Black History is Every Month: An enslaved man was crucial to the Lewis and Clark expedition’s success. Clark refused to free him afterward; Virginia governor asks legislature to remove traitor's statue from U.S. Capitol; “If You’re in the Song, Keep

panaritisp

Jan 13, 2020, 1:07:00 AM1/13/20
to Six on History
If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post
How to Search past posts/articles by topic or issue: Click here    h/t to John Elfrank-Dana
Thanks John and Gary

Black History is Every Month: An enslaved man was crucial to the Lewis and Clark expedition’s success. Clark refused to free him afterward; Virginia governor asks legislature to remove traitor's statue from U.S. Capitol; “If You’re in the Song, Keep on Playing”: An Interview With Pharoah Sanders; The City of Sanford’s Racist Past; March 1941. "Bedroom. House in Negro slum district. Norfolk, Virginia."; The Great Migration: Goin' to Chicago

An enslaved man was crucial to the Lewis and Clark expedition’s success. Clark refused to free him afterward

"Frustrated, York asked if he could at least move to Louisville to join his enslaved wife, who belonged to another man. He offered to hire himself out and send the money he earned to Clark. It was a far cry from freedom — but at least York would live with his love.

Again, Clark refused.

“[I will] permit him to Stay a fiew weeks with his wife ... [but] he is Serviceable to me at this place, and I am determined not ... to gratify him, and have directed him to return,” Clark (whose spelling was abysmal) wrote in an 1808 letter to his brother. “If any attempt is made by York to run off, or refuse to proform his duty as a Slave, I wish him Sent to New Orleands and sold, or hired out to Some Sevare Master until he thinks better of Such Conduct.”

York did not “run off,” Clark’s will prevailed and the unhappy man returned to his master’s home in St. Louis, Mo., in May 1809. Doubtless pining for his wife, York was “of very little Service to me, insolent and sukly,” Clark wrote to his brother. But Clark had a solution: “I gave him a Severe trouncing the other Day and he has much mended.”

king_revolution_of_values.pdf
The End of Black Harlem - The New York Times.html Left, the Lenox Lounge in Harlem after its renovation in 2000; right the Lenox Lounge in May..html
Zinn, burned_out_tulsa_riot.pdf
its-our-country-too-walter-white[1].pdf
Chicago Defender.jpg
Marchers Chicago Freedom Movement..jpg
Mob attacks Chicago Freedom March vehicle..jpg
42. Martin Luther King Jr., center foreground, walks in vanguard of a crowd estimated at more than 10,000 persons who gathered in downtown Chicago, on July 26, 1965, to protest segregation in the city's schools.jpg
Great-Migration America 1927 Chicago The Great Migration.jpg
mob during a Chicago Freedom Movement march 1966.bmp
mob and police during Chicago Freedom Movement march.bmp
Yet-we-accept-the-idea-1aowzas.jpg
chicago Defender 1944.png
CivilRights, Samuel Milai, Pittsburgh Courier, 1969.jpg
CivilRights_61.jpg
CivilRights_62.jpg
King_4.jpg
mlk.jpg
mlk-billboard1.jpg
“A Talk To Teachers”, 1963.jpg
James Baldwin, hatred, 1960s.doc
james Baldwin, DWCHS.docx
Baldwin 2.doc
Heston_Baldwin_Brando_Civil_Rights_March_1963.jpg
Baldwin. The Negro Past.doc
Famous Harlem Renaissance Figures Facts_ US History for Kids ___.html