inclusionsMultiscale.m modified

Junqiang Wang

Apr 11, 2024, 12:20:34 AMApr 11
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Dear MRST Community,

I tried to use the MSFV method to run inclusionsMultiscale.m instead of MsRSB. However I met the error called " assert(isfield(CG, 'dual'), 'The MsFV method requires a dual grid!');". Then I add the code and met another error as follows,
Snipaste_2024-04-11_10-57-24.pngSnipaste_2024-04-11_10-57-49.png
The completed script file is  attached. How to modify the example script if I want to use the msfv method.

Looking forward to your reply.
Best regards.
J.WANG

Olav Møyner

Apr 11, 2024, 3:39:30 AMApr 11
to Junqiang Wang, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi,

This example is specifically made to demonstrate one of the known issues with the MsFV method: Setting up a valid dual grid is difficult even for a Cartesian grid when there are many inactive cells. So, I'm afraid there is no quick fix to setting up a valid dual grid to use the MsFV method here unless you want to draw it manually. You can read the paper that this example is taken from for more context:

My co-author Knut-Andreas has a preprint archived here: https://folk.ntnu.no/andreas/papers/msrsb-incomp.pdf

Best regards,
Olav

to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group

Hello,

I read https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcp.2015.10.010 and have some questions for the mrst community. Attached is a screenshot of the formula

微信图片_20240613171322.png
Is there a specific derivation and reference proof of how the coarsening correction in that formula ensures that the update does not remove the coarser scale conservation.

Looking forward to your reply.
Best regards.
J.WANG

Olav Møyner

Jun 14, 2024, 5:39:52 AMJun 14
to Junqiang Wang, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi,

If you move the term y^k into the parenthesis by multiplying with the inverse of R A_c^{-1} P you will see that the right hand side is simply P A_c^{-1} R d^k, i.e. the defect itself, solved with the conservative coarse scale multiscale pressure operator.

The notation may be different, but this trick exists in the earlier iterative MsFV papers to preserve conservation (divergence free velocity fields after reconstruction) for incompressible flow.

Best regards,
Olav

Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2024 11:18

To: MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group <sinte...@googlegroups.com>