blackoil simple example

Frank Michels

Jan 29, 2021, 5:22:39 AM1/29/21
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hello,

I am looking for an example that shows the steps to get a simple water/oil/gas model in which i can learn from the creation of fluid/relperm. I can find the SPE based examples but these do not show the MRST functionality step-by-step.

kind regards,

Frank

francesc...@sintef.no

Jan 30, 2021, 5:02:51 AM1/30/21
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi,

If you have a look at the simulatorWorkflowExample in the ad-blackoil module it will show you how to set up a model step by step in MRST. You can also look at the code for individual functions to find out how they work. For instance, initSimpleADIFluid will explain in more detail how to set up the fluid properties.

Hope this helps,

Francesca

Frank Michels

Feb 3, 2021, 4:05:23 AM2/3/21
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Francesca et al,

I have been working with the 'simulatorWorkflowExample' script and made steps towards the scenario I want to investigate. That scenario is a water injector and producer (geothermal) with a free gaspocket in the crest of the structure, the aim is to see the pressure impaqct of the free gas relative to a case without gas. I got this scenario set up now. My next goal is to add capillary forces and found the function 'initSimpleFluidJfunc' to model the fluids. This function, I believe,  is for two phases only and lacks compressibility (incomp module).

Is there a set of functions (fluid, initialization, solver) that can work with three-phase blackoil with capillary forces and compressibility included?

kind regards,

Frank

Olav Møyner

Feb 4, 2021, 3:37:13 AM2/4/21
to Frank Michels, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi Frank,

The model you describe can easily be modified to work with additional physical effects. For instance, we can easily add a linear capillary pressure between the oil-water phases before the call to TwoPhaseOilWaterModel:

fluid.pcOW = @(Sw) -Sw*10*barsa;

The initialization etc will then account for capillary equilibrium:

The same goes for b-factors (proportional to density) - you can easily specify a function and the AD solvers will figure it out. I think there's more on this in the free MRST book. You can also have a look at the example
blockAssemblyBigModelExample.m from ad-core, which sets up a generic three-phase model with compressibility. The setup is mostly based on this example and the upscalingExample3 from the book module, and the focus of the comments etc is not on setting up the simulation case, but the setup is complete.

Best regards,
Olav