Six on President Bush I: What We All Forget (If We Ever Knew) About The Political Career of Bush 41; Bush’s Ignored Legacy: W

philip panaritis

Dec 3, 2018, 6:59:10 PM12/3/18
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on President Bush I: What We All Forget (If We Ever Knew) About The Political Career of Bush 41; Bush’s Ignored Legacy: War Crimes, Racism and Obstruction of Justice; If You Were Ronald Reagan's Vice President You Are a Bad Person; Bush Believed in the Essential Goodness of Americans; Bush thought the world belonged to his family. How wrong he was

If You Were Ronald Reagan's Vice President You Are a Bad Person

"So let’s just remember a small portion of the horror that the Reagan administration—in which Bush was the second-in-command and was loyal from beginning to end—unleashed on the world:

And that’s just off the top of my head."

George HW Bush's presidential campaign was nothing to be proud of

"This was not a case of Bush’s reputation being tarred by overzealous underlings like Atwater. The candidate personally excoriated Dukakis for vetoing state legislation that would have required teachers to preside over mandated patriotism. “What is it about the Pledge of Allegiance that upsets him so much?” Bush asked with a sneer at a Los Angeles rally. Then to drive home the theme that Dukakis was less than a red-blooded American, Bush campaigned at a New Jersey flag factory.

Until Trump, Bush presided over the most dispiriting low-road campaign that I had ever covered."

Ariel Dorfman: George HW Bush thought the world belonged to his family. How wrong he was

"On our way back to the hotel, Angélica and I could not contain our insane glee at depriving Bush of our room. For once, we chortled, we had bested one of the big fish who are used to seeing their every wish granted. Our antipathy towards this particular big fish ran deep: those deplorable years as Reagan’s vice-president, his racist campaign against Michael Dukakis, his invasion of Panama, his appointment of Clarence Thomas to the supreme court, his sabotage of global initiatives to reverse catastrophic climate change, the disastrous Nafta treaty, the vetoing of civil rights legislation, the presidential pardon of the neo-con Elliott Abrams, and, of course, Bush’s mawkish “thousand points of light”.

But our aversion had more personal roots: Bush had operated as head of the CIA from 30 January 1976 until 20 January 1977. As such, he was undoubtedly privy to exhaustive information about the devastation being inflicted by the US-supported Pinochet regime in Chile, at a time when opponents were being disappeared, concentration camps were still open and torture was rampant. During his tenure, the American government facilitated the infamous Operation Condor, run by the intelligence services of six Latin American dictatorships to coordinate their repression of dissidents. Perhaps most inexcusable was that Bush remained unrepentant of his country’s involvement in so much suffering. Had he not stated – when an American missile had blown up an Iranian aircraft with 290 innocent civilians aboard in 1988 – that he would “never apologize for the United States of America. Ever. I don’t care what the facts are.”

Bush - this emotional George H.W. Bush cartoon went viral — touching even his family.jpg
Document-01-NSC-Memorandum-from-Oliver-North-to-p2.gif
Document-01-NSC-Memorandum-from-Oliver-North-to-p4.gif
Genocidal Guatemalan dictator Efraín Ríos Montt with supporter Ronald Reagan, who called him “a man of great personal integrity and commitment.”.jpg
The USS Ronald Reagan sails alongside Japan's Hyuga-class helicopter destroyer Ise.jpg
reagan_85_(2)inauguration-page-001.jpg
reagan_inauguration-page-001.jpg
Reagan So Bronx.pdf
ronald-reagan-landslide-1498254456-677x1024.jpg
CIA_65A CIA ’Student Opportunities Overview’ shows the agency’s idea of a diverse student enjoying a career in destabilizing overseas governments.jpg
Flowers are laid at the base of the statue at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum in College Station, Texas..jpg
fighter jet landing on the aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush in the Mediterranean Sea on Thursday..jpg
bush_05_inauguration-page-001.jpg
The National Security ArchiveNSC, Memorandum from Oliver North to Robert McFarlane, Fallback Plan for the Nicaraguan Resistance, March 16, 1985 (original and altered versions).html
The Deputy Director of the CIA Advises on the Situation in Nicaragua · HERB_ Resources for Teachers.html
big-strong-president-reagan_361fcc53ca.pdf
1983, Anti-Sandinista Contra forces move down the San Juan River which separates Nicaragua from Costa Rica.jpg
Document-01-NSC-Memorandum-from-Oliver-North-to-p3.gif