Component and Flux units from WellSols

Mai MRST

May 13, 2024, 6:09:19 PMMay 13
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Good evening MRST team, I am running some geothermal models and was wondering, what units are flux and ComponentTotalFlux in within the wellSols report? First row is an injector well with multiple injection points, second row is a producer with one production point.

wellsols.png
wells.png
I tried injecting salt water as well, changing the well components to [0.965, 0.035] for 3.5% salt concentration. The results show that the flux has decreased for salt water injection. Of course depending on what units flux is in, if it is mass related, would we not expect higher flux due to the added salt?
saltwellsols.png
saltwell.png
I would be very thankful and appreciative of any contributions to the questions!

Mai

Olav Møyner

May 14, 2024, 4:18:10 AMMay 14
to Mai MRST, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi Mai,

ComponentTotalFlux is the mass rate (kg/s) of each component. Increasing the salt concentration will increase the component rate of the salt component (second column in ComponentTotalFlux) and decrease the water component rate (first column) accordingly. This is consistent with your screenshots from what I can see, with the first perforation flux going from 1.2104 kg/s water and 0 kg/s salt to 1.0725 kg/s water and 0.126 kg/s salt.

Best regards,
Olav