Understanding and Using MRST Solvers

Calvin Scott

Jun 11, 2024, 8:58:58 AMJun 11
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Dear Team,

Hello, while using MRST, the reservoir permeability changes during the production process, so I cannot directly use the `simulateScheduleAD` function for solving calculations. Is there a suitable solver for compressible fluids that I can use for custom solving? This way, I can include the permeability influence term during iterative solving.

I particularly need to further understand and research the solvers in MRST (rather than the integrated production calculation function `simulateScheduleAD`). Is there any explanation or case study on how to use the solvers?
Thank you.

Best regards,
Calvin

Olav Møyner

Jun 11, 2024, 9:48:12 AMJun 11
to Calvin Scott, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi,

You can have a look at the example in ad-core: adBuckleyLeverett1D

This example solves the same problem in a few different ways, one of which is by a manual timestepping loop.

Best regards,
Olav

Jun 11, 2024, 12:00:46 PMJun 11
to MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Dear Olav,

Thank you very much for your clarification. In the example, the main function used for the solution is NonLinearSolver.m. I also learned that the implicitTransport.m function can be used for solving calculations as well. Is that correct?

Finally, may I ask you one more question: When using prodS = addWell([],G.Matrix,G.Matrix.rock,c,'type','bhp','Val', 600*barsa,'Radius',.06*meter,'Dir','x','Skin',skin,'name','prod', 'compi', [0, 0, 1]);, how can I set the perforation points to be open or closed?
If I want to close certain perforation points to prevent fluid from entering that formation, how should I set it?

Best regards,

Olav Møyner

Jun 11, 2024, 3:32:47 PMJun 11
to Calvin Scott, MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group
Hi,

The NonLinearSolver method is the class, where solveTimestep is the main method for updating the solution. I think this is covered in some detail in the MRST books and the documentation.

implicitTransport is a transport solver from the incomp module. It is a different set of solvers from the AD codes and problems are set up differently. It also needs a pressure solver.

You can close perforations using the .status flag, which has one entry per perforation.

Best regards,
Olav

Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2024 18:00

To: MRST-users: The Matlab Reservoir Simulation Toolbox User Group <sinte...@googlegroups.com>