The third Singapore-HCI Paperthon: 13-15 January, 2020

Alex Mitchell

Dec 15, 2019, 5:25:32 AM12/15/19
to Singapore HCI Announce
Hi everyone,

We're organizing our third paperthon in January. A paperthon is a hackathon-style event designed to facilitate a more collaborative paper-writing experience. Participants brainstorm a paper idea, then work over 48 hours to come up with a 4-page paper draft, focusing in the ideas rather than the details. The idea is that working within a very tightly constrained time-frame will force you to make decisions and move your concepts forward, possibly taking risks but with only 2 days of your time at stake. :) Ideally, this can form the basis for a full paper for submission to an academic conference.

The announcement from the main organizer, Katherine Fennedy (SUTD), is attached below. Thank you to Dr. Kotaro Hara from SMU for providing the venue, and A/P Zhao Shengdong from NUS for the original idea for the paperthon format. For more information, see the Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/3083158281908576/.

Hope to see you there!

thanks,
Alex

--

🎉NEW YEAR, NEW GOALS 🎉
Looking for motivation to kickstart your paper-writing engine?

What is a Paperthon?
Take the idea of a hackathon, and twist it with a paper-writing element. This is relevant especially when we could relate to how a research process can sometimes be solitary and lack the opportunity to brainstorm with others.

Who should participate?
This event is highly recommended for Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) researchers based in Singapore, regardless of levels of experience. From students to RAs/Post-Docs to Faculty, all are welcome.

Register here: tiny.cc/PaperthonJan2020

This event is made possible by the collaboration between HCI researchers from NUS, SMU and SUTD.

Schedule:

Monday, 13 January 2020
18:00-18:30: Introduction
18:30-19:30: Dinner + Grouping + Brainstorm
19:30: Hackathon Starts

Tuesday, 14 January 2020
09:00-17:00
Optional Consultation with Alex/Shen (online, details to be provided during the introduction on Monday)

Wednesday, 15 January 2020
16:45-17:00 Hackathon Ends (submit draft)
19:00-19:30 Sharing Session + Review from Alex/Shen
19:30-20:00 Future Work Discussion
20:00-20:30 Event Feedback + Conclude

Alex Mitchell

Jan 7, 2020, 9:47:00 PM1/7/20
to Singapore HCI Announce
Hi everyone,

Just a reminder of the paperthon coming up next week. Please do sign up if you are interested in taking part. For more information, see the Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/3083158281908576/.

thanks,
Alex