Six on Geography and Science: The Role of Luck in Life Success Is Far Greater Than We Realized; Black Mushrooms; The Simple A

philip panaritis

Mar 10, 2018, 2:30:56 AM3/10/18
to Six on History

Six on Geography and Science: The Role of Luck in Life Success Is Far Greater Than We Realized; Black Mushrooms; The Simple Algorithm That Ants Use to Build Bridges; Japan still prefers triangles even though the world uses octagons; Elon Musk is Not the Future; We X-Rayed Some MLB Baseballs. Here’s What We Found

"We tend to give out resources to those who have a past history of success, and tend to ignore those who have been unsuccessful, assuming that the most successful are also the most competent.

But is this assumption correct? I have spent my entire career studying the psychological characteristics that predict achievement and creativity. While I have found that a certain number of traits-- including passion, perseverance, imagination, intellectual curiosity, and openness to experience-- do significantly explain differences in success, I am often intrigued by just how much of the variance is often left unexplained.

In recent years, a number of studies and books--including those by risk analyst Nassim Taleb, investment strategist Michael Mauboussin, and economist Robert Frank-- have suggested that luck and opportunity may play a far greater role than we ever realized, across a number of fields, including financial trading, business, sports, art, music, literature, and science. Their argument is not that luck is everything; of course talent matters. Instead, the data suggests that we miss out on a really importance piece of the success picture if we only focus on personal characteristics in attempting to understand the determinants of success.

Consider some recent findings: ..."

It still prefers triangles even though the world uses octagons.

catch of the day.jpg
Burned woods of the Aggie Creek Fire and a portion of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline in Fairbanks, Alaska.jpg
Burning Discarded Automobile Batteries, 07-1972.jpg
BYZ91cBl8SV-png__700.jpg
Byzantine_Constantinople-en.png
Battle_of_Fort_Montgomery.USMA.edu.history.gif
A marble quarry in Finike. Turkey boasts 40% of the world’s marble reserves.jpg
An Orthodox priest conducts a service at the ice hole of a lake on the eve of Russian Orthodox Epiphany, near the village of Pilnitsa, on the outskirts of Minsk, Belarus.jpg
frankherfort_holiday_2007.jpg
frenchdining. Children participating in French class with a practical conversation at an experimental elementary school for gifted children at Hunter College.jpeg
french-school-mind-control.jpgAt School in the Year 2000, circa 1910.jpg
Cathedral of the Holy Cross is a Medieval Armenian Apostolic church on Lake Van's Akdamar Island in eastern Turkey.jpg
Cattle like these, on the outskirts of Rumbek, are central to the lives of the feuding Dinka and Nuer tribes in South Sudan..jpg
Caught at Seward, AK.jpg
causes_of_death.png
Cayuse_man_known_as_Whirlwind_in_front_of_tepee.jpg
CdCMw4iWwAAyE5d.jpg
Ceci n’est pas une pomme by Réne Magritte..jpeg
bunny.jpg