Release Candidate SGS 0.745p with PHP 7.4

Patrick Pliessnig

Aug 18, 2021, 2:49:34 AM8/18/21
to Simple Groupware
Hello

I have setup a patched SGS-Package with installer [1]. It is not a proper new release, just a patch.

I have tested it with PHP 7.4.16 and MySQL 5.73 and Apache. It is open for test by others. It requires PHP 7.4, other versions of PHP are not supported. For example Ubuntu 20.04 has PHP 7.4 (with: apt install php).

It should work for a fresh install. I didn't adapt upgrading an existing installation yet. Hence, upgrading is not recommended for now.

Instructions:
1. Download tar or zip archive into the directory where you want to install it.
2. Unpack the archive
3. execute the script install.php with your browser and follow the instructions as usual.

NB: CMS is not working, please disable it. I does not compress the output by default.

Patrick Pliessnig

Aug 20, 2021, 11:27:02 AM8/20/21
to Simple Groupware
Hello

There is now an update-script available on [1] to update an existing installation of SGS 0.745 from PHP 5.3 to PHP 7.4.

Don't forget to make a backup of the entire installation directory. Things could go wrong. In this case simply restore the backup, analyse and start over again.

I tested on Ubuntu 16.04 with parallel installation of PHP 7.4 and PHP 5.3.29. In case you need to change OS in between the update, additional steps might be necessary. Report your experience.

1. Download the script and copy it in sgs/bin
2. login to SGS, clear the caches and run the script
3. download an archive and unpack it to sgs/simple_cache/update_to_php74
4. click continue to proceed with the installation.
5. at this point SGS stops working with PHP 5.3, so switch to PHP 7.4
6. click continue or start using SGS normally.
7. enjoy