Tested with MariaDB 10.3

Patrick Pliessnig

Oct 7, 2021, 8:37:43 AM10/7/21
to Simple Groupware
Hello

I tested SGS with MariaDB 10.3 on Ubuntu 20.04

Works great. Caveat, the DB-Version shown in SGS is myql 555. This is probably due to the PHP DB-driver used (mysqli).

v.lo...@ifbcon.de

Jul 14, 2023, 11:52:03 AM7/14/23
to Simple Groupware
Hey,

just to let you know:

We finally managed to get Ubuntu 20.04 LTS running with PHP 7.4 , MariaDB 10.3 and Apache in a bare-metal test environment.
And it even runs on a ZFS file system, regardless of whether you need it or not.

 We followed Patrick's  instructions and used the install script from https://simplegroupware-lab.github.io/0.745p ->  Fresh installation

There were a number of error messages regarding Postgre and other databases, but nevertheless: Basically everything works,

 **** THANKS VERY MUCH!!! for your great work

In the course of this year we will move our installation. How exactly, we haven't decided yet.
At the same time we tested Almalinux, Rockylinux (each 8.x), FreeBSD and Debian as possible candidates, should also work, but maybe UBUNTU is easier to install and adapt.
Should we post my experiences and the exact parameters here on google groups so that more people can participate?

As a reminder: We have all administrative processes including business e-mail traffic with external imap servers on Simple, just behind a VPN.

Small stories on the side:
At the beginning of this year, we were then forced by the state to log the working hours and breaks of all employees. The module for this was created quickly and has been running ever since.

Then we had the case that an excavator had destroyed the DSL lines to our office building and we (and other companies) only got internet via LTE for almost 2 months. During this time we could not access our server (on premise) from the outside via the VPN and this was a very interesting and painful experience: That's when we really noticed how many small processes and advantages we had become accustomed to by using a  one stop groupware.

And then our new, old question: Is there anything new on the groupware market?

According to our latest research, there is still nothing really exciting, since many providers concentrated mainly on mapping aspects of groupware, specify fixed modules and are very busy, especially outlook and exchange integration, or to offer UCC variants as the hype (especially the integration of chats and video conferences since Corona).

We still are looking at openxava and perhaps Apache Isis, or REI3, to name a few candidates.

Cheers, Volker

Patrick Pliessnig

Jul 18, 2023, 4:15:56 AM7/18/23
to Simple Groupware
Hi Volker

Thx for your feedback.

The easiest way to install is with a LAMP Package on any linux distro where it is available. Other easy ways are panels like plesk, cpanel, webmin, etc

PHP 8.x would be another major effort. it's an open question whether it will be done or not as sgs needs a full fledged release cycle to give it a future.

You did a great research with openxava, apache isis (now coming as apache causeway) and rei3. I would like to add to the list nuclos.de and phpmaker.dev (not open source). both being great solutions to create applications without coding (but with the possibility to add custom code for bespoke business rules). openxava and rei3 are both low code solutions while apache causeway is absolutely great investment for limitless business complexity in the long run. as an apache framework based on other giant solutions it's survivability is unmatched. Thx for that.

Cheers Patrick