Six on Geography and Science: Inside a Rainbow; The Human Cost of Amber; "In Tall Grass" by Carl Sandburg; There used to be 4 billion American chestnut trees; The Opioid Crisis Is About More Than Corporate Greed; "The War on Drugs": Legalize It All

panaritisp

Aug 5, 2019, 10:23:10 PM8/5/19
to Six on History
 If you like what you find on the "Six on History" blog, please share w/your contacts.

       Here is the link to join: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/six-on-history

Six on Geography and Science: Inside a Rainbow; The Human Cost of Amber; "In Tall Grass" by Carl Sandburg; There used to be 4 billion American chestnut trees; The Opioid Crisis Is About More Than Corporate Greed; "The War on Drugs": Legalize It All

"After a passing shower, when the sun comes out again, I often see a rainbow in the east behind my house, arching over the trees on the hilltop. Ancient peoples were awed by these multi-colored arcs in the sky and came up with a variety of explanations. To the Norse, a rainbow was a bridge connecting Earth with the home of the gods that could only be used by warriors killed in battle. In Japan, rainbows were the paths used by the original ancestors of humans to descend to earth from the heavens. In Hindu mythology, Indra, the god of thunder and war, uses a rainbow as an archer’s bow to shoot arrows of lightning."

The Human Cost of Amber

Fossils preserved in sap offer an astonishingly clear view of the distant past, but they come at a high price.

The Human Cost of Amber

"In Tall Grass" by Carl Sandburg

View this email on a browserForward to a friend
facebook-icon                                   tumblr-icon   twitter-icon
August 3, 2019

In Tall Grass

Carl Sandburg

Bees and a honeycomb in the dried head of a horse in a pasture corner

          —a skull in the tall grass and a buzz and a buzz of the yellow

          honey-hunters.

And I ask no better a winding sheet
                             (over the earth and under the sun.)

Let the bees go honey-hunting with yellow blur of wings in the dome of

          my head, in the rumbling, singing arch of my skull.

Let there be wings and yellow dust and the drone of dreams of honey—

          who loses and remembers?—who keeps and forgets?

In a blue sheen of moon over the bones and under the hanging

          honeycomb the bees come home and the bees sleep.

Facebook Like Button  Tweet Button

This poem is in the public domain. Published in Poem-a-Day on August 3, 2019, by the Academy of American Poets.
"In Tall Grass" by Sandburg

About This Poem

“In Tall Grass” was published in Cornhuskers (Henry Holt, 1918).

Carl Sandburg

Carl Sandburg was born on January 6, 1878, in Galesburg, Illinois. He is the author of several poetry collections, including Slabs of the Sunburst West (Harcourt, Brace, 1922) and Chicago Poems (Henry Holt, 1916). He died on July 22, 1967.

Photo Credit: Elizabeth Buehrmann

more-at-poets
Selected Poems

Poetry by Sandburg

Selected Poems

(Mariner Books, 1996)

"Poppies on the Wheat" by Helen Hunt Jackson

read-more

"Pastoral" by Jennifer Chang

read-more

"A Horse Grazes in My Shadow" by Matt Rasmussen

read-more

"All told, from 2006 to 2012, roughly 76 billion oxycodone and hydrocodone pills crisscrossed America, according to a Washington Post analysis. While many of these pills went to legitimate patients, millions more were showered on troubled communities with a voracious thirst for pain relief. While drug manufacturers produced more and more opioids (approved by the DEA), and distributors shipped those pills to pharmacies all over the country (tracked by the DEA), drug companies saw record profits—and America’s overdose death rate soared off the charts.  “I think this [database] brings home what we all knew,” says Corey Davis, an attorney and public health expert at the Network for Public Health Law. “This wasn’t just incompetence on the part of the DEA and the Department of Justice, it was knowing and intentional failure to do what most people think is their jobs.”

The Opioid Crisis Is About More Than Corporate Greed

"The War on Drugs": Legalize It All

"At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. “You want to know what this was really all about?” he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

I must have looked shocked. Ehrlichman just shrugged. Then he looked at his watch, handed me a signed copy of his steamy spy novel, The Company, and led me to the door.

Nixon’s invention of the war on drugs as a political tool was cynical, but every president since — Democrat and Republican alike — has found it equally useful for one reason or another. Meanwhile, the growing cost of the drug war is now impossible to ignore: billions of dollars wasted, bloodshed in Latin America and on the streets of our own cities, and millions of lives destroyed by draconian punishment that doesn’t end at the prison gate; one of every eight black men has been disenfranchised because of a felony conviction.

As long ago as 1949, H. L. Mencken identified in Americans “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy,” an astute articulation of our weirdly Puritan need to criminalize people’s inclination to adjust how they feel. The desire for altered states of consciousness creates a market, and in suppressing that market we have created a class of genuine bad guys — pushers, gangbangers, smugglers, killers. Addiction is a hideous condition, but it’s rare. Most of what we hate and fear about drugs — the violence, the overdoses, the criminality — derives from prohibition, not drugs. And there will be no victory in this war either; even the Drug Enforcement Administration concedes that the drugs it fights are becoming cheaper and more easily available."

Archaeologists are uncovering footprints on beaches from Canada to South Africa. The oldest human footprints, one of which is shown here, were found in Tanzania and date back over 3 million years.jpg
Avoiding Collision.jpg
AvoidingProcrastination-web2.jpg
image (63).jpg
BY THE GUN José Santos at a checkpoint near the entrance to Tancítaro. Fed up with both the cartels and the government, the people of Tancítaro pushed out both.jpg
By the Numbers, A Look at Consolidation in U.S. Agriculture.png
By-1948-as-the-great.jpg
BYZ91cBl8SV-png__700.jpg
_96188472_africa_flying_journeys_624_v4.png
Crab Bridge On Christmas Island.jpg
crabapple-de-burgosPortrait of Julia de Burgos.jpg
Physics class Bronx Science 1944.jpg
Cracked wheat, anyone.jpg
grassgrow-poem-800.jpg
Grave marker, Aleutian Islands, 1943..jpg
Grease_and_Smoke-960x1447@2x.jpg
Great again Yeah, right . . .trump.jpeg
Great Blue Hole, off Beliz.jpeg
Great San Francisco Earthquake - Families take refuge in tents set up in green spaces and parks across the city.jpg
Great Wall No. 142. 1870s..jpg
great_banyanIndia's Great Banyan Tree.jpg
light-pollution-united-states-map.jpg
HPSBG Drake Park Science Field Trip Workshop.jpg
ligon-kelly.jpgEllsworth Kelly, Blue Black, 2000.jpg
HPSBG Science Field Trip Workshops 8-2013...jpg
'Light Refraction'.jpg
'Monument Valley'.jpg
1._heliocentric_sphereHeliocentric armillary sphere, early nineteenth century, Italy..jpg
_100378028_ikea_map_640_v2-nc.png
a-vision-for-the-future-from-the-1920-s-3-5be025.jpg