What causes Unknown authentication source

56 views
Skip to first unread message

Dinesh Shrivastava

unread,
Nov 7, 2019, 10:16:22 AM11/7/19
to SimpleSAMLphp developers
I am upgrading the simpleSAML, geeting the following error, can any one suggest what cause and how will it resolve, thanks

SimpleSAML\Error\AuthSource: Error with authentication source 'alu': Unknown authentication source. in SimpleSAML\Auth\Simple->getAuthSource() (line 68 of /mnt/www/html/alewebdev/simplesamlphp/lib/SimpleSAML/Auth/Simple.php). request_id="...

Thanks!

Jaime Pérez Crespo

unread,
Nov 8, 2019, 3:31:07 AM11/8/19
to simplesa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dinesh,

For questions on usage of SimpleSAMLphp, you should use the general users mailing list.

With such little information, it’s difficult if not impossible to offer a diagnose. In any case, ' is an apostrophe, so I’d take my chances and say that your auth source configuration is probably wrong. You are trying to authenticate with an auth source called ‘alu’ (quote signs included). Do you have such an auth source defined?

On 7 Nov 2019, at 16:16, Dinesh Shrivastava <dinesh.shr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am upgrading the simpleSAML, geeting the following error, can any one suggest what cause and how will it resolve, thanks
>
> SimpleSAML\Error\AuthSource: Error with authentication source &#039;alu&#039;: Unknown authentication source. in SimpleSAML\Auth\Simple->getAuthSource() (line 68 of /mnt/www/html/alewebdev/simplesamlphp/lib/SimpleSAML/Auth/Simple.php). request_id="...

--
Jaime Pérez
Uninett / Feide

PGP: 9A08 EA20 E062 70B4 616B 43E3 562A FE3A 6293 62C2
https://keybase.io/jaimeperez

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Dinesh Shrivastava

unread,
Nov 8, 2019, 4:08:20 AM11/8/19
to SimpleSAMLphp developers
Thanks Jaime for your response,
Actually the application and configuration did by someone else and now I am handling this application,
So I am not aware where I need to set all configuration,
I added configuration in:
1) config/config.php = add configure
2) simplesamlphp/cert = add certificates
3) simplesamlphp/config/authsources.php = set idp configuration url

You are trying to authenticate with an auth source called ‘alu’ (quote signs included). Do you have such an auth source defined?
Can you please guide me where I need to define or configure this, it will really helpful to me.
Thanks! 

Jaime Pérez Crespo

unread,
Nov 8, 2019, 4:12:37 AM11/8/19
to simplesa...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

On 8 Nov 2019, at 10:08, Dinesh Shrivastava <dinesh.shr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jaime for your response,
> Actually the application and configuration did by someone else and now I am handling this application,
> So I am not aware where I need to set all configuration,
> I added configuration in:
> 1) config/config.php = add configure

What does that mean?

> 2) simplesamlphp/cert = add certificates
> 3) simplesamlphp/config/authsources.php = set idp configuration url

Did you have a working configuration before? Or have you configured everything from scratch?

In any case, have you looked into the documentation?

>> You are trying to authenticate with an auth source called ‘alu’ (quote signs included). Do you have such an auth source defined?
> Can you please guide me where I need to define or configure this, it will really helpful to me.

config/authsources.php

It would help if you share your actual configuration (of course, redacting whatever might be sensitive on it).

Dinesh Shrivastava

unread,
Nov 8, 2019, 4:24:33 AM11/8/19
to SimpleSAMLphp developers
Hi Jaime,
Actually it was SAML 1.11 previously for drupal 7 application.
I had need to upgrade, So I replaced this with SAML 1.17.7

and did the following changes.
1) added configuration in config/config.php, by seeing old config file
2) copy and paste all cert in new simplesamlphp/cert from old saml
3) and had set idp url in simplesamlphp/config/authsources.php

Yes I am configuring from scratch in latest SAML

On Friday, 8 November 2019 14:42:37 UTC+5:30, Jaime Pérez wrote:
Hi again,

On 8 Nov 2019, at 10:08, Dinesh Shrivastava <dinesh.shr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jaime for your response,
> Actually the application and configuration did by someone else and now I am handling this application,
> So I am not aware where I need to set all configuration,
> I added configuration in:
> 1) config/config.php = add configure

What does that mean?

> 2) simplesamlphp/cert = add certificates
> 3) simplesamlphp/config/authsources.php = set only idp configuration url from old configuration like  'idp' => $idp,


Did you have a working configuration before? Or have you configured everything from scratch? 

Jaime Pérez Crespo

unread,
Nov 8, 2019, 4:45:23 AM11/8/19
to simplesa...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

On 8 Nov 2019, at 10:24, Dinesh Shrivastava <dinesh.shr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jaime,
> Actually it was SAML 1.11 previously for drupal 7 application.
> I had need to upgrade, So I replaced this with SAML 1.17.7
>
> and did the following changes.
> 1) added configuration in config/config.php, by seeing old config file
> 2) copy and paste all cert in new simplesamlphp/cert from old saml
> 3) and had set idp url in simplesamlphp/config/authsources.php
>
> Yes I am configuring from scratch in latest SAML

You should copy your pre-existing configuration. Even better, have that in a directory outside of SimpleSAMLphp’s directory, and make it use it by means of an environment variable, as described in the documentation. Then you don’t need to be manually editing the configuration, not even copying it from one directory to another. In general, you shouldn’t need to change the configuration.

Of course, that doesn’t mean it will just work, considering you were running a 6.5 years old version. That’s why you should do as Peter was recommending you, to go through the upgrade notes for all versions since, read them, and act accordingly.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages