.nessusrc creation question

nessessary

Feb 4, 2009, 2:22:24 PM2/4/09
to simpleness
"one good way to create the .nessusrc file; by running NessusClient,
define all parameters and plugins and then scan at least one device."

--just the ones that I need, or should I select all that are available?

sawall

Feb 4, 2009, 9:03:59 PM2/4/09
to simpl...@googlegroups.com
I would define the parameters and plugins as you want them.  You could definitely choose the all though if you wanted to.

sawall

nessessary

Feb 5, 2009, 3:46:26 PM2/5/09
to simpleness
Really, though, here's my problem is in regard to following the
instructions.

I'm running Nessus 3.x. (professional feed). It uses XML
configuration, rather than the .nessusrc config file mentioned in the
instructions. The Nessus client creates a .nessus-client directory
with Connections.xml, credentials, Policies.xml, and
SSL_Certificated.MD5.xml files inside the directory.

So I have therefore used the NST distro from a live CD to run Nessus
and Nessus-Client version 2.x, which creates the .nessusrc file for
me, as explained in the directions. For illustration, I opened the
client and selected the plug-ins available to me to make a Windows-
based .nessusrc.ms file, and then repeated the scan on the same host
against the same target using a scan profile more in line with UNIX
plug-ins to provide myself with a .nessusrc.ux, as instructed to do in
the installation web page. I used my Webmail account to email the
files to myself.

Are the .nessusrc files created in Nessus 2.x compatible with Nessus
3.x? Will the installation configuration work if I apply the old
Nessusrc files (and their format) to the installation configuration?
If not, how can I follow the instructions correctly, while using the
new XML format and directory structure? What / how should I install
Simpleness if I have to use the XML files?

On Feb 4, 9:03 pm, sawall <saw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would define the parameters and plugins as you want them.  You could
> definitely choose the all though if you wanted to.
>
> sawall

sawall

Feb 7, 2009, 10:13:47 AM2/7/09
to simpl...@googlegroups.com
necessary -

this is a very good question indeed.  i don't see it as being a problem using the XML files for running nessus.  you should just have to modify the variables pointing to the "rc" files.  now, using the custom rc files might require some code changes so that it knows what do to.  i need to investigate, but not sure when i have time just yet.  I'm booked fairly solid until mid-April.

have you tried using the XML files and setting the vars.php to use them?  does the command line structure vary significantly on v3?

kartik - have you used simpleness with nessus v3 yet?  i have not....

sawall

Kartikeya Puri

Feb 7, 2009, 12:28:02 PM2/7/09
to simpl...@googlegroups.com
Not yet Chris... I will try and post my results... but i will need till first week of march... If I can do it over the weekend by then i will post the results earlier...

Regards,
Kartik