panaritisp

Apr 9, 2021, 4:24:22 PM4/9/21
to Six on History

Welcome back to Six on History.

PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

Go to the Six on History Archive to search past posts/articles click "labels" on the left when there and the topics will collapse.

Thanks

   Phil Panaritis

Six on History: Schools

1) How Teachers Taught: A Look in the Rear-View Mirror - Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

"Amid a formidable array of new devices and software used by teachers across the nation in hundreds of thousands of classrooms, the two teaching traditions and their hybrids persist. Were policymakers, wannabe reformers, and anxious parents informed of this history of teaching–and the work of other historians of education who looked at classroom lessons–would their knowledge be useful in designing policies–in concert with classroom teachers–aimed at instruction? I believe so."

*About

I am Professor Emeritus of Education at Stanford University. I was a high school social studies teacher (14 years), district superintendent (7 years) and university professor (20 years). I have published op-ed pieces, scholarly articles and books on classroom teaching, history of school reform, how policy gets translated into practice, and teacher and student use of technologies in K-12 and college.

My most recent research projects have been a look at how I taught history 60 years ago in two high schools and how history is taught today in those same high schools–Teaching History Then and Now (2016).  Inside the Black Box of Classroom Practice appeared in 2013. Jane David and I finished a second edition of Cutting through the Hype in 2010.

A study of Silicon Valley exemplary teachers who integrated technology into their daily lessons–The Path of a Butterfly or a Bullet: Integrating Technology in Classrooms--was published in 2018.

2) City teachers union grills Yang and Adams during final endorsement screening, Politico New York

"The city’s teachers union put mayoral candidates Eric Adams and Andrew Yang in the hot seat during the final forum to determine its mayoral endorsement — and peppered them with questions about past statements on charter schools, teacher tenure and school reopenings.

The United Federation of Teachers is the last big union to give an endorsement in the race and Comptroller Scott Stringer, who has been polling behind Yang and Adams, is thought to be a favorite for the nod when the union decides next week. Former city attorney Maya Wiley may also be in the running as both candidates have laid out teacher-friendly platforms and have courted the union’s backing."

3) A Warning: Who Is Paying for Your State’s Civics Courses? | Diane Ravitch's blog

"If you have a few minutes to do some research, you might wonder about the connections among these three links:

First is from the extreme rightwing group called the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), funded by DeVos, Charles Koch, and major corporations. ALEC has 2,000 members who are state legislators. They get a free trip every year to a posh resort, where ALEC gives them model legislation to introduce in their state to promote the libertarian, anti-regulation, anti-government agenda.

Second is an article in the conservative journal Education Next about “reimagining civic education for the digital age.” It promotes the organization iCivics, a digital platform to teach civics.

Third, read about the award by the Trump Administration’s National Endowment for the Humanities and Betsy DeVos’s U.S. Department of Education of $650,000 to the curriculum and advocacy group iCivics and several university partners, to design a “roadmap” to guide teachers, publishers, and state officials on how to create integrated history and civics content."

A Warning: Who Is Paying for Your State’s Civics Courses?

If you have a few minutes to do some research, you might wonder about the connections among these three links: F...

4) Republican state lawmakers want to punish schools that teach the 1619 Project, USA Today

"Republican lawmakers in ArkansasIowaMississippiMissouri and South Dakota filed bills last month that, if enacted, would cut funding to K-12 schools and colleges that provide lessons derived from the award-winning project. The South Dakota bill has since been withdrawn.

Some historians say the bills are part of a larger effort by Republicans, including former President Donald Trump, to glorify a more white and patriarchal view of American history that downplays the ugly legacy of slavery and the contributions of Black people, Native Americans, women and others to the nation’s founding."

5) About Becoming a Teacher, by Bill Ayers, TC Record

“ 'When I do not know myself, I cannot know who my students are…and when I cannot see them clearly, I cannot teach them well” . In a more direct fashion, Ayers asks his reader point blank, “Are you willing to explore and discover who you are, deeply and comprehensively, and who you might become as a teacher?” (p. 8) and then to consider how they plan to translate that knowledge into what they do in classrooms by creating and reflecting on a list titled “Some Things I’m Pretty Sure I’ll Want All of My Students to Do, to Be, or to Have” (p. 12). In doing so, Ayers reminds the reader that this is a dance between the teacher and the students…and colleagues and parents and community and classroom milieu, all inherently with value and volition. By encouraging readers to articulate their “teaching commitments” (Chapter 10) and “teaching signature” (Chapter 9)—essentially what defines them as the teacher they are (aka, curiosity, storytelling, etc.)—he provides concrete exercises for considering the abstract concept of one’s “values.” These exercises also serve the purpose of honoring each teacher as unique. Ayers provides evidence that teachers can meet standards while still approaching the curriculum with their unique talents and interests. Ayers’ argument is akin to Korthagen’s  argument about the importance of moving beyond what can easily be discerned externally, like teacher behavior and competencies, and addressing the internal “identity” and “mission” of the teacher."

6)Our new report finds DOE overspent by millions on charter school rent; and          denied co-located public schools millions in matching funds, Class Size Matters

"According to our analysis, in FY 2019, the DOE overspent by $21 million on lease subsidies for 39 charter schools by paying them more than their base rents.  We also found that DOE has been leasing eight buildings directly for charter schools, rather than asking them to rent the buildings themselves, and thus has made itself ineligible to receive an estimated $8 million in state reimbursement in FY 2020 alone.

The DOE payments for charter school lease subsidies also increased sharply by 41% from FY 2019 to FY 2020.  In many cases, this was triggered by ballooning charter school rent that needs further explanation. For example, the rent skyrocketed at all three sites that housed Hebrew Language Academy Charter Schools: at the school in Manhattan, the rent increased from approximately $148,000 to $2.9 million in one year; while more than doubling at one site in in Brooklyn from  $931,000 to $2.5 million and increasing by more than 13 times at another Brooklyn site from just over $80,000 to $1.06 million.

DOE has also been paying rental subsidies for eight charter schools whose Charter Management Organization or affiliated organization owns their own space, at a cost of $11.6 million in FY 2020.  In some of these cases, the rents of these charter schools also grew dramatically, raising questions about whether these rents were fairly assessed or were hiked for the purpose of self-dealing.

In one  especially startling example, we found that the rent for the two Success Academy charter schools housed at Hudson Yards increased from approximately $793,000 to over $3.4 million – more than quadrupling – despite the fact that the space is owned by the Success Charter Management Organization. (The picture of that facility is above, from the cover of the report.) This increase in rent allowed Success to charge the DOE over $3 million in rental subsidies for those two schools alone in FY 2020. ... "

testing_and_tracking origins of HS.pdf
schools v. prisons .pdf
78496742.pdf school examiners report colored schools nyc.pdf
history_textbooks_theirs_ours US vs Philippines.pdf
1857A.SCH appeal for better schools - Copy.pdf
They Schools - Culturally Relevant Pedagogy Under Siege.pdf
75800312.pdf Normal schools NYC.pdf
Teacher Loyalty Oaths, 1951 (1).pdf