911 Emergency Alarms not sending to email

Johnathan Amos

Jan 26, 2023, 11:43:11 AM1/26/23
to sipxcom-users
We are currently running into the issue where when someone calls "911" the emergency alarm triggers on the Sipx server but no email ever processes. It seems our other alarms are working normal for emails.

Matt Keys

Jan 28, 2023, 9:09:29 AM1/28/23
to sipxcom-users
In the webui diagnostics - alarms - "PROXY_EMERG_NUMBER_DIALED" should not be set to disabled, it should be whatever group you have defined in diagnostics - alarms - groups.

diagnostics - alarms - groups - {group} above should not be empty in email addresses

The relevant log data will be in /var/log/maillog for delivery attempts.

Regards,
Matt

Brant Kenny

Jan 28, 2023, 2:42:02 PM1/28/23
to Matt Keys, sipxcom-users
Matt - thanks for your message. "PROXY_EMERG_NUMBER_DIALED" is enabled, a valid group is defined and associated with this alarm, and there is an email address defined in the alarm.

We can see the alarm trigger when we're logged into the console. No message is sent in maillog or recorded in the alarm history page in sipx itself.

Thanks and have a great day!

Brant A. Kenny, ITS

Manager, IT Services
Lincoln Intermediate Unit #12

Educational Technology Services

New Oxford Central Office

65 Billerbeck St

New Oxford, PA 17350

717-624-6514

bak...@iu12.org

http://www.iu12.org

Google Workspace - bak...@iu12gmail.org

Zoom Meeting ID: 586-267-9668

Zoom Meeting URL: https://bit.ly/IU12ManagerITServices

Jan 28, 2023, 4:00:03 PM1/28/23
to Brant Kenny, Matt Keys, sipxcom-users
Do you have more than one email address defined?  I recall having more than one defined broke it in a past version.

sent using my two left twiddling thumbs

Jan 28, 2023, 4:13:02 PM1/28/23
to Todd Hodgen, Matt Keys, sipxcom-users

We had 1 email and several users defined in the original group.  Our test group had a single user in it.  We didn’t see any different in testing.

Brant A. Kenny, ITS

Manager, IT Services
Lincoln Intermediate Unit #12

Educational Technology Services

New Oxford Central Office

65 Billerbeck St

New Oxford, PA 17350

717-624-6514

bak...@iu12.org

http://www.iu12.org

Google Workspace - bak...@iu12gmail.org

Zoom Meeting ID: 586-267-9668

Zoom Meeting URL: https://zoom.us/s/5862679668

Matt Keys

Jan 28, 2023, 4:30:02 PM1/28/23
to sipxcom-users
I'm running Uniteme 21.04 so there may be some differences.

system - dialing - dial plans - emergency dial plan is enabled (this can point to a fake gateway for testing purposes, just remember to correct it later!)

system - dialing - emergency dialing, E911 location defined

users - {user} - E911 location - Emergency Response Location is set to the location above
users - {user} - unified messaging - primary email is set (I used ro...@local.servername.goes.here)

diagnostics - alarms - alarm groups - {group} - Add user to be notified by e-mail - set to user above

diagnostics - job status shows all that is completed

dial 911 on the above user, you should see if you're logged in via ssh as root (I've changed my address, email, fqdn, etc) ..

Message from syslogd@sipx at Jan 28 16:17:02 ...
 sipXproxy[21704]:ALARM_PROXY_EMERG_NUMBER_DIALED Emergency dial rule Emergency (Emergency dialing plan) was invoked by \"Matt Keys\"<sip:2...@sipx.foo> Contact: sip:2...@192.168.1.126;transport=tcp;x-sipX-nonat ELIN: 2223334444 Addr-Info: 555 Fake Address, Some Town, GA, 33333 Location: 555 Fake Address, Some Town, GA, 3333 MAC: 0004f2223333
^C
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root
[root@sipx ~]# cat /var/spool/mail/root

From MAILER...@sipx.home.mattkeys.net  Sat Jan 28 16:17:07 2023
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2023 16:17:02 -0500
From: "sipXecs Alarm Notification Service" <ro...@sipx.foo>
To: ro...@sipx.foo
Subject: Alarm PROXY_EMERG_NUMBER_DIALED : Emergency number dialed.

Message from sipXecs
Alarm: PROXY_EMERG_NUMBER_DIALED
Reported on: sipx.foo
Reported at: 2023-01-28T16:17:02-05:00
Message: Emergency dial rule Emergency (Emergency dialing plan) was invoked by \\\"Matt Keys\\\"<sip:2...@sipx.foo> Contact: sip:2...@192.168.1.126;transport=tcp;x-sipX-nonat ELIN: 2223334444 Addr-Info: 555 Fake Address, Some Town, GA, 33333 Location: 555 Fake Address, Some Town, GA, 33333 MAC: 0004f2223333\"
Suggested Resolution: No action required.

Brant Kenny

Jan 30, 2023, 10:24:24 AM1/30/23
to Matt Keys, sipxcom-users

Matt – Answers are below:

    1. system - dialing - dial plans - emergency dial plan is enabled (this can point to a fake gateway for testing purposes, just remember to correct it later!)
      1. Verified.

      1. system - dialing - emergency dialing, E911 location defined
        1. Verified.

        1. users - {user} - E911 location - Emergency Response Location is set to the location above
          1. Not visible in our version.  We confirmed that locations for the user are correct.

          1. users - {user} - unified messaging - primary email is set (I used ro...@local.servername.goes.here)
            1. Verified

            1. diagnostics - alarms - alarm groups - {group} - Add user to be notified by e-mail - set to user above
              1. Verified.

              1. diagnostics - job status shows all that is completed
                1. Verified

                1. dial 911 on the above user, you should see if you're logged in via ssh as root (I've changed my address, email, fqdn, etc) ..
                  1. Verified

                No email is sent.  Further analysis shows that siplogwatcher.service has failed.  The log shows that it’s already running but is in a failed state.  We do seem to receive some alarms though.  Would that be part of the issue?

                Brant A. Kenny, ITS

                Manager, IT Services
                Lincoln Intermediate Unit #12

                Educational Technology Services

                New Oxford Central Office

                65 Billerbeck St

                New Oxford, PA 17350

                717-624-6514

                bak...@iu12.org

                http://www.iu12.org

                Google Workspace - bak...@iu12gmail.org

                Zoom Meeting ID: 586-267-9668

                Zoom Meeting URL: https://zoom.us/s/5862679668

                Brant Kenny

                Jan 30, 2023, 2:37:25 PM1/30/23
                to Matt Keys, sipxcom-users

                sipxlogwatcher came back with error code 6.  Very odd.

                Brant A. Kenny, ITS

                Manager, IT Services
                Lincoln Intermediate Unit #12

                Educational Technology Services

                New Oxford Central Office

                65 Billerbeck St

                New Oxford, PA 17350

                717-624-6514

                bak...@iu12.org

                http://www.iu12.org

                Google Workspace - bak...@iu12gmail.org

                Zoom Meeting ID: 586-267-9668

                Zoom Meeting URL: https://zoom.us/s/5862679668

                Johnathan Amos

                Feb 3, 2023, 9:40:41 AM2/3/23
                to sipxcom-users
                Here is the exact error we are seeing on our end.

                Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 systemd[1]: Starting SYSV: Simple Event Correlator script to filter log file entries...
                Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 sipxlogwatcher[1265]: sipxlogwatcher is already running[FAILED]
                Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 systemd[1]: sipxlogwatcher.service: control process exited, code=exited status=6
                Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 systemd[1]: Failed to start SYSV: Simple Event Correlator script to filter log file entries.
                Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 systemd[1]: Unit sipxlogwatcher.service entered failed state.
                Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 systemd[1]: sipxlogwatcher.service failed.

                Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. we did do reboots and attempted restarts of our services and nothing seems to work. We are unable to stop/restart/reload this service as well.

                -John Amos

                Matt Keys

                Feb 4, 2023, 7:04:26 PM2/4/23
                to sipxcom-users
                It looks like you've already got it running on pid 1265 --  Feb 02 20:33:44 sipxcom7 sipxlogwatcher[1265]: sipxlogwatcher is already running[FAILED]

                service sipxlogwatcher stop

                ... should stop the process and remove the pid file beneath /var/run/sipxpbx/sipxlogwatcher/ . Verify with ..

                ps aux | grep logwatch | grep -v grep

                You shouldn't see any processes returned.

                service sipxlogwatcher start

                ... should then start it cleanly presuming you haven't manually edited stuff to where it can't.

                service sipxlogwatcher status

                should look like ..

                [root@sipx ~]# service sipxlogwatcher status
                ● sipxlogwatcher.service - SYSV: Simple Event Correlator script to filter log file entries
                   Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/sipxlogwatcher; bad; vendor preset: disabled)
                   Active: active (running) since Sun 2023-01-29 08:06:36 EST; 6 days ago
                     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
                   CGroup: /system.slice/sipxlogwatcher.service
                           └─2041 /usr/bin/perl -w /usr/bin/sec --log=/var/log/sipxpbx/sipxlogwatcher.log --debug=1 --detach --conf=/etc/sipxpbx/sipxlogwatcher.d/*.sec --input=/var/log/mongodb/mongod.log --input=/var/log/sipxpbx/*-alarms.log --input=...

                Jan 29 08:06:33 sipx.some.domain systemd[1]: Starting SYSV: Simple Event Correlator script to filter log file entries...
                Jan 29 08:06:36 sipx.some.domain sipxlogwatcher[1240]: Starting sipxlogwatcher instance 1: [  OK  ]
                Jan 29 08:06:36 sipx.some.domain systemd[1]: Started SYSV: Simple Event Correlator script to filter log file entries.
                [root@sipx ~]#

                Johnathan Amos

                Feb 9, 2023, 9:53:22 AM2/9/23
                to sipxcom-users
                That unfortunately didn't work. Below is the output

                [root@sipxcom johnathan]# service sipxlogwatcher start
                Starting sipxlogwatcher (via systemctl):  Job for sipxlogwatcher.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status sipxlogwatcher.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
                                                                           [FAILED]