Pure HTML5 (UML) Diagramming Solution as an alternative to GraphViz

Steve BOURNE

Jul 19, 2016, 6:16:12 PM7/19/16
to Simple Groupware
Hi the group,

using SGS since a long time now for my professionnal job, and in the need to do diagrams as well (as a technician and technician trainer, diagrams are always required on a daily basis) I was stucked by having to rely on GraphViz.

Yes GraphViz is and have always been a good soft, but it is not really portable. And I needed a portable diagramming soft, idealy a pure HTML/JS one

I have digged on the net, and I've found a pure HTML5 UML diagramming lib, bundled with (a beta but quite useable) editor. Yes so far this beta editor (for library demonstration as the primary objective) is not very polished and lacks some features, like multiple selection, copy/paste, and some ergonomical refinements. But We use it everyday and it is XML based, so it is possible to modify with copy/pasting XML portions via export/import (the hard way ;-))

This soft is "JsUML2" and is GPLed (GPL v3), and comes from University of Cordoba, Spain.
I'm in contact with the dev team (who don't work full time on the project since they are in charge of lots of others from a research point of view), but my question about the possibility to work hand by hand with Simple Groupware Suite dev team was left unanswered.

So far, till a true integration of JsUML2 in SGS (why not as a module) arrive, I use it on my selfmade professionnal "electronic suitcase" with XAMPPLite on USB Stick (which works on Windows workstation, and on UNIX/Linux/NBSD workstation tahnks to Wine), alongside of SGS ; I launch JsUML2 editor via click on a SGS bookmark asset ;-)

To conclude, what about really integrating JsUML2 into SGS as a viable alternative to GraphViz ? Would someone other than me be interested in this idea ?

Regards.

Links :
http://www.uco.es/users/in1rosaj/tools/jsUML2/editor/index.html
https://code.google.com/archive/p/jsuml2/