3rdparty

Patrick Pliessnig

Dec 8, 2014, 3:02:10 AM12/8/14
to simple-g...@googlegroups.com
I added on github a folder for 3rdparty additions.
You can share your own customizations.

anything from simple code snippets to modules to full-fledged extensions is welcome

please add a readme containing:
-------------------------------
1. how to install
2. how to use
3. ownership

ownership means:
you reply to questions, you maintain, you improve.
a 3rdparty addition without ownership is basically not managed

Patrick Pliessnig

Dec 9, 2014, 11:22:36 AM12/9/14
to simple-g...@googlegroups.com

Steve BOURNE

Apr 16, 2016, 3:11:03 PM4/16/16
to Simple Groupware
Hi Patrick,

I've just discovered your group here.
I'm using SimpleGroupware since a long time now cause it's a very good product (before I was using MoreGroupware, this funny fortune), but I thought SGS was dead since Thomas had left it current 2012-2013 (perharps I am wrong, and Thomas is still on the project).
Anyway are u a SGS dev ? How many devs are u ? Can I contribute by forwarding u list of bugs and ideas ; is there another place, a more adequate one, for this (is https://sourceforge.net/p/simplgroup/support-requests alive) ?
Though, the ticketting way would be anoying for me as, during the time I'm using SGS, I've accumulated lots of bugs notices and features/ameliorations ideas

I want to do my possible (as for u I imagine, time is a rare resource) to contribute to the life of SGS. Such a great software must not die :-)

Also, where can I find the docs since on the original website, these links are giving me void pages (I have some old 0.5x manuals in PDF, but I imagine things have changed a lot since).
I've since viewed the https://sourceforge.net/p/simplgroup/support-requests/392/ ticket which echoed my feelings as I found your group by "googling" ...

http://www.simple-groupware.de/cms/Installation (the intall procedure has perharps not changed)
http://www.simple-groupware.de/cms/Administration
http://www.simple-groupware.de/cms/Spreadsheet/Documentation

Also, I can't find docs for creating own custom modules (not just XML shemas for tables, views, tabs and fields, but for complet custom modules with our own PHP code) ...

Thanks a lot by advance

Regards.

Patrick Pliessnig

Apr 18, 2016, 7:03:36 AM4/18/16
to Simple Groupware
Hi Steve

Welcome to the sgs group.

Unfortunately I need to say that Thomas had left without notice. Last message was in 2013. There is currently no dev team.
For the moment we are just maintaining the current version 0.745 to keep sgs running and useful. For this I created a fork on github to secure any useful information:

There, I maintain a patched version 0.745p with a conservative patching policy. I include patches if they pass test by a third person to secure the quality of the code.

I help also with patching and solving problems if it is feasable for me. This also holds for every active member of the forum. New ideas are best contributed by the extension mechanism.

This forum here is the only place I know still to be active. Obviously there is a need for further development and also ongoing maintenance to keep sgs in pace with php and some contributed libraries. But for the moment, the users will tell, when they run into a problem and we simply try to solve it.

You will find the whole documentation in the documentation folder under the link above in form of pdf files.

There is also a archive of the official website but you can still use the official website. There is an error somewhere in the links, but starting from this link here you should be able to reach any part of the documentation as far as I tested, including how to develop custom modules:

Don't hesitate to share your contributions and we check if we can push forward on a case by case basis. A new dev team would obviously be a great benefit as sgsml allows also to non-developers to create their own customization fearly easy.

Cheers
Patrick

Steve BOURNE

Apr 30, 2016, 9:28:45 PM4/30/16
to Simple Groupware
Hi Patrick,

yes it is a shame Thomas left like this, giving us a great software, and then ... void ... sic !

I'm currently trying to live with some bugs (as how to validate a vote within the survey module ... can't see any button to post the vote ... in fact I really need a quizz module :-)), or to dive into functionnalities (like how to upload lots of images into a gallery module enabled folder ... tried to copy/paste from personnal import folder, without any success).

I'm in the process to dive into sgsML, as I foresee the great potential of it, without doing risky manual changes directly into JS, PHP, HTML, and SQL DB (I know how to do in fact as I program too, but sgsML would cut dramatically the learning curve - without the need to analyse the current PHP code and the DB schema)

I think you're right with the idea of permitting the extension/evolution of SGS through extensions/sgsML : some advanced users wouldn't need to learn web development basis but could doing some functionnality evolutions as a user is really one of the important jewel for the product evolution (the other jewel ... the devs ;-)).
And this is the great strength of SGS over other software : the DIY concept and moreover the design and extension language bunddled with it ... very magnific idea Thomas !

Thanks Patrick,
happy to have seen this google group (even if I don't really like Google, and was not pleased to have to register a Google account :-D)

Mmm ... by the way, why not ask freenode sysops to create/register an official #simplegroupware channel ? Would be pleased to meet everybody still involved with SGS here :-). I've seen this channel, but when I asked the sysops, they answered it wasn't registered (I asked confirmation since I was surprised to being enrolled automagically as the channel op when I joined #simplegroupware) ...
What do you think about this idea ?

Hear u soon Patrick, and again thanks to get SGS alive with all this google group members ...

Steve

Patrick Pliessnig

May 3, 2016, 2:37:30 PM5/3/16
to Simple Groupware
Hi Steve

I am not sure if what you describe are bugs of SGS. Please see my comments below. Maybe they help you.

Am Sonntag, 1. Mai 2016 04:28:45 UTC+3 schrieb Steve BOURNE:

I'm currently trying to live with some bugs (as how to validate a vote within the survey module ... can't see any button to post the vote ... in fact I really need a quizz module :-)),

One survey is equivalent to one folder. if you add at least 2 questions in a survey folder, there should be a vote button at the bottom of the page. clicking on the vote button records the survey answers in the database on a per user basis. did you try this configuration? at least on my test-installation it works fine. it works like a quizz module. so chances are that it is useful for you out of the box. try it out.

or to dive into functionnalities (like how to upload lots of images into a gallery module enabled folder ... tried to copy/paste from personnal import folder, without any success).

A gallery folder and an import folder have different schemas attached. SGS doesn't know normaly out of the box how to map the fields of one folder to the fields of another folder if the schemas are different. So copy/paste won't work. You need to define the mappings between the schemas first, then it will work. Search for "Copy/paste schema mappings" in the manual for instructions.

I'm in the process to dive into sgsML, as I foresee the great potential of it, without doing risky manual changes directly into JS, PHP, HTML, and SQL DB (I know how to do in fact as I program too, but sgsML would cut dramatically the learning curve - without the need to analyse the current PHP code and the DB schema)

You can put JS code in an sgsML-Module to enhance client-side functionality without risk.
You can put PHP code in "<sgs-dir>/custom" sub-folders without risk.
You can link sgsML elements with custom PHP code without risk.
You can put Smarty templates in the "<sgs-dir>/custom/templates" folder without risk to customize HTML-Pages

In fact all structures in <sgs-dir>/bin can be overriden in a persistent way in the <sgs-dir>/custom folder. SGS searches first in the ./custom folder and then in the ./bin folder for code to execute.

You can use the soap server functionality to manage data in SGS without risk.

You can try to tweak my csg-framework for PHP scripting. It hooks into the SGS-Framework with one single line of PHP code. It is a wrapper around the standard functions made for scripting. The scripts can then be executed by passing parameters in the URL (like any other standard script in SGS). There should be no need to use SQL directly.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/simple-groupware/ur65R61xtgM

I think you're right with the idea of permitting the extension/evolution of SGS through extensions/sgsML : some advanced users wouldn't need to learn web development basis but could doing some functionnality evolutions as a user is really one of the important jewel for the product evolution (the other jewel ... the devs ;-)).
And this is the great strength of SGS over other software : the DIY concept and moreover the design and extension language bunddled with it ... very magnific idea Thomas !

Thanks Patrick,
happy to have seen this google group (even if I don't really like Google, and was not pleased to have to register a Google account :-D)
I am sorry for that. :-D)

Mmm ... by the way, why not ask freenode sysops to create/register an official #simplegroupware channel ? Would be pleased to meet everybody still involved with SGS here :-). I've seen this channel, but when I asked the sysops, they answered it wasn't registered (I asked confirmation since I was surprised to being enrolled automagically as the channel op when I joined #simplegroupware) ...

What do you think about this idea ?

In 2010 somebody tried to get on freenode.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/simple-groupware/i-rekgfnDwM

I don't know freenode. So I have no opinion. Maybe you should explain to the group members what the benefits are to moving to freenode instead of staying with google groups and then make a survey. :-)

Hear u soon Patrick, and again thanks to get SGS alive with all this google group members ...

Than you too

Patrick