Six on Geography and Science: Researchers replicate just 13 of 21 social science experiments published in top journals; The

panaritisp

Apr 1, 2019, 2:33:22 PM4/1/19
to Six on History
 If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Geography and Science: Researchers replicate just 13 of 21 social science experiments published in top journals; The Day the Dinosaurs Died; The Salton Sea is a disaster in the making; The Cooper’s Hawk; our own claims of truthfulness are situated in a belief system that is about values, too, not just about facts; Sum-of-Three-Cubes Problem Solved for ‘Stubborn’ Number 33

The Salton Sea is a disaster in the making. California isn’t doing anything to stop it

"California’s largest internal body of water is steadily drying up, exposing a lake bed that threatens to trigger toxic dust storms and exacerbate already high levels of asthma and other respiratory diseases in Southern California.

Yet there is something about the Salton Sea that leads many lawmakers to ignore the urgency and put off remediation programs. It’s just so far south — off the mental map of officials who represent more densely populated urban areas to the north, like Los Angeles. It is hydrologically unconnected to the Bay Area and the Sacramento-San Joaquin River Delta, which supplies water for so much of the state’s agricultural and residential use. It is a disaster in the making, yet it is an afterthought."

Researchers replicate just 13 of 21 social science experiments published in top journals

"The "reproducibility crisis" in science is erupting again. A research project attempted to replicate 21 social science experiments published between 2010 and 2015 in the prestigious journals Science and Nature. Only 13 replication attempts succeeded. The other eight were duds, with no observed effects consistent with the original findings.

The failures do not necessarily mean the original results were erroneous, as the authors of this latest replication effort note. There could have been gremlins of some type in the second try. But the authors also noted that even in the replications that succeeded, the observed effect was on average only about 75 percent as large as the first time around.

The researchers conclude that there is a systematic bias in published findings, “partly due to false positives and partly due to the overestimated effect sizes of true positives.”
The two-year replication project, published Monday in the journal Nature Human Behaviour, is likely to roil research institutions and scientific journals that in recent years have grappled with reproducibility issues. The ability to replicate a finding is fundamental to experimental science. This latest project provides a reminder that the publication of a finding in a peer-reviewed journal does not make it true."

The Cooper’s Hawk

"We ought to recognize that our own claims of truthfulness are situated in a belief system that is about values, too, not just about facts."

Facts have a history, and we ought to admit it. In op-eds, public lectures, and social media, historians take great pains to correct falsehoods about the past and the present (especially in my field, immigration history). But the basis of much of our profession’s outrage—that policy should be based on a certain kind of fact—itself has a history.

The Dillingham Commission had nine appointed members: three senators, three congressmen, and three “experts” chosen by President Theodore Roosevelt. Jeremiah Jenks, a professor of economics at Cornell University, organized much of the work and has been called by historians of social science the first “government expert.” The commission and its staff visited or gathered data on all 46 states and several territories. A staff of more than 300 men and women compiled 41 volumes of reports, including a potent set of recommendations that shaped immigration policy for generations to come. The commission’s agents had advanced degrees from the Ivy Leagues and large public research institutions like Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio State, and Berkeley. Economics degrees dominated, though others had degrees in sociology, law, medicine, political science, and anthropology (including Franz Boas, who wrote an important treatise on new immigrants’ bodies and head shapes for the commission). Twenty reports on immigrants in American industries formed the bulk of the work, but other volumes considered everything from conditions on transatlantic steamships to prostitution, debt peonage, crime, schools, agriculture, philanthropic societies, other countries’ immigration laws, and immigrant women’s “fecundity.” ...

Yet the Dillingham Commission’s utter wrongness—that Asians and eastern and southern Europeans would not assimilate, that they were a “problem” in the first place—ought to give us all pause, too. We ought to recognize that our own claims of truthfulness are situated in a belief system that is about values, too, not just about facts. It is telling—and salutary—that the AHA’s 2013 tuning of the history discipline lists empathy as one of the essential components of historical practice. To practice empathy is to be sympathetic and mindful of the complexity of our subjects and, I would argue, the limits of our own and others’ expertise. The burgeoning authority of social science and certitude in its modern facts encouraged statist solutions to social problems. In turn, it bolstered support for the very governmental overreaches in immigration policy at which President Trump lunges.

Historians should, of course, continue to call out the falsehoods and vitriol that are today presented as public discourse. But we should also recognize that our professional status has a history, rooted in the Progressive Era’s invention of credentialed experts, whose own hubris became baked into the rise of the administrative state. If the administrative state is part of the immigration “problem,” and it was in some sense created by our social science forebears, then we need to recognize that we are living out a paradox that no call for reason based on facts can unravel."

The Day the Dinosaurs Died

"A young paleontologist may have discovered a record of the most significant event in the history of life on Earth."

Sum-of-Three-Cubes Problem Solved for ‘Stubborn’ Number 33

A number theorist with programming prowess has found a solution to 33 = x³ + y³ + z³, a much-studied equation that went unsolved for 64 years.

69ee607d-f320-491e-97d3-4f91eaaa057c.jpg
HD_40307g_39x27_screen_small.0.jpg
DEP-map-NYC-water-supply.jpg
depth-of-the-ocean-to-scale-full.jpg
flood.jpg
everyday-life-comics-guada-scribbles-74-5b114c2166807__700.jpg
Elephants drink the remaining water in a drying waterhole as Samburu cattle herder tribesmen destroy the fence and enter with cattle in Mugie Conservancy, Kenya,.jpg
Elephants, zebras, and rhinos would all look pretty different if they were interpreted the same way dinosaurs are.jpg
Fabled and False, the Mountains of Kong.jpg
Feedback fallacy.jpg
I-imagine-one-of-the.jpg
cheat.jpg
Orange Anemonefish, (Amphiprion Sandaracinos) or most commonly referred to as “Nemo” to most was shot amongst this vibrant, iridescent and highly toxic anemone..jpg
Orange-Alert-Dracula.png
Illustration by Marianne Dubuc from The Lion and the Bird.jpg
Illustration by Maurice Sendak for a special edition of E.T.A. Hoffmann’s Nutcracker.jpg
Illustration by Maurice Sendak from Open House for Butterflies by Ruth Krauss.jpg
Detail of mural by José Clemente Orozco at Baker Library, Dartmouth College.jpg
Detail of the panorama photograph of a ruined San Francisco, viewed from the Lawrence Captive Airship on May 29, 1906.jpg
formation-united-states-animation.gif
140319-alaska-earthquake-cover.jpg