like other era-defining historical trials, the Great Depression finally passed. But both on an individual and a governmental level, the end did not signal a return to status quo. While the history of crises past seems to assure us that, one way or another, today’s will eventually recede, that history just as surely cautions us against assuming we can anticipate what the world may look like when it does."

If the Great Depression Is Any Indication, Things Won’t Just Go Back to ‘Normal’ After the Coronavirus Pandemic Ends

Orhan Pamuk: What the Great Pandemic Novels Teach Us

"But today we have access to a greater volume of reliable information about the pandemic we are living through than people have ever had in any previous pandemic. That is also what makes the powerful and justifiable fear we are all feeling today so different. Our terror is fed less by rumors and based more on accurate information.

As we see the red dots on the maps of our countries and the world multiply, we realize there is nowhere left to escape to. We do not even need our imagination to start fearing the worst. We watch videos of convoys of big black army trucks carrying dead bodies from small Italian towns to nearby crematories as if we were watching our own funeral processions.

The terror we are feeling, however, excludes imagination and individuality, and it reveals how unexpectedly similar our fragile lives and shared humanity really are. Fear, like the thought of dying, makes us feel alone, but the recognition that we are all experiencing a similar anguish draws us out of our loneliness.

The knowledge that the whole of humanity, from Thailand to New York, shares our anxieties about how and where to use a face mask, the safest way to deal with the food we have bought from the grocer and whether to self-quarantine is a constant reminder that we are not alone. It begets a sense of solidarity. We are no longer mortified by our fear; we discover a humility in it that encourages mutual understanding.

When I watch the televised images of people waiting outside the world’s biggest hospitals, I can see that my terror is shared by the rest of the humanity, and I do not feel alone. In time I feel less ashamed of my fear, and increasingly come to see it as a perfectly sensible response. I am reminded of that adage about pandemics and plagues, that those who are afraid live longer.

Eventually I realize that fear elicits two distinct responses in me, and perhaps in all of us. Sometimes it causes me to withdraw into myself, toward solitude and silence. But other times it teaches me to be humble and to practice solidarity."

Cheers coronavirus.jpg
Trumpf coronavirus war room.jpg
nursing homes coronavirus.jpg
Earth Day coronavirus.jpg
summer vacation coronavirus.jpg
handshake coronavirus.jpg
Reopening coronavirus.jpg
A protester at the prime minister’s offices in Warsaw on Wednesday. Most Earth Day events have shifted online coronavirus.jpg
Engraving showing men in a churchyard, preparing to place bodies into an open grave during the Plague of London, from Daniel Defoe’s “A Journal of the Plague Year” (1722) coronavirus.jpg
coronavirus-reopening-science-01 Testing site staff measure out six feet on the pavement for social distancing at a COVID-19 mobile testing station in Compton, Calif., on April 28, 2020..jpg
philadelphia It was the summer of 1918 and the Spanish Flu had already ravaged much of the world— including millions of deaths in the United States coronavirus.jpg
TIM200511_Nope.Cover_coronavirus.jpg
coronavirus Comedy hour.jpg
Protesters march through downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, demanding that the coronavirus lockdown end.jpg
coronavirus coping with staying home.jpg
coronavirus nurses.jpg
coronavirus Trump 41.jpg
coronavirus Trump don't speak.jpg
coronavirus selfless heroes.jpg
coronavirus Fauci v. Trumpf.jpg
coronavirus Reopen America.jpg
coronavirus trumpf responsibility.jpg
coronavirus-bodies-truck-011nvestigators outside the Andrew T. Cleckley Funeral Home.jpg
Trumpf coronavirus Firesdie Chat.jpg
online school coronavirus.jpg
Spring break coronavirus.jpg
Sports tv coronavirus.jpg