Black History is Every Month: (1951) We Charge Genocide: Petition to the United Nations for Relief From a Crime of The United States Government Against the Negro People; That's Not Who We Are -- comics about racism; Voices of Freedom Outside the Sout

panaritisp

Jul 24, 2019, 9:39:45 PM7/24/19
to Six on History

If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Black History is Every Month: (1951) We Charge Genocide: Petition to the United Nations for Relief From a Crime of The United States Government Against the Negro People; That's Not Who We Are -- comics about racism; Voices of Freedom Outside the South: An Oral History Resource; Trump Employs an Old Tactic: Using Race for Gain; Jazz and Justice: A New Book on Racism and the Political Economy of the Music

Black History is Every Month: (1951) We Charge Genocide: Petition to the United Nations for Relief From a Crime of The United States Government Against the Negro People;

Civil Rights Congress, We Charge Genocide: The Historic Petition to the
United Nations for Relief From a Crime of The United States Government
Against the Negro People
(New York: Civil Rights Congress, 1951), pp
xi-xiii, 3-10.

"There was a time when racist violence had its center in the South.  But as the Negro people spread to the north, east and west seeking to escape the southern hell, the violence, impelled in the first instance by economic motives, followed them, its cause also economic.  Once most of the violence against Negroes occurred in the countryside, but that was before the Negro emigrations of the twenties and thirties.  Now there is not a great American city from New York to Cleveland or Detroit, from Washington, the nation’s capital, to Chicago, from Memphis to Atlanta or Birmingham, form New Orleans to Los Angeles, that is not disgraced by the wanton killing of innocent Negroes.  It is no longer a sectional phenomenon.

Once the classic method of lynching was the rope. Now it is the policeman’s bullet.  To many an American the police are the government, certainly its most visible representative.  We submit that the evidence suggests that the killing of Negroes has become police policy in the United States and that police policy is the most practical expression of government policy.

Our evidence is admittedly incomplete.  It is our hope that the United Nations will complete it.  Much of the evidence, particularly of violence, was gained from the files of Negro newspapers, from the labor press, from the annual reports of Negro societies and established Negro year books.  A list is appended.

But by far the majority of Negro murders are never recorded, never known except to the perpetrators and the bereaved survivors of the victim.  Negro men and women leave their homes and are never seen alive again.  Sometimes weeks later their bodies, or bodies thought to be their and often horribly mutilated, are found in the woods or washed up on the shore of a river or lake.  This is a well known pattern of American culture. In many sections of the country police do not even bother to record the murder of Negroes.  Most white newspapers have a policy of not publishing anything concerning murders of Negroes or assaults upon them.  These unrecorded deaths are the rule rather than the exception—thus our evidence, though voluminous, is scanty when compared to the actuality."

(1951) We Charge Genocide

Voices of Freedom Outside the South: An Oral History Resource

"Meanwhile, students, scholars, and archivists have carried out innumerable oral history interviews with Black folks in the North who found themselves displaced by “urban renewal” and fought against (see Voices of Rondo: Oral Histories of Saint Paul’s Black Community), who unionized in the midst of deindustrialization (see Detroit Lives), and who developed pathbreaking feminist projects (see How We Get Free: Black Feminism and the Combahee River Collective).

These and other oral history collections stand to contribute markedly to our understanding of the trajectory, tactics, critiques, and goals of Black freedom movements outside the South. They may also be some of our best entry points for engaging students on these questions.

Below, I lay out an oral history companion to the movement in the North. Because large cities like Los Angeles and New York feature relatively heavily in the scholarship on the movement outside the South, this companion focuses on four mid- to large-sized urban centers: DetroitMilwaukee, Rochester (NY), and Seattle. In addition, oral history interviews from leading Black feminists and gender warriors are included to ensure that the full breadth and richness of Northern Black politics in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s comes into view. Each interview is accompanied by just a few of the key organizations, people, and issues that these oral histories touch on."

Voices of Freedom Outside the South: An Oral History Resource – AAIHS

“Walk to Freedom,” Detroit, Michigan, 1963 Civil Rights.jpg
BirminghamProtest observer (Walter Gadsden, 17) in Birmingham, Alabama, USA, on 3 May 1963, being attacked by police dogs during a civil rights protest..jpg
grandparents_civil_rights_erae Civil Rights Movement to students’ family history by asking their grandparents to share their memories of the Movement..pdf
n 1963 the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. led a mass demonstration in Birmingham, Ala., to pressure the Kennedy administration to actively defend the civil rights of black citizens.jpg
Dr. Gilbert Mason is flanked by officers who escorted him to court in Biloxi, Mississippi after he expressed fear for his safety following the violent response to his peaceful “wade-in.jpg
The final wade-in to desegregate the beach in Biloxi, Mississippi, took place in 1963, led by Dr. Gilbert Mason. Sixty-five demonstrators, black and white, were arrested for trespassing private property..jpg
151221-martin-luther-king-jr-02.jpgMartin Luther King, Jr. speaks from a pulpit at a mass meeting about principles of non-violence, before leading an assem... VIEW MORE.jpg
151221-martin-luther-king-jr-01.jpgReverend Martin Luther King, Jr. stands in front of a bus at the end of the Montgomery bus boycott, Montgomery, Alabama,.jpg
Walking by Charles Henry Alston. Walking recalls the bus boycotts in the 1950s and anticipated the civil rights marches of the 1960s. The work not only depicts the spirit and conviction of the civil rights protests.jpg
In 1957, civil rights advocates had to dispel rumors that nine black children seeking to integrate Central High School in Little Rock, Ark., were being paid for their activism..jpg
Harry Floyd, owner of the segregated bowling alley in Orangeburg, S.C., over which civil rights demonstrations ended in the death of three students, points to the privately owned sign on the front door, Feb. 10, 1968.jpg
Cap had at least two black friends back in 1973..jpeg
This Little Light of Mine,” the signature sculpture in the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. It lights up as visitors pass through the main gallery of the museum in Jackson, Miss..webp
People of all ages were included among the participants in a Civil Rights march on State Street in Springfield, Aug. 1965..jpg
Veterans of the Civil Rights Movement -- Freedom Summer Orientation Briefing.html
Tin Pan Alley Sheet Music, 1897.jpeg
In this 1950s encyclopedia, Asians live in pagodas and wear pajamas, Blacks live in mud huts and wear chains, and White people live in mid-century modernist mansions and wear suits.jpeg
Four Races c. 1900.jpeg
Representative Sheila Jackson Lee speaks at a hearing about reparations before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties today.jpg
Leroy Moton was riding in a car with civil rights worker Viola Liuzzo when she was shot to death after the third Selma to Montgomery march, in 1965.jpg
The historic Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala., where African American and Democratic leaders gathered Sunday for a commemoration of the civil rights movement..jpg
Demonstrators outside the White House hold signs demanding the right to vote and protesting police brutality against civil rights demonstrators in Alabama in March 1965..jpg