Paging Groups

Brant Kenny

Sep 23, 2021, 10:06:14 PM9/23/21
to sipxcom-users
We have a paging group consisting of 19 phones.  When our users attempt to page this group, only 4-6 phones respond.  Is this a limitation of SipX?

Michael Picher

Sep 24, 2021, 4:11:19 AM9/24/21
to Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
To page many phones, look to Polycom's multicast feature. This should be documented in the wiki.

Mike

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021, 10:06 PM Brant Kenny <bak...@iu12gmail.org> wrote:
We have a paging group consisting of 19 phones.  When our users attempt to page this group, only 4-6 phones respond.  Is this a limitation of SipX?

Iuliu Blaga

Sep 24, 2021, 4:18:26 AM9/24/21
to Michael Picher, Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
From Uniteme documentation:

Overview

A paging group is a group of extensions that will be contacted, automatically go off hook, and have a one way announcement message played. Polycom and LG Nortel phones are by default configured to automatically answer a page. Other phones may need to be configured manually to receive a page.

Note: Paging groups should be limited to a maximum of 20 phones.  Individual call legs are established to each phone, so consider this when using paging at remote locations.  In these instances it may make more sense to utilize an overhead paging device and an FXS or FXO gateway.

Note: For larger paging groups or paging groups at remote locations Polycom phones support multicast paging. This allows all paging traffic to be kept remote and is much more network efficient. See Polycom Handsets Special Configuration Notes.

--

Iuliu Blaga
Sr. Support Engineer

Todd Hodgen

Sep 24, 2021, 4:26:52 AM9/24/21
to Iuliu Blaga, Michael Picher, Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
I've definitely had 15-20 phones in page groups without issues.  We use Polycom exclusively.

sent using my two left twiddling thumbs

Sep 24, 2021, 4:34:00 AM9/24/21
to Todd Hodgen, Iuliu Blaga, Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
The number of phones is a total crap shot because of the race condition that ensues...

Envision all of the invites trying to go out and then all of the messages coming back... Inbound traffic takes priority over outbound.

Multicast is really the way to go here...

Brant Kenny

Sep 24, 2021, 8:08:28 AM9/24/21
to sipxcom-users
Thanks for the feedback.  I tried to access the link in luliu's link.  My account does not have the proper permissions to access the link. Thoughts?

Michael Picher

Sep 24, 2021, 9:13:02 AM9/24/21
to Brant Kenny, sipxcom-users
Search the sipxcom wiki...