Six on Art: Why Rembrandt's The Night Watch is still a mystery, Maira Kalman: The Pursuit of Happiness; What If Museums Cost

panaritisp

Feb 25, 2019, 4:14:16 PM2/25/19
to Six on History

If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Art: Why Rembrandt's The Night Watch is still a mystery, Maira Kalman: The Pursuit of Happiness; What If Museums Cost More For Rich People?; Yorimitsu and Shuten-Dôji: The drunken demon of Kyoto; Syria’s Monumental Loss; This visionary artist lives on an island

 Why Rembrandt's The Night Watch is still a mystery

"It was Titus and Hendrickje, the woman he’d initially employed as his maid, who had kept the artist financially afloat after he’d been forced to sell, in 1656, his grand house in Amsterdam’s Jewish quarter (now the Rembrandt House Museum). His fine art collection and his exotic antiques – the latter often appearing as props in his paintings – also went to auction. Titus and Hendrickje stepped in to act jointly as his art dealers when Rembrandt was unable to trade under his own name due to prohibitive bankruptcy laws.

So why had the greatest artist of his age, whose death is this year being marked on its 350th anniversary with exhibitions around the world, fallen into poverty?

Conspiracies and clues

A myth has grown around Rembrandt’s apparent fall from favour that was, for many years, connected to The Night Watch. The painting has even inspired conspiracy theories courtesy of film director Peter Greenaway. His 2007 picture Night Watching, and follow-up documentary Rembrandt’s J’Accuse, argue that the painting’s complex iconography reveals a murder plot that leads to members of the civic militia, who it portrays threatening Rembrandt’s life and leading to his ruin."

 Maira Kalman: The Pursuit of Happiness -- 3/6 after school History Talk, 4pm in Flushing, Free book!, see attached flyer

"Why did you choose the topic of American Democracy for your “Pursuit of Happiness” project?

I got tired of writing about myself. I felt that I had done enough about my life, and I wanted to do something that took me out of my own sphere and into something I knew nothing about, which was American history and politics. Because Obama had been elected president and it was a whole new era, there was an interest in how our country could be and the freshness of the inspiration."

 Syria’s Monumental Loss

"But even as the revolution was revealing what Saleh calls the “stifled richness of Syria,” the country’s past was being erased. Shortly after ISIS arrived in Palmyra, the regime launched air strikes on the city, heedless of its ancient monuments. Soon after, ISIS took its own bludgeon to the ruins, destroying the Temple of Bel, the Temple of Baalshamin, and the Monumental Arch."

Maira Kalman 3-6.docx
‘Lenin Proclaims Soviet Rule to Second All Russia Congress of Soviets, 25 October 1917’, Vladimir Alexandrovich Serov (1910-68).jpg
animal-comics-lingvistov-67-5880bf4a1ae21__605.jpg
.Banksy in Bristol, England.jpg
And the award goes to....jpg
“AI fembot” Pandora is an example of how Greek mythology foresaw today’s innovations, a book says.jpg
“Archimedes Thoughtful” by Domenico Fetti, 1620.jpg
“Arnold Comes of Age (Portrait of Arnold Pyle),” from 1930, is part of the retrospective “Grant Wood -American Gothic and Other Fables,” at the Whitney Museum of American Art.jpg
A woman with tattooed arms poses in Bosnia..jpg
Georgia O’Keeffe, Grey Lines with Black, Blue and Yellow, 1923 (Georgia O’Keeffe Museum).jpg
Georgia O’Keeffe, Red Canna, 1924 (Georgia O’Keeffe Museum).jpg
'David'_by_Michelangelo_JBU31.jpg
giant-starling-mural-street-art-collin-van-der-sluijs-super-a-berlin-5.jpg
dry-stone-garden-spheres-by-devin-devine-4.jpg
Edward Hopper The Sheridan Theater 1937 40.118.jpg
Edward Hopper, aged 10..jpg
jacob-lawrence-harlem-street.jpgJacob Lawrence. Harlem Street Scene, 1942.jpg
Jade and gold burial suit of Dou Wan, wife of Prince Jing, Hebei Province, western Han dynasty, 206 BC–AD 9.jpg
Michael Pacher, The Devil Presenting St. Augustine with the Book of Vices, circa 1480......jpg
modernism-demuthCharles Demuth, I Saw the Figure 5 in Gold, 1928.jpg
modernism-hopperEdward Hopper, Manhattan Bridge Loop, 1928.jpg
modernism-margoliesSamuel Margolies Man’s Canyon, 1936.jpg
‘Feminism and capitalism are at odds, if under the one women are people and under the other they are property.’.jpg
modernism-sheelerCharles Sheeler, Bucks County Barn, 1940.jpg
modernism-steichenEdward Steichen, Le Tournesol (The Sunflower), circa 1920.jpg
modernism-strandPaul Strand, The White Fence, Port Kent, New York, 1916.jpg
modernism-williamsburgEdward Hopper, From Williamsburg Bridge, 1928.jpg
‘Flower Bed’ (1913), Paul Klee.jpg
‘Forest Witches’ (1938).jpg
‘Gandhi was a hero and a villain in my opinion,’ writes James H Smith.jpg
‘Guernica is not a conventional history painting ... but a cubist apocalypse painted by the most revolutionary of modern artists’.jpg
‘Interior of a Café with Toulouse-Lautrec and Oscar Wilde’ undated watercolor by Ricard Opisso.jpg
‘Jewish Wedding,’ 1890s; from a display at the POLIN Museum of the History of Polish Jews, Warsaw.jpg