Risk math

David Taylor

Mar 9, 2021, 4:53:31 PM3/9/21
to SimpleRisk
I'm in the early phase of evaluating SimpleRisk for our organisation and one thing that has popped up that I will need to clearly explain is that the risk calculation in teh matrix doesn't add up. If I select a basic Impact x Likelihood then for instance 5 x 1 should be five, however it shows as a percentage of that figure. I'm assuming this is due to the risk modifyers however this needs to be clearly understood, is there any documentation that lays this out?

Josh Sokol

Mar 9, 2021, 7:48:30 PM3/9/21
to SimpleRisk
Hey David,

What a coincidence!  I recently wrote a blog post on exactly this topic.  I'd encourage you to ake a look at the following and let me know if you have any questions.

NORMALIZING RISK SCORING ACROSS DIFFERENT METHODOLOGIES

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol
CEO of SimpleRisk
Message has been deleted

Josh Sokol

Nov 10, 2023, 11:47:30 AM11/10/23
to Eric Huffman, SimpleRisk
Eric,

Unfortunately, there is no good way to do both the normalizing of scoring and still allow you to do your "basic math".  If you used your basic math it would break the ability to use other scoring methodologies.  If this is a requirement, then unfortunately I don't think that SimpleRisk would be the right GRC for you, as this is a core feature of SimpleRisk.

Sincerely,

Josh Sokol
CEO of SimpleRisk

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 10:43 AM Eric Huffman <eric.h...@512i.com> wrote:
Hey know this is an old post, but had a question.  Just downloaded and installed on prem version.  Love it.  I do have a question about the above.  I read your blog and get what you are saying.  However, our company has our own internal risk matrix, which is the basic Likeihood x Impact model.  I have that selected under the Classic Risk formula, but when I input those items, it is still using a calc of  (Likeihood x Impact)  x (10 x 25) = 10......on the example, both are High x High, which should be 25.  How to I just use basic math here?  cheers!