Announcing Padrino: A Webapp Framework wrapped around Sinatra

Arthur Chiu

Apr 1, 2010, 10:19:04 PM4/1/10
to sinatrarb
www.padrinorb.com/guides/standalone-usage-in-sinatra">modular</a> ruby
web framework built upon the excellent Sinatra Microframework. Padrino
was created to make it fun and easy to code more advanced web
applications while still adhering to the spirit that makes Sinatra
great! It provides a full set of standardized view helpers, an
enhanced router, i18n localization, a Django-esque admin interface,
generators, mountable applications and much more. Get started by
reading our <a href="http://www.padrinorb.com/guides">guides</a>,
viewing our <a href="http://vimeo.com/10522357">screencast</a>, or
checking out the <a href="http://github.com/padrino/padrino-
framework">github repo</a> for more information!

Let us know what you think, we really appreciate the feedback. Thanks
guys!

Tanner Burson

Apr 2, 2010, 11:57:40 AM4/2/10
to sina...@googlegroups.com
Just read through the docs, haven't even gone so far as to install it yet.  There are some pieces that look really great, and I might incorporate into some apps I'm working on. Do you have any performance numbers as compared to vanilla Sinatra? I'd be curious to see how the modified routing, and smarter render methods in particular perform.

Using ActiveRecord on the DB side pretty much guarantees that I won't ever go as far as to use the full stack, but I can understand the appeal!

Overall, looks good, and look forward to seeing where it goes!

--
===Tanner Burson===
tanner...@gmail.com

Konstantin Haase

Apr 2, 2010, 12:04:13 PM4/2/10
to sina...@googlegroups.com

DAddYE

Apr 2, 2010, 12:45:59 PM4/2/10
to sinatrarb
> I think it supports multiple ORMs.

Yep! Ar, Dm, Mm, CouchDb, Sequel, MongoId

Tanner Burson

Apr 2, 2010, 2:38:26 PM4/2/10
to sina...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:45 AM, DAddYE <d.dag...@lipsiasoft.com> wrote:
> I think it supports multiple ORMs.

Yep! Ar, Dm, Mm, CouchDb, Sequel, MongoId

I see that now, my mistake!

Nathan Esquenazi

Apr 2, 2010, 2:15:19 PM4/2/10
to sinatrarb
As far as performance numbers, we are going to work on benchmarking
between vanilla Sinatra, Padrino, and Rails 3 which I think will be an
interesting read even though as many people know making an 'accurate'
benchmark is almost impossible because it is so directly tied to app
that is going to be run. I can say that from my standpoint, I doubt
Padrino makes things much slower than plain Sinatra. The only real
slowdowns might be our more advanced routing system and/or rendering
systems and then the slowdown from utilizing helpers heavily. The
routing system we use behind the scenes is Usher though which might
actually end up not being much slower than the standard Sinatra
routing. The slowdown from helper usage is unlikely to be a huge issue
but obviously will be slower than hardcoding html.

Perhaps we needed to do a better job explaining that Padrino is
agnostic to ORM, Javascript, Testing Framework, Stylesheet Engine
(SASS, LESS), etc and the generators even support scaffolding projects
with any number of different libraries and tools. This is definitely
one of my favorite features of our framework. Check out
http://www.padrinorb.com/guides/generators for more information. We
used ActiveRecord for the blog tutorial purely to make the transition
and comparison to Rails as easy for a new user as possible.

Thanks!

trans

Apr 3, 2010, 9:37:51 AM4/3/10
to sinatrarb

On Apr 2, 2:15 pm, Nathan Esquenazi <xgamer...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as performance numbers, we are going to work on benchmarking
> between vanilla Sinatra, Padrino, and Rails 3 which I think will be an
> interesting read even though as many people know making an 'accurate'
> benchmark is almost impossible because it is so directly tied to app
> that is going to be run.

I'd like to see Ramaze in there too.

Nathan Esquenazi

Apr 8, 2010, 2:20:41 PM4/8/10
to sinatrarb
Yes, we have heard the call for bechmarks. It is *very rough* right
now and we need to beef up the test application, but check out our
first Padrino benchmarks here: http://github.com/DAddYE/web-frameworks-benchmark/tree/template_render
. And let us know what you think and how we should improve it. Here we
benchmarked a sample app rendering a basic erb template in rack (the
control of sorts), sinatra, padrino, ramaze, and rails3.

Nathan Esquenazi

Apr 22, 2010, 4:49:41 AM4/22/10
to sinatrarb
Hey guys! Just released version 0.9.10 which comes with a lot of
additional features, bug fixes and performance optimizations. Read our
blog post for more details: http://www.padrinorb.com/blog/padrino-0-9-10-released-built-for-speed

Blog post contains a rundown of all new features and even the results
of our three benchmark tests! Spoiler: Padrino is actually as fast as
plain Sinatra in all three benchmarks!

Let us know what you guys think.