Microphone volume level not restored after unmuting

Simone Gaiarin

Feb 5, 2021, 8:18:45 AM2/5/21
to sipX

Hi,

I am using sipXtapi through resiprocate/recon. I originally reported this issue here https://github.com/resiprocate/resiprocate/issues/174 but this problem seems related to sipXtapi.

I was not able to figure out exactly what component of sipXtapi is causing the problem, so I report here where it presents itself in recon.

In Windows 10 after disabling and re-enabling the microphone using recon::ConversationManager the microphone volume is not restored to the original level. This can be verified in Windows by looking at the volume bar in Sound Settings > Input > Device porperties > Volume; after unmuting the volume level is set to 7.

ConversationManager::muteMicrophone(true); ConversationManager::muteMicrophone(false);

Could you help me in debugging this?

resiprocate: 1.12
sipXtapi: repo: sipXtapi-svn-mirror@e8e4ad0
OS: Windows 10 Pro build 19042

Daniel Petrie

Feb 8, 2021, 11:47:42 PM2/8/21
to sipX
Hi Simone:
Just so that we are all talking about the same code.  If you are using any of the sipX libraries, you should be using the original repo, not any of many other forks.  This is the only repo, that I am aware of that is currently being maintained:

The wiki is at:

We don't use the muteMicrophone interface much.  Its an old interface.
A better approach is to not mess with the OS level gain.

I would recommend changing the implementation of ConversationManager::muteMicrophone to something like:

if(mute)
{
    mMediaInterface->getInterface()->setMicGain(0.0);
}
else
{
   // Note if you have changed the mic mix weights else where in the
   // conversation manager, then you
   // will need to cache that non-default mix weight and use that instead of 1.0
   mMediaInterface->getInterface()->setMicGain(1.0);
}

Cheers,
Dan

Simone Gaiarin

Feb 9, 2021, 3:21:32 AM2/9/21
to sipX
Hi Dan,
thanks for the reply. I'll try the solution you proposed.

Regarding the sipXtapi git repository: I have used it because it is referenced in the section 'Branches' o the wiki page you linked me, so I though it was an official repo. I did also open an issue regarding the fact that it is not in sync with the svn repo https://github.com/sipXtapi/sipXtapi-svn-mirror/issues/7.
If those git repos are unmaintained it would be good to remove them from the wiki page, and update the README of the git repos (if you have access to them) to say they are unmaintained, because all this generates quite a lot of confusion to who first approaches this library.

Cheers,
Simone