ecommerce on sinatra

Steph Skardal

Mar 4, 2011, 4:25:37 PM3/4/11
to sina...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know I've written a few articles on ecommerce
on Sinatra:

http://blog.endpoint.com/2011/01/sinatra-ecommerce-tutorial.html

http://blog.endpoint.com/2011/01/ruby-ecommerce-sinatra-products-admin.html

http://blog.endpoint.com/2011/02/ecommerce-sinatra-shopping-cart.html

I'm admittedly a bit of a Sinatra noob, so I'm sure there is room for
improvement on the code itself, but my company focuses on ecommerce
development and I had interest in trying Sinatra out for ecommerce after
working on another Sinatra project.

I saw a post a while back bringing up Spree, which we have been fairly
involved with for a while. This ecommerce / Sinatra project is in no
position to be compared to Spree because it's super simple, but it might
give some folks some ideas for Sinatra development of an ecommerce system.

~Steph

Francisco Cabrita

Mar 4, 2011, 8:34:20 PM3/4/11
to sina...@googlegroups.com, Steph Skardal
Hi Steph,

Thanks for share, I just arrived now home from a 400Km trip; opened my laptop and marked this email as important to read :)

pachl

Mar 4, 2011, 11:39:09 PM3/4/11
to sinatrarb
On Mar 4, 2:25 pm, Steph Skardal <stephskar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to let you know I've written a few articles on ecommerce
> on Sinatra:
>
> http://blog.endpoint.com/2011/01/sinatra-ecommerce-tutorial.html
>
> http://blog.endpoint.com/2011/01/ruby-ecommerce-sinatra-products-admi...
>
> http://blog.endpoint.com/2011/02/ecommerce-sinatra-shopping-cart.html
>
> I'm admittedly a bit of a Sinatra noob, so I'm sure there is room for
> improvement on the code itself, but my company focuses on ecommerce
> development and I had interest in trying Sinatra out for ecommerce after
> working on another Sinatra project.
>
> I saw a post a while back bringing up Spree, which we have been fairly
> involved with for a while. This ecommerce / Sinatra project is in no
> position to be compared to Spree because it's super simple, but it might
> give some folks some ideas for Sinatra development of an ecommerce system.
>
> ~Steph

Great articles Steph. I especially liked the info regarding storage
mechanisms for shopping carts. I'm stealing an idea or two from your
shopping cart article. Thanks!

I left a comment about REST as well.

Another idea I had was to take advantage of the fact that Rack un/
serializes objects stored in session (cookie-based). Perhaps then you
could just implement the [marshal]_(dump|load) methods on your cart
object and get cart storage and reloading for free. Then, you wouldn't
have to write little cookie-based storage routines withing your routes
like you did. I haven't done this with Sinatra, but it worked well
when I was using Ramaze. Just a thought. Someone please correct me if
my thinking has mis-fired.

Very professional articles Steph. Thanks.