modelling CO2 dissolution

alex meson

Jun 11, 2024, 5:47:02 AMJun 11
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi, Olav
I sincerely request your assistance. I'm building a simulation of underground hydrogen storage. Now I need to simulate the CO2 dissolution process in the water phase. I would like to ask if I need to build the VEfluid (using the initVEFuildHForm function or should I use another function?) or just add the CO2 in the getBenchmarkMixture function or both. What's the difference?
Best Regards
Alyx Lu

Olav Møyner

Jun 11, 2024, 9:55:23 AMJun 11
to alex meson, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi Alyx,

Maybe I misunderstood you, but it sounds like you are mixing two different fluid descriptions. The initVEFluidHForm is used for a quite old but still functional incompressible vertical equilibrium solver. The compositional mixtures are used for a 3D compositional simulator. These are very different and cannot be used together in any way. Compositional solvers require a fair bit of experience to get correct results for CO2 mixtures and can be expensive to run with sufficient resolution. VE models make simplifying assumptions, but are much faster when vertical segregation is fast. I do not think the VE solvers are the right choice for a H2 storage scenario.

The best way to get a understanding of how the different solvers in MRST are set up is to read the free MRST books while simultaneously looking at the corresponding examples.

Best regards,
Olav