Six on Schools: Writing essays by formula teaches students how to not think; With teen mental health deteriorating over five

philip panaritis

Mar 13, 2018, 12:03:29 AM3/13/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Schools: Writing essays by formula teaches students how to not think; With teen mental health deteriorating over five years, there's a likely culprit; KIPP: Do-Rags Are "direct component of school-to-prison pipeline"; The Psychology of Inequality; Why big bets on educational reform haven't fixed the US school system; DeVos stumbles during pointed ‘60 Minutes’ interview;

Writing essays by formula teaches students how to not think

Writing essays by a formula was meant to be a step on the way. Now it’s the stifling goal for student and scholar alike

KIPP: Do-Rags Are "direct component of school-to-prison pipeline"

If KIPP were really interested in addressing the "school-to-prison pipeline," the deans of culture at KIPP  would be concerned with the hemorrhaging of KIPP students who leave KIPP feeling that they are failures for being unwilling to give up their lives to make KIPP test results look better.  KIPP teaches students that those who leave are failures who are unwilling to do what is necessary to succeed.  The intense sense of shame that results does feed, we may presume, that school the prison pipeline that Dean Shauna-Kay seems to think can be diverted by ditching the do-rag.

KIPP Lynn kids aren't buying it, and that is the most positive sign I've seen of KIPP's failure so far.

The Psychology of Inequality

Why big bets on educational reform haven't fixed the US school system
"The chief reason that all this activity has produced so little change, in our view, is that the movement’s populist politics [are you kidding? yeah 20 years of unsuccessful school deform has been driven by populists like Waltons, The College Board, Pearson, Gates, DeVos and the Koch Brothers. If the goal is truly to improve schools, and not scavenge the corpse of public education, maybe it would make sense to let K-12 educators themselves have a go!  How could it be worse than having a man who never taught a day in his life devise the Common Core Standards?]  encourage reformers to make promises beyond what they can reasonably expect to deliver. The result, then, is a cycle of searing critique, sweeping proposal, disappointment and new proposal."

With teen mental health deteriorating over five years, there's a likely culprit

"Around 2012, something started going wrong in the lives of teens.

In just the five years between 2010 and 2015, the number of U.S. teens who felt useless and joyless – classic symptoms of depression – surged 33 percent in large national surveys. Teen suicide attempts increased 23 percent. Even more troubling, the number of 13- to 18-year-olds who committed suicide jumped 31 percent.

In a new paper published in Clinical Psychological Science, my colleagues and I found that the increases in depression, suicide attempts and suicide appeared among teens from every background – more privileged and less privileged, across all races and ethnicities and in every region of the country. All told, our analysis found that the generation of teens I call “iGen” – those born after 1995 – is much more likely to experience mental health issues than their millennial predecessors.

What happened so that so many more teens, in such a short period of time, would feel depressed, attempt suicide and commit suicide? After scouring several large surveys of teens for clues, I found that all of the possibilities traced back to a major change in teens’ lives: the sudden ascendance of the smartphone."

Rev. Milton A. Galamison, The Parents' Workshop, and resistance to School Integration in NYC, 1960-1963.pdf
The-best-storytellers-2f9lt7d.jpg
Very-smart-people-today-25g2qc9.jpg
Tom-Toro-Daily-Cartoon-for-Tues-Feb-71-1200.jpg
1024290_1_cartoon170123-01_standard.png
“Group portrait of Lincoln School nurses.” The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1912..jpg
In 1957, civil rights advocates had to dispel rumors that nine black children seeking to integrate Central High School in Little Rock, Ark., were being paid for their activism..jpg
Wilson High School student Peter Rodriguez waves his intact draft card at a school board meeting on March 12, 1968, to rebut authorities’ claims that the student walkouts were inspired by communism.jpg
Find the SCOTUS member in this NYC BOE (BK) school grad pic.jpg
collegeready.jpg
Developing-a-2f862ra.jpg
Data-and-data-sets-are-12q2mtg-242x300 (1).jpg
Little Oil Art from Taiwan Taipei is an illustrator, designer, and director. 2.gif
Little Oil Art from Taiwan Taipei is an illustrator, designer, and director..jpg
littlegoldenbookofwords1.jpgIllustration from The Little Golden Book of Words.jpg
Little-Nemo-in-Slumberland.png An image from Winsor McCay’s Little Nemo in Slumberland.png
The-best-part-of-writing-2msry1v.jpg