managed to run SGS with the latest version of PHP (7.4).

v.lo...@ifbcon.de

Dec 16, 2020, 12:17:13 PM12/16/20
to Simple Groupware

Hi Patrcik, hi Massimo,
hi others ...

just wanted to let you know I am still alive - we had some hard times here with the pandemic in Germany (co-workers/employess infected , projects cancelled and postponde etc.) so I just wanted to post some sign of life.

And we are still running SGS on old software as our one stop admin for everything tool.

As we are thinking of having a new server we would also like to change the software and possibly run PHP7.4 on  a new, actual Debian distro and Apache, SQL etc.
We could set this up as an independent test-environment in a first step and see how it works and see what issues are still in it to be solved.

Patrick, you wrote about you  managed to run SGS with the latest version of PHP (7.4).

We don't care about the CMS part or something that maybe looking ugly (llooks ugly anyway), but just to see you can get it back on track somehow.

So how could we do that? I suspect the installer will not work for that purpose and we have to do some manual tweaks to get it up and running, right?

We would appreciate some general advice on what has to be done so we could set something up and report. The hardware is already there and we could do an installation, once we know how to do it.

Okay, so for now just wishing the best for you and everyone who may stumble in here.

Stay safe and healthy, cheers,

Volker

Patrick Pliessnig

Dec 17, 2020, 8:18:30 AM12/17/20
to Simple Groupware
Hello Volker

It's good to know you're back!

It's true, in theses times - if someone goes off the screen - some weired ideas might shake the brains.

There is a good chance that the installer will work with some modifications. After all it does nothing more than 1) unzip, 2) set config and 3) mix in translations. But we should also take away references to old repositories like sourceforge (or build new ones). I did some work on it but it is not finished.

Anyway, if you want to give it a try, we can move forward.

I suggest we setup a vps with debian/lamp (or ubuntu/lamp) with common access, do the necessary work and once it works we report back. From there you could deploy it to test and then to production.

What do you think about that plan?
Patrick