SIRI Publish/Subscribe pattern implementation with an Enterprise Service Bus (ESB)

Javier Saralegui

Feb 9, 2015, 10:54:47 AM2/9/15
to siri-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody

Our company is evaluating the use of SIRI for information exchange and looking in the documentation there are two patterns of client-server interaction:
- Publish/Subscribe
- Request/Reply

In the Publish/Subscribe it is indicated that the Publish-Subscribe Notification for Web Services (WS-PubSub) specification is used. My question is about the use of an Enterprise Service Bus and if this ESB can implement this pattern or additional development is needed for managing the concepts described in the documents.

Thanks a lot for your time

Javier Saralegui

Christophe Duquesne

Feb 11, 2015, 4:09:32 AM2/11/15
to siri-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Javier

I know that some SIRI users are using ESBs but you have to know that SIRI contains a lot of public transport business related (quite specific) features, so I don't think that additional development can be avoided.

Christophe

Javier Saralegui

Feb 11, 2015, 9:50:08 AM2/11/15
to siri-de...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cristophe

Thanks a lot for your response. Regarding the additional development with the Publish/Subscribe pattern i was thinking in concepts like keeping the numbers of subscribers, validity periods, etc In summary, if the roles of Subscription Manager or Notification Producer can be delegated to the ESB or you have to develop functionalities over the ESB.

Thanks a lot!

Christophe Duquesne

Feb 12, 2015, 3:18:51 AM2/12/15
to siri-de...@googlegroups.com
You have to keep in mind that SIRI subscription is not a kind of message subscription: for example with StopMonitoring, SIRI allows you to subscribe on a stop point, with a line filter, and a change before update setting (for example to: say don't notify me unless the passing time change is greater that 2 minutes from the previous notification).
So when you get a message from the AVMS you don't just look who is subscribing to this channel: you look is the AVMS message concern(or contains some information about) the required stop, then if passing times are from the required line, and then if the passing time have sufficiently change, and if yes extract the info from the others and sent it to the subscriber.
Of course, if this is to complex regarding your use case, you can also decide to have a simple implementation and only support a very minimum set of filtering for subcriptions.

Christophe

Javier Saralegui

Feb 16, 2015, 8:43:29 AM2/16/15
to siri-de...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Christophe!.
Now i have a more clear picture about the subscription pattern and the specific logic related with transport business.

Best regards

Javier