panaritisp

Aug 1, 2021, 11:26:02 PM8/1/21
to Six on History

Welcome back to Six on History (Summer Edition - coupla posts a week).

PS: If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

And please don't forget to check out the pertinent images attached to every post

Go to the Six on History Archive to search past posts/articles click "labels" on the left when there and the topics will collapse.

Thanks
IMG_4706 (2).JPG

Phil Panaritis

Six on History: New York

1) Going Dutch in Hillsdale | The Historians of Hillsdale, New York

[Re: The Historians of Hillsdale, New York. It's because of people like these that the polite moniker "avocational" historians is gradually squishing the unfortunate characterization "amateur" into the dustbin of history.

Notice their rigorous scientific methodology, grasp of context, smooth incorporation of largely unfamiliar (to most readers) fields like architecture, engineering and interior design, and relentless connections to today and other periods in town and regional history -- all in crisp professional prose with a pleasant lay-out and terrific illustrations.  It would be interesting and fun for students to use work like this for a homework and lesson about "hidden history" on their block, in their borough or hometown -- and of course it readily connects to multiple Social Studies themes and content in Geography, Economics and both American and U.S. History

And why do they do it all you ask?  No wages or salary.  Never gonna be quoted in the NY Times or Schenectady Gazette.  Never going to be cited in academic journals or earn a tenure track position in History at Columbia County CC.   Uhh! so proud to be in the same field as all the generous, smart and conscientious local historians like these at work in every corner of our city, state and country.]

Going Dutch in Hillsdale

"In 2017 the Hillsdale Historians wrote about Hudson River School artist John Bunyan Bristol (1826-1909) and we included an image of his Hillsdale birthplace. The 1900 postcard shows a rundown farmhouse on Old Town Road, boarded up and covered with vines. It is a sad image of disuse and disrepair and made us wonder, why put a dwelling in such bad shape on a postcard?

The Bristol House on Old Town Road as it appeared in 1900.

It’s 2021 and today we’re writing about that same house, but for an entirely different reason. In the process of renovating the building the owners made a startling discovery: the house turns out to be a Dutch structure dating to 1760.  To the best of our knowledge, it is the oldest house in Hillsdale.

Historic Preservationist Michael Rebic of Austerlitz was certain of it the moment he crossed the threshold. “The owner asked me to take a look at a deteriorating building on the property. We assumed it was a 19th century tenant building. It was in really bad shape — there was even a tree growing through the front porch! We walked carefully across the rotting porch floorboards, opened the door, and I immediately said, ‘This is a Dutch house.’ Structurally, it had the bones of a Dutch house. You can’t change the bones. Where I live, in Austerlitz, most of the settlers were English, but it was clear to me the house was not built by an English carpenter. As a historic preservationist, I knew right away it was one of the rare Dutch houses in eastern Columbia County.”

Dutch colonists started buying land as early as 1649 along the eastern bank of the Hudson River, where the soil was fertile and river access provided an avenue for commerce with New York City, but they found the hilly terrain and rocky soil of Columbia County’s eastern edge much less attractive.

We can’t be sure that the little house was built by a Dutch craftsman, but we can be sure that it follows Dutch building styles. Hillsdale was a transitional area in the mid-18th century, a jumble of national origins and cultures. English Yankees from Connecticut and Massachusetts, priced out of farmland in those colonies, crossed the Berkshire Mountains to settle in the untamed hill towns straddling the MA/NY border and brought with them English building styles.

In 1710, German refugees from the economically and politically unstable Palatine area arrived in southern Columbia County indentured to work at Livingston Manor “camps” manufacturing naval stores (e.g., pitch, resin, and turpentine) for the British Navy. The project failed almost immediately, and the camps were broken up. The Palatines spread throughout the Hudson and Mohawk River Valleys. Some of them became tenant farmers, leasing land from the Van Rensselaers and Livingstons and building homes in the Dutch manner, although on a more modest scale.

The house’s deed history can be traced back only as far as 1822, when Andrew A. and Elizabeth Sharts sold their farm to David Wheeler, a miller, of Amenia. The Sharts descended from Palatine families arriving in East Camp (today’s Germantown) in 1710. They were part of an enclave of Palatine families, many of them with the Sharts surname, that settled in Hillsdale by the mid-1700s.  (Source: Neil Larson, Hudson Mohawk Vernacular Architecture) Whippoorwill Road was previously named  Sharts Street, and it appears as such on maps as recent as 1958.

Rebic’s ability to identify the house as Dutch was helped by the house’s interior renovation, which had stripped all 20th century alterations down to its wall framing. “If you look at the structural beams, they are about four feet apart,” he said. “In an English house, all the structural columns would have been on the corners. In the Netherlands, because the ground was so boggy, they had to distribute the weight of the house evenly or the house could sink. And even though this area doesn’t have the same boggy ground, those building techniques persisted in the New World with the Dutch builders.”

There are undoubtedly other Dutch/Palatine houses in Hillsdale, covered up with the accretion of 19th and 20th century alterations.  If your ancestors arrived in Columbia County with the Palatines and you live in an old house, you may be residing in a slice of 18th century history. You can search this site for Palatine names.  ... "

Sources:

Dutch Vernacular Architecture in North America 1640-1830 (The Society for the Preservation of Hudson Valley Vernacular Architecture, 2005)

Dutch Colonial Homes in America  (Rizzoli, 2002)

http://www.hmvarch.org

Did you like this blog post?  Hit the “subscribe” button at the top of the page and get an email alert whenever we put up a new post.

© 2021 Chris Atkins and Lauren Letellier

2) Babe Ruth was knocked unconscious after he ran into a concrete wall at        Griffith Stadium, Washington, D.C.SHORPY

"Babe Ruth knocked out, 7/5/24. Nationals salvage split of doubleheader as Ruth crashes into wall (Yankees 2, Nats 0; Nats 7, Yankees 2). Babe Ruth was knocked unconscious after he ran into a concrete wall at Griffith Stadium, Washington, D.C."

3) Aetna Apologizes for Slave Insurance, AP MARCH 11, 2000

“Aetna has long acknowledged that for several years shortly after its founding in 1853 that the company may have insured the lives of slaves,” Aetna spokesman Fred Laberge said Thursday. “We express our deep regret over any participation at all in this deplorable practice.”

Aetna’s public apology was prompted by an inquiry from Deadria Farmer-Paellmann, who contacted the Hartford, Conn.-based company this year to seek an apology and reparations. Farmer-Paellmann, whom Aetna described as a New York attorney, could not be reached for comment.

Aetna, which noted that the slave policies were legal before slavery was abolished, said it plans to make no reparations. ... "

4) How New York’s Suburbs Got to be So Segregated – Alan Singer on New York       Almanack

https://www.newyorkalmanack.com/2021/07/how-new-yorks-suburbs-got-so-segregated/

"Housing discrimination is a major reason for the black-white wealth gap in the United States. For most American families, their major asset is their home. Levittown, New York houses that sold for less than $7,000 in 1950 are now worth between $500,000 and $600,000 and some over $700,000; that’s a 1,000% increase in inheritable family wealth for the families of the original white home-buyers." www.newyorkalmanack.com

Alan Singer, Director, Secondary Education Social Studies
Teaching Learning Technology
290 Hagedorn Hall / 119 Hofstra University / Hempstead, NY 11549
(P) 516-463-5853 (F) 516-463-6196
Blogs, tweets, essays, interviews, and e-blasts present my views and not those of Hofstra University.

5) August 1941. "Pine Camp military area, near Watertown, N.Y. [Ft. Drum],          SHORPY

"August 1941. "Pine Camp military area, near Watertown, N.Y. Removal of farm families and relocation in new sections with the aid of the New York Defense Relocation Corporation. Two of the children of Mr. Earl J. Brown helping to get the last few belongings out of their farm in the Pine Camp expansion area." Medium format acetate negative by Jack Delano."

6)Understanding the Bronx: A Reading List, Literary Hub

John J. Healey Recommends Books By E.L. Doctorow, Lilliam Rivera, and More

"New Yorkers have a different notion of the Bronx than most outsiders. They know it as being the only borough that is part of the American mainland, and that it is pastoral as well as urban. It got its name from the Swedish immigrant Jonas Bronck who settled a farm on Wappinger tribe land leased from the Dutch West India Company in 1639, shortly before he died.

The Bronx went from being a massive chunk of southern Westchester filled with estates and mansions to becoming a destination for waves of European immigrants in search of affordable housing and a fresh start. Those waves gathered and broke at the very beginning of the 20th century and then peaked dramatically after the First World War.

By 1901 my family, Irish on both sides, had settled in the Highbridge section of the Bronx. I spent the first 15 years of my life there. In the grim classrooms of the Irish Catholic schools I attended, you could count the number of Hispanic and African American students on one hand. I was immersed in a world of Irish and Jewish residents plus a smattering of Italian, German, Polish and Swedish families. Like Huck Finn, I lit out for the territories as soon as I could and never returned. I also learned Spanish and have spent most of the rest of my life living in another language, far from the monolingual lace curtains of my Highbridge roots.

The Bronx has a compelling and difficult history. In the South Bronx during the troubled and often violent 1960s and 70s, many descendants of those European immigrants, who by then constituted a solid middle class, abandoned ship and were replaced largely by Hispanic and African American residents who have defined much of the borough’s culture since then. Despite periods of turmoil and poverty—and despite Robert Moses and his gruesome Cross-Bronx Expressway, which decimated the urban fabric of the area—the Bronx is an adaptable survivor and has preserved its resilient character while enjoying a new glow and relative prosperity. Throughout my childhood my father was a congressman (Democrat) from the Bronx; now, we are lucky enough to have AOC.

Some years ago when I was living in Paris, a dream brought me back to Highbridge, a nightmare that haunted me for days. As I set out to trace the clues it left, it led to the discovery of a crime that took place in my grandparents’ time. A young Swedish girl was found murdered in the basement of a row house on Ogden Avenue. Through further research, including a lengthy trial document, I discovered that one of the witnesses testifying was a relative of mine; another was the father of a close family friend. The building where the girl was found and where she lived with her family was the same one where my father had lived with his brothers and my grandparents. My father and the girl were born months apart and surely knew each other. As a boy, I spent many nights sleeping there as well.

I had no recollection of anyone ever mentioning this tragedy, and yet the nightmare pointed to some childhood knowledge of it. An adult intuition made me suspect it had been hushed up. All of my family members who might have been able to shed some light had passed away. As I pored over the riveting transcript of the trial and studied other sources, it seemed clear to me that the wrong man had been prosecuted and executed. The municipal authorities had needed a fall guy.

I needed to tell this story as I saw and imagined it. This deep dive into the past became the inspiration for my novel April in Paris. Selections from the transcript are included verbatim, but names and dates have been altered and most of the story, including a contemporary romance, is pure fiction.

Growing up in the Bronx toughened me, educated me, and remains a part of me. A lasting effect from my recent literary return has been a re-awakening of my Bronx identity and an interest in other books related to that often-maligned part of the world. I read the first two books on this list years ago. The next two helped with my research, and the last three are new and rich reflections written by more recent Bronxites, whom I salute: ... "

A couple at an LGBT parade through New York City on Christopher Street Gay Liberation Day 1971. LBGTQ.jpg
NJUR_map.png
Gov. George Pataki leaves the voting booth after casting his ballot at the firehouse in Garrison, N.Y. in 2002..jpg
Anarchist, political activist and writer Emma Goldman WW I.jpeg
The Landmark Childs Building On Coney Island Boardwalk Is Now A Massive New Restaurant.jpg
Martin Luther King Jr. addresses New York City hospital workers on March 10, 1968. (District 1199-SEIU).jpg
Workers at a Democratic rally in 1945 econ.jpg
A Monday Washing. New York City, 1900..jpg
Franklin_D._Roosevelt_and_Fiorello_LaGuardia_in_Hyde_Park_-_NARA_-_196764.tif.jpg
Little-Paris-Nolita-Paris-Street-Sign-Lafayette-Street-Centre-Street-NYC.jpg
A participant holding a Defund The Police sign at a protest on June 2, 2020, in Brooklyn, N.Y.jpg
David Dinkins poses for photos in front of voting booth in 1989.jpg
James A. Farley, former Democratic National Chairman, prepares to cast his ballot at School of Industrial Arts, in Manhattan.jpg
Project developer Equinor plans to construct up to 174 wind turbines off the Long Island coast by 2027..jpg
The First Light From Darkness, Alex Harsley, Unsung Hero @ Pioneer Works in Red Hook.jpg
Bernard Baruch voting on Nov. 8, 1948..jpg
What a cool guy.jpg
Peacock, here in 1964, kept his Harlem liquor store impeccable. He would later close it, though, saying he “was becoming sensitive” about enabling alcoholics..jpg
The site of Shaft 17B-1 in Long Island City, Queens, April 8th, 2021 NY City.jpg
Fidel Castro enjoys a cone while visiting New York.jpg
BDS ACTIVISTS IN NEW YORK CITY.jpg
Congressman Herman Badillo voting in 1972.jpg
front-cover-63 That '70s Show crime.jpg
The sun rises over Manhattan on spring equinox from the Edge at Hudson Yards in the Manhattan borough of New York City, March 20, 2021..jpg
Rep. Bella Abzug emerges from voting booth at Food and Maritime Trades High School in Sep. 15, 1976..jpg