Six on Schools: Los Angeles Teachers Begin Huge Strike; Debate erupts over opt-outs' impact on school ratings; Harm that TFA

panaritisp

Jan 14, 2019, 9:22:53 PM1/14/19
to Six on History
PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

        Let me know what you like; what you want to see more/less of @ panar...@yahoo.com

Six on Schools: Los Angeles Teachers Begin Huge Strike; Debate erupts over opt-outs' impact on school ratings; Harm that TFA Recruits Do to Students with Disabilities; School Insists 1st Grader Cut His Locs; The Literary Canon Is Mostly White. Here's an Alternative Latin American Reading List; ‘What Is a University Without a History Major?’;

Los Angeles Teachers Begin Huge Strike
"The massive action, which comes after 20 months of failed negotiations between United Teachers Los Angeles and the school district, impacts nearly a half-million students at more than 900 schools.

Schools are open during the strike, but with a bare-bones staff that some parents say can’t adequately supervise their children. To replace more than 30,000 striking teachers and staff members, the district has hired about 400 nonunion substitute teachers and has dispersed 2,000 credentialed central office staff members to classrooms. School administrators and school police officers also will be working, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The union’s demand for reduced class sizes (some classes have more than 40 students) and more support staff are at the heart of the negotiations. The union also seeks a 6.5-percent raise, but union leaders say salary is only one piece of a puzzle. They also point to such shortfalls as elementary schools only having a school nurse one or two days a week, which the union says risks children’s safety."

Debate erupts over opt-outs' impact on school ratings

Subject: Serious Concerns Regarding Incorrectly Labeling Schools

January 14, 2019

Dear Honorable Board of Regents,

We are writing to ask for clarity on the impact of opt outs on a school's designation as a "Targeted Support and Improvement" (TSI) school and a "Comprehensive Support and Improvement" (CSI) school. Our inquiry is premised on reports of schools and districts being notified that they may be "TSI" or "CSI" based on their state test scores, even though only a small percentage of students took the tests, meaning of course that the results are not representative of the full district or school, and that in all likelihood, they are not a reliable measure.

We have combed NY's regulations and ESSA plan, and remain unclear as to how the Board of Regents will assess the performance of schools and districts that have a high number of opt outs. We understand that two scores/composites will created (via a truly Byzantine weighting system). But we ask that you explain -- in simple terms -- the impact of the two scores/composites. We ask that you explain:

whether a low-scoring school with a high percentage of opt outs will be labeled as "TSI" or "CSI," even though only a small percent of children take the tests,
whether you will label a low-scoring school as such when the percentage is so small as to be statistically unreliable
whether you will label a low-scoring school as such when the handful of test-taking students fall primarily into subgroups who may have historically performed lower than the school/district has a whole.

If the answers to any of the above is "yes", then we must object.

The decision to label a school as "TSI" or "CSI" means that the school/district must redirect its funding and energy to raising participation rates, instead of other, critically important tasks, like ensuring the physical safety and mental health of our students, or creating curriculum to support NY's new science and social studies standards, or helping provide services for special education in the face of insufficient federal funding of the IDEA.

Instead, districts must expend funds to travel to Albany and stay (apparently the state does not fund even travel expenses for this), and divert staff and time towards trying to convince parents to have their kids take tests that aren't yet where they need to be. On top of this, such labels impact a school's reputation and can impact the value of homeowners' property.

Back in in 2016, when Chancellor Tisch stepped down, we were heartened to hear new Chancellor Rosa explain that she wanted "to get to a place where we come to the table and examine the current test and move forward in a way that parents have a sense of full trust." (https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2016/03/chancellor-elect-rosa-speaks-in-favor-of-test-opt-out-032591).

Chancellor Rosa recognized that the tests were problematic, and that opting out was a valid and legal option. In fact, she said that if she were a parent of a young child, she would opt her child out of state tests. (Id.) Commissioner Elia confirmed that Chancellor Rosa's statements, that "parents have a right by law to opt their children out." (Id.) We held high hopes that testing would become something that was valid and meaningful, that didn't take days away from learning, and that didn't create a tension and stress so great that children literally get sick.

We recognize that changes have happened, but as we've been clear, they are not nearly enough. Concerns about length, about substance, and about validity, remain strong, as well as about alignment with NY's standards. In fact, our understanding is that the State shares these concerns about the tests by its recent decision to extend the moratorium on the tests' usage in teacher evaluations.

This leads us to the natural question: if the tests are problematic enough to not use for teacher evaluation, why are they okay for school evaluation? Also, as both Chancellor Rosa and Commissioner Elia acknowledge the legal right to opt out, why would you then penalize a school population for exercising this right, in the case where only a small, statistically unreliable number of students provide test data?

Again, we ask that you explain the impact of opt outs. And we ask that you refrain from placing schools and districts with high opt outs on the "TSI" or "CSI" list. Social media is already abuzz about this, claiming you are nothing more than a political arm, and not a body concerned with learning and child safety. We ask that you prove them wrong, and show that we are all in this together, and that you are working to gain the public's trust, just as Chancellor Rosa stated in 2016 -- and that you will not mislabel a district as needing help, when in fact it may be doing beautifully.

Sincerely,

NYS Allies for Public Education

nys.a...@gmail.com

The Literary Canon Is Mostly White. Here's an Alternative Latin American Reading List

"If you’re a high schooler or college student, there’s a list of books and famous works you know you’re going to have to read at some point in your career. A Shakespeare play or two, some Hemingway or Faulkner, To Kill a Mockingbird so you can talk about how white people were nice enough to end racism. And these books are all great, and important to understanding the culture – white/Western/American culture that is. And while there’s some overlap between that and Latinx culture, what if you want to read the foundational texts of Latinidad? Below is a list of nine books that you can read in addition to (or, we don’t want to tell you not to do you your homework, buuuut…) the canonical texts on your curriculum.

Deciding what books are “in” and which are “out” of a canon, particularly on the basis of historical popularity can be a messy, racist, sexist endeavor, especially that historically, a lot of power (including artistic power) was given to European men. We’ve tried to counteract that here, but know there’s still a lot missing. We’ve also tried to go a little farther than the authors already on your shortlists (if you’re wondering where Gabo, or Cisneros, or Neruda are).

And remember, the best part of making your own curriculum is debating and amending it, so have at it in the comments."

1

If you have to read: Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Try: I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sánchez

Holden Caulfield is the classic disaffected teen, known for slouching around New York decrying phonies and having a depressive crisis. Julia, the protagonist of Erika L. Sánchez’s coming-of-age novel, wanders the streets of Chicago confronting the confines of the expectations her parents have for her life, while also confronting the mysteries of her recently deceased sister’s life. I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter takes the same anger and sadness around the limitations of relationships and the world that Holden Caulfield experiences, and filters them through the experiences of a Mexican teen girl growing up in Americ

exploring_womens_rightsExploring Women’s RightsThe 1908 Textile Strike in a 1st-grade Class.pdf
chicago-teachers-union-strike_850_599.jpg
Change in Total State and Local spending on Schools v. Prisons, 1 (2).jpg
schools v. prisons .pdf
grandparents_civil_rights_erae Civil Rights Movement to students’ family history by asking their grandparents to share their memories of the Movement..pdf
singing_strike and IWW.pdf
E. 149the st and third ave. 1953 hearns Dept store employees on strike.jpg
Garbage at Essex and Hester Sts. (before school 26), garbagemen on strike, 1911.jpg
Homestead_Strike_-_18th_Regiment_arrives_cph.3b03430.jpg Capitalism responded to the system-changing ambitions of the 19th century labor movement with state and paramilitary violence..jpg
To Strike or Not to Strike worksheets.pdf
Lawrence Textile Strike, 1912..jpg
why_students_should_study_history.pdf
How to Use images in the Classroom.pdf sight.pdf