SIOC extension describing post characteristics and relations

mkranz

Apr 26, 2009, 1:18:17 PM4/26/09
to SIOC-Dev
hello all

not long ago i started working on my diploma thesis, and as a part of
this i plan to develop a SIOC-based ontology that should make it
possible to classify posts and relations between posts based on a set
of typical characteristics.
for example, a post can be a question, an answer (to a question), part
of a discussion, an announcement or simply off-topic.
i am currently looking for related work, and this is why i am posting
here.
so, does anyone of you

a) know of something similar that is either already existing or is
planned? i know of the "SIOC argumentation module" that seems to
describe a part of what i was thinking of, but that's about it.

b) have any ideas on the way of finding a good base of
characteristics? i think it would be best to base this characteristics
on existing scientific research or maybe some data evaluation, but i
couldn't find anything useful so far.

if you have any ideas or useful information, please let me know, i'm
happy about any input.
thanks in advance

marco kranz

Alexandre Passant

Apr 27, 2009, 4:40:59 AM4/27/09
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Le 26 avr. 09 à 18:18, mkranz a écrit :

> hello all
>
> not long ago i started working on my diploma thesis, and as a part of
> this i plan to develop a SIOC-based ontology that should make it
> possible to classify posts and relations between posts based on a set
> of typical characteristics.
> for example, a post can be a question, an answer (to a question), part
> of a discussion, an announcement or simply off-topic.
> i am currently looking for related work, and this is why i am posting
> here.
> so, does anyone of you
>
> a) know of something similar that is either already existing or is
> planned? i know of the "SIOC argumentation module" that seems to
> describe a part of what i was thinking of, but that's about it.

There's indeed the SIOC Argumentation module [1] but also ongoing work
on the SWAN/SIOC project, see [2].
In that context, mappings have been defined between SWAN and SIOC wrt
modeling arguments and hypothesis on the Web [3].
Also note that the SIOC Types module [4] defines types for questions,
answer and best answer.

Hope that helps,

Alex.

[1] http://rdfs.org/sioc/argument
[2] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG/SWANSIOC
[3] http://rdfs.org/sioc/swan
[4] http://rdfs.org/sioc/types

--
Alexandre Passant
Digital Enterprise Research Institute

Jack Park

Apr 27, 2009, 10:57:12 AM4/27/09
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
This is, indeed, interesting. It appears to exist in parallel to the
IBIS work being done by a variety of sources including:
http://compendium.open.ac.uk/
http://cohere.open.ac.uk/
http://austhink.com/
and others.

I would like to hope that we begin to think in terms of learning from
each other, sharing ideas, heading towards a more easily federated
universe of structured stories.

Jack

Jack Park

Apr 27, 2009, 11:18:51 AM4/27/09
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Diving deeper, I see that the SIOC OWL work already references Danny
Ayers' IBIS rdfs code ( http://hyperdata.org/xmlns/ibis/ ), which, to
me, suggests that much of the IBIS work started by Jeff Conklin (
http://cognexus.org/ ) appears to be understood in the SIOC community.
The Cohere project extends IBIS to include a larger variety of
coherence relations, and adds roles to nodes.

I am recently starting a project to think in terms of "discourse
interchange" languages. I tend to think that Danny's IBIS work can
serve as a foundation for such an effort. some of my background
thoughts are captured in slides found at
http://www.slideshare.net/sbs/gardening-in-a-knowledge-federation-presentation

Jack

Jack Park

Apr 27, 2009, 4:29:48 PM4/27/09
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
limits of my one semester of The German I took roughly 40 years ago.
It's the lone statement at the site
http://workshop.sioc-project.org/wiki/SiocArgumentationModule
mentioned below.

I'd like to contribute in any way I can to this aspect of SIOC, given
that I'm already working on a thesis project in the area of boundary
infrastructures for hypermedia discourse.

Jack

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Christoph LANGE
<ch.l...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  being one of the creators of the SIOC argumentation module, let me join the
> discussion.
>
> The SIOC argumentation module is the result of discussions in a group of some
> three to five people and far from being definitive or "standardized".  As Jack
> pointed out, we tried our best to base it on existing work like IBIS.
> Nevertheless, we'd be happy to receive input from the community and evolve the
> module accordingly.
>
> Another thing that has not yet been done so far is the public documentation of
> that module.  Besides the metadata in the source file, there is no
> documentation so far.  A lot of
> * design rationale
> * original discussion
> * half-done documentation
> * future to-dos
> is available in the semi-public SIOC work area at
> http://workshop.sioc-project.org/wiki/SiocArgumentationModule and should
> actually be transferred to the public SIOC wiki.  Let me suggest to start this
> as a collaborative effort (and maybe collect requests for improving/revising
> the module in the same run) -- what do you think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Christoph
>
> --
> Christoph Lange, Jacobs Univ. Bremen, http://kwarc.info/clange, Skype duke4701

Simon Reinhardt

Apr 27, 2009, 5:09:00 PM4/27/09
to SIOC-Dev
On Apr 27, 9:29 pm, Jack Park <jackp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> limits of my one semester of The German I took roughly 40 years ago.
> It's the lone statement at the sitehttp://workshop.sioc-project.org/wiki/SiocArgumentationModule
> mentioned below.

"You're not allowed to view this page." :-)

Regards,
Simon

Christoph Lange

Apr 27, 2009, 5:27:03 PM4/27/09
to SIOC-Dev
Sorry, I'm having trouble posting to this group, even though I thought
I had replied using my Google account. Here is my mail:

Christoph Lange

Apr 27, 2009, 5:27:34 PM4/27/09
to SIOC-Dev
On Monday 27 April 2009 22:29:48 Jack Park wrote:
> limits of my one semester of The German I took roughly 40 years ago.
> It's the lone statement at the site
> http://workshop.sioc-project.org/wiki/SiocArgumentationModule
> mentioned below.

Oh, that's strange -- the MoinMoin wiki software is German, but most
of its
user interface has been internationalized.

Anyway: that means that you are not allowed to view the page, and that
is
because that wiki is semi-public. Once you sign up (via the login
page), you
can access everything, though.

Jack Park

Apr 27, 2009, 6:46:59 PM4/27/09
to Christoph LANGE, sioc...@googlegroups.com
That worked. I can read the page now.
Many thanks
Jack

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Christoph LANGE
<ch.l...@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> On Monday 27 April 2009 22:29:48 Jack Park wrote:

>> limits of my one semester of The German I took roughly 40 years ago.
>> It's the lone statement at the site
>> http://workshop.sioc-project.org/wiki/SiocArgumentationModule
>> mentioned below.
>

> Oh, that's strange -- the MoinMoin wiki software is German, but most of its
> user interface has been internationalized.
>
> Anyway: that means that you are not allowed to view the page, and that is
> because that wiki is semi-public.  Once you sign up (via the login page), you
> can access everything, though.

Matthias Samwald

Apr 30, 2009, 4:56:40 AM4/30/09
to SIOC-Dev
There is even more going on in the area of 'discourse
representation' (or whatever you want to call it). For example, the
CITO ontology developed at Oxford (mostly in the biomedical domain)
also has some components that are related to this.

I think in the context of SIOC (and practical application on the web
in general), the goal should NOT be to create a fancy, complicated and
very academic ontology for representing discourse. In my opinion, the
goal should rather be to find agreement on the most simple and at the
same time most important concepts and relations. Two properties
('agrees with', 'disagrees with') might already be enough for most
practical purposes.

-- Matthias

Jack Park

Apr 30, 2009, 2:22:25 PM4/30/09
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
I agree with this sentiment; what I seek is that, in the long run,
each of these "simple" boundary objects (ontologies) exist as a subset
of something much larger. All that to render federation much simpler.
Simple is good!

Does CITO stand for Citation Typing Ontology? [1]

Jack
[1] http://imageweb.zoo.ox.ac.uk/pub/2008/publications/Shotton_ISMB_BioOntology_CiTO_preprint.pdf