Black History is Every Month: A New Literary Timeline of African-American History; Rhae Lynn Barnes on the History of Blackface; July 1941; "Girl in picket line; A Time to Break Silence: By Rev. Martin Luther King; Michele Alexander: The Injustice of

panaritisp

Feb 6, 2020, 7:42:37 PM2/6/20
to Six on History
PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

Let me know what you like; what you want to see more/less of @ panar...@yahoo.com
And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here

Thanks

 Black History is Every Month: A New Literary Timeline of African-American History; Rhae Lynn Barnes on the History of Blackface; July 1941; "Girl in picket line; A Time to Break Silence: By Rev. Martin Luther King; Michele Alexander: The Injustice of This Moment Is Not an ‘Aberration’; Slavery In New York And Resistance To It

A New Literary Timeline of African-American History

We asked 16 writers to bring consequential moments in African-American history to life. Here are their poems and stories.

August 1619

A poem by Clint Smith

In Aug. 1619, a ship arrived in Point Comfort, Va., carrying more than 20 enslaved Africans, the first on record to be brought to the English colony of Virginia. They were among the 12.5 million Africans forced into the trans-Atlantic slave trade, their journey to the New World today known as the Middle Passage.

"Over the course of 350 years,36,000 slave ships crossed the AtlanticOcean. I walk over to the globe & move

my finger back & forth betweenthe fragile continents. I try to keepcount how many times I drag

my hand across the bristledhemispheres, but grow weary of chasinga history that swallowed me.

For every hundred people who werecaptured & enslaved, forty died before theyever reached the New World.

I pull my index finger from Angolato Brazil & feel the bodies jumping fromthe ship.

I drag my thumb from Ghanato Jamaica & feel the weight of dysenterymake an anvil of my touch.

I slide my ring finger from Senegalto South Carolina & feel the oceanseparate a million families.

The soft hum of history spinson its tilted axis. A cavalcade of ghost shipswash their hands of all they carried."

Michele Alexander: The Injustice of This Moment Is Not an ‘Aberration’

A man has his eyes cleaned after he was pepper sprayed by the Baltimore Police at the corner of Pennsylvania and North avenues during violent protests, April 27..jpg
obit-ehrlichman.jpgEhrlichman, who died in 1999, admitted that the administration’s War on Drugs was actually a ploy to target left-wing protesters and African-Americans..jpg
A photo collected by W.E.B. DuBois shows shows African Americans in a woodworking shop at Claflin University, in Orangeburg, S.C, shortly after Reconstruction ended..jpg
Atlas of African American History Tuskegee Airmen map.jpg
Hampton Institute, Hampton, Va., 1899 - male and female African American and Indian students in Ancient History class studying Egypt.jpg
historyofhuntspoinFoxhurst african american slave burial.JPG
Prominent-black-businessman-George-Downing-and-family-credit-Museum-of-African-American-History1.jpg
historyofhuntspoinFoxhurst african american slave burial.JPG
African American schoolo in the south1920.jpg
Martin Luther King Prayer Pilgrimage 1957.jpg
5-17-1960- New York, NY Kress Picketed - pickets representing CORE, before the building housing the main office of the S. H. Kress Company 114th 5th Avenue - Copy.jpg
045019_70_antiwar_8 1970 -- A campus flier with times and locations for draft protests.jpg
5-17-1960- New York, NY Kress Picketed - pickets representing CORE, before the building housing the main office of the S. H. Kress Company 114th 5th Avenue.jpg
AASuffrageQuotes.doc
W.E.B. DUBOIS and the Niagara Movement, 1906.doc
Baldwin. The Negro Past.doc
Find Someone Who, civil rights 4-8-16.doc
Civil Rights Act ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS.doc
OCHLBROW.doc
South says never.docx
Stokely Carmichael, growing up in Morris Park PS 34 and PS 83 - Copy.doc
ThurMarshall 1976.doc
protestsongs3.jpg
ThurMarshall.DOC
TMLYNCHG.DOC
TMorrison Race.DOC
Between 3.3 to 4.2 million people made yesterday’s protests largest in US history.jpg
The African-American poet Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer, in 1907..jpg
A Greek-owned diner in Pittsburgh’s Hill District circa 1930s. The owners are pictured serving African-American patrons more than three decades before the Civil Rights Movement would take place..jpg
African-American students arrive at school in Van Buren, Arkansas, the year after the Little Rock Nine integrated Little Rock's public schools, September 1958..jpg
African-American students arrive at Little Rock Central High under heavy guard by troops from the 101st Airborne, 1957..jpg
Arkansas National Guardsmen prevent African American students from entering Little Rock Central High School, September 1957..jpg