Possible use of SIOC in W3C Data on the Web Best Practices (DWBP) Dataset Usage Vocabulary

Eric Stephan

Apr 21, 2015, 9:55:53 AM4/21/15
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
As part of the W3C Data Activity, a Dataset Usage Vocabulary is currently being developed.

The Dataset Usage Vocabulary (DUV) can illustrate how DCAT datasets are used by humans and machines as well as describe consumer feedback in the form of user experiences and citation references.  At our F2F meeting last week SIOC was introduced as a possible way to capture consumer feedback about a dataset.
We plan to have a first draft of the vocabulary in the latter part of May and would greatly appreciate your input as we move forward.

Thanks,

Eric Stephan, co-editor W3C Dataset Usage Vocabulary.

Jodi Schneider

Apr 21, 2015, 10:20:06 AM4/21/15
to sioc...@googlegroups.com, eri...@gmail.com
On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Eric Stephan <eri...@gmail.com> wrote:
As part of the W3C Data Activity, a Dataset Usage Vocabulary is currently being developed.

The Dataset Usage Vocabulary (DUV) can illustrate how DCAT datasets are used by humans and machines as well as describe consumer feedback in the form of user experiences and citation references.  At our F2F meeting last week SIOC was introduced as a possible way to capture consumer feedback about a dataset.

Great to hear, Eric!

Any sample triple to give an example of usage?

We plan to have a first draft of the vocabulary in the latter part of May and would greatly appreciate your input as we move forward.

Sure, please share the draft with this mailing list once it's available. And let us know about any other particular feedback that would be helpful in the meantime.

-Jodi

Thanks,

Eric Stephan, co-editor W3C Dataset Usage Vocabulary.

Eric Stephan

Apr 21, 2015, 12:00:34 PM4/21/15
to jschn...@pobox.com, sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jodi,

We are just pulling the document together and don't have triples for you, but to show you where we are heading the need for feedback is motivated by the DWBP Use Cases.  See the use case links [1] at the:  R-UsageFeedback requirement .  We also have a Best Practices document [2] that has a feedback [3] best practice that further illustrate what we are thinking about.   By next week we should have draft material in github and will be happy to share what we are thinking about.

One note of interest is that we are an open data activity and so we will be offering our vocabulary and examples in both semantic and JSON-LD [4]  (Javascript Object Notation for Linked Data) forms.  I don't know if any SIOC activities are using JSON-LD, but I'd be interested in examples of how they are using your vocab in JSON-LD.

Eric Stephan

References

Breslin, John

Apr 21, 2015, 5:10:45 PM4/21/15
to sioc...@googlegroups.com, jschn...@pobox.com
Hi Eric, Jodi

This sounds interesting – I am happy to contribute when the draft is ready.

I'm sure SIOC can be used to describe the user feedback – will it be standalone comments (user feedback) on a per dataset basis or threads?

I haven't seen SIOC in JSON-LD but maybe someone else has.

SIOC will be fine for the feedback, but as for ratings we haven't implemented them yet (there was a proposal document by Thomas Schandl at http://wiki.sioc-project.org/index.php/Ontology/RatingTermsSuggestion but that was from quite some time ago).

The Review vocabulary terms should suit just fine though: http://vocab.org/review/terms.html

Best regards,

John.
--
I am on a six-month sabbatical from teaching and admin activities between 1 January and 30 June 2015.
My inbox will become a bit of a black hole during this time as I concentrate on my research activities.

Dr John Breslin http://linkd.in/johnbreslin http://twitter.com/johnbreslin
Senior Lecturer, Electronic Engineering, NUI Galway http://www.nuigalway.ie
Researcher, Social Semantic Web, Insight Centre for Data Analytics http://insight-centre.org

An Dr Seán Ó Breasláin http://twitter.com/seanobreaslain
Léachtóir Sinsearach, Innealtóireacht Leictreonach, ÓE Gaillimh http://www.oegaillimh.ie
Taighdeoir, Social Semantic Web, Ionad Anailísíochta Sonraí Insight http://insight-centre.org

Eric Stephan

Apr 22, 2015, 8:34:20 AM4/22/15
to sioc...@googlegroups.com, jschn...@pobox.com
John,

Thank you for the link to the past proposals, this may be extremely useful to us in the near term thinking about ratings.  Yes I will definitely keep in touch.

Cheers,

Eric Stephan
To post to this group, send email to sio...@googlegroups.com.

Breslin, John

Sep 21, 2015, 10:38:14 AM9/21/15
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric

Just checking if any update on this and if there is anything we can do from our side.

We still have some long outstanding changes to add to SIOC so can always add any missing terms that make sense.

John.
--
Director, Social Media @ResearchCentre socialmediaresearchcentre.com
Funded Investigator, @Insight_Centre for Data Analytics insight-centre.org

An Dr @SeanOBreaslain
Léachtóir Sinsearach, Innealtóireacht Leictreonach, @OEGaillimh oegaillimh.ie
Stiúrthóir, Ionad Taighde na Meáin Shóisialta
Taighdeoir, Ionad Anailísíochta Sonraí Insight

Uldis Bojars

Sep 22, 2015, 4:54:46 AM9/22/15
to SIOC-Dev, eri...@gmail.com
Hi John,

Indeed, it would be good to get an update re. this question.

There are a couple of mentions of SIOC on the DWBP wiki:
   - http://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Dataset_usage_vocab_workspace
   - http://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Quality_and_Granularity_Description_Vocabulary

The first link mentions a decision to use the Review vocab.

Uldis

Jair Alarcón

Sep 22, 2015, 2:12:59 PM9/22/15
to sioc...@googlegroups.com
Hello friends, anybody knows a triple extraction framework or API like Alchemy [1]? Thanks!

1337

Eric Stephan

Sep 23, 2015, 11:19:39 AM9/23/15
to Uldis Bojars, SIOC-Dev, Bernadette Farias Loscio, Purohit, Sumit
Hi all,

We have been working on the data usage vocabulary since April and preparing for another round for comments in the coming weeks.  Here is our current draft http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/vocab-du.html.    We examined the SIOC pretty thoroughly in April and May and I was personally impressed about the details of the SIOC.  Another suggested path was to look at the Web Annotation vocabulary.  http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/

At this point, we using the annotation vocabulary for feedback because it seemed like a more natural fit in a vocabulary that is dataset centric.   We did work through several revisions of the DUV with the SIOC and the SIOC appeared to be more forum centric.

Having said this, the current perspective of the DUV is to be remain lightweight in terms of capturing feedback, it would be interesting to add a section in our technical notes about how the DUV could connect to the SIOC because of the extensive details the SIOC provides about on-line forums.

Bernadette, Sumit (copied on this email) and I are extremely interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas on the direction we are headed.

Thank you,

Eric Stephan

 the Annotation vocab seemed to be a more natural way of capturing feedback about a dataset.  When attempting to use the SIOC