Community Art Repository?

Echelon

May 27, 2009, 1:59:51 PM5/27/09
to Sirikata Art List
Hey All!
My name is Alan Tupper, and I'm new to the art list.

Just wanted to throw a quick question up, has there been any thought/
action on making a shared community art repository? This way as
Sirikata moves through development, we'll have a nice big library of
assets to build and experiment with and eventually release at the
launch. This of course would be completely voluntary and artists
could choose a Creative Commons based license that they feel is
appropriate for their work.

Peace,
Alan Tupper (Echelon)
http://www.nexusomega.com

Henrik Bennetsen

May 27, 2009, 2:05:57 PM5/27/09
to sirikata...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alan,

I am part of the team at Stanford working on this and have a project that will produce a bunch of art assets. All of this will be CC licensed and put out there so we have been thinking along the same lines.

We are not too deep into the checking up on this but what would be excellent is a repository like you describe. Even greater would be functionality to let artist collaborate on pieces like for instance Github lets us work together on the code.

I know of no such services out there at this point. If someone did I´d like to know about it.

Henrik

--
Henrik Bennetsen
Associate Director

Wallenberg Hall, 450 Serra Mall
Building 160, Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-2055, USA

benn...@gmail.com
Cell: +1 415.418.4042
Fax: +1 650.725.0192

Chris Platz

May 29, 2009, 5:44:15 AM5/29/09
to sirikata...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alan,

Great questions. I'm heading up the content creation team here with
Sirikata. We are seriously considering long term solutions to this
problem, but just getting started. All content we provide will fall
under the most liberal cc license so folks can use our modular city
parts, interiors, plants, avatars, etc to quickly experiment and build
virtual worlds. I'm confident the community will contribute back and
help us rapidly enlarge this repository for a great many artistic
forms.

So far the biggest bottle neck is providing layered photoshop files of
significant resolution for each model, a tileable texture library, and
having each with tight version control. Tortoise SVN just about ruined
our first attempt, and the database grew to over 15 gigs in 12 months
with only 8-10 full time artists contributing.

As Henrik stated, a solution like Github for graphic art would be
ideal. If anyone has suggestions please join in?

Regards,
Chris