Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

David Cooke

ongelezen,
1 jun 2017, 09:40:2901-06-2017
aan SIMP Users
I was attempting to install the new 6_X version of SIMP on a freshly installed RedHat EL 7.3 system.
I used the following pages as references to get started:

https://packagecloud.io/simp-project/6_X#readme-scrollto
https://packagecloud.io/simp-project/6_X_Dependencies

Yum commands then failed with the following:
https://packagecloud.io/simp-project/6_X/el/7Server/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] HTTPS Error 404 - Not Found
Trying other mirror.
<blah, blah, blah.....>

After reading through other SIMP documentation I noticed that the repo baseurl always seemed to have a 5, 6, or 7 in that part of the path.  The .repo files on the above referenced web pages define baseurl like:
baseurl=https://packagecloud.io/simp-project/6_X/el/$releasever/$basearch

So, for some installs of RedHat EL 7, $releasever can be "7Server" instead of just "7".  Packagecloud does not have "7Server" repos so yum fails.

My fix for now was to edit the .repo files and change "$releasever" to "7".

Trevor Vaughan

ongelezen,
1 jun 2017, 10:27:2301-06-2017
aan David Cooke, SIMP Users
Hi David,

Thanks for letting us know about this!

I'd actually like to ask your opinion on a solution to this.

We can either:

A) Change the README to note the difference between CentOS and RHEL
B) Make a copy of the entire repo under 6Server and 7Server (this is really not ideal due to the way PackageCloud works)
C) Provide an installer RPM on the SIMP website that will allow you to have the correct repo for your distribution

What would you prefer?

Thanks,

Trevor

Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc

David M. Cooke

ongelezen,
1 jun 2017, 10:48:4401-06-2017
aan Trevor Vaughan, SIMP Users
I don't really like A.  Too many READMEs scattered about already...
B is a nice solution from the user's perspective but I already suspected it could be problematic for the maintainers.

C is a very good solution.  Replace the text .repo files on the web pages with links to an RPM installer that detects the $releasever and creates the .repo file correctly. People are already familiar with this from other repositories.

Trevor Vaughan

ongelezen,
1 jun 2017, 10:51:5801-06-2017
aan David M. Cooke, SIMP Users
Sounds good. I'll get that on the Backlog.

Thanks for the quick response!

Trevor

David M. Cooke

ongelezen,
6 jun 2017, 10:22:3606-06-2017
aan Trevor Vaughan, SIMP Users
Hmmmm...  The problem resurfaces after bootstrap, reboot, puppet agent -t.

Puppet rewrites the repo files and yum again fails due to $releasever being "7Server".  This also causes failures in puppet runs.  This time the culprit is in production/modules/simp/manifests/yum/repo/(internet_simp_server.pp,internet_simp_dependencies.pp).   I'm not sure where they are getting $releasever from so I'm not sure how to override it.  I'll probably edit those classes and hard code a temporary solution.

Also, this is starting to feel like a game of "whack-a-mole".  I'm liking solution C less.  Solution B is looking better.

Nick Miller

ongelezen,
6 jun 2017, 11:36:5006-06-2017
aan David M. Cooke, Trevor Vaughan, SIMP Users
For now, you could disable the `simp::yum::repo::internet_simp_dependencies` and `simp::yum::repo::internet_simp_server` classes by adding them to the `class_exclusions` array in default.yaml and adding the repo manually in another profile class.

I have filed a bug to skip the $releasever macro and use facts to replace it (https://simp-project.atlassian.net/browse/SIMP-3286).

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/simp-users/f04b9ed3-95f4-43ec-8f9e-4af9f8da91ae%40googlegroups.com.

Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc

Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc

OnyxPoint-logo-symbol-primary.png

Nicholas Miller
Consultant | Onyx Point, Inc.

7050 Hi Tech Drive, Suite 102

Hanover, MD. 21076
e: nick....@onyxpoint.com
w: 443-655-3675

copmany.pngcareers.pngproduct.pngmeetups.pngblog.png

Trevor Vaughan

ongelezen,
16 jun 2017, 16:44:1316-06-2017
aan David M. Cooke, SIMP Users
Hi David,

This looks like it's going to be our internal solution for fixing the SIMP repos. This should put C back on the table easily.

https://github.com/simp/pupmod-simp-simp/pull/108/files

Thanks,

Trevor

Allen beantwoorden