Mixed active content blocked in timeline-api.js

Jonathan Richards

May 24, 2018, 9:52:58 AM5/24/18
to SIMILE Widgets
I have a timeline at https://orlopdeck.net/BRP/Battle_of_the_River_Plate_timeline.html.  My hosting provider has recently implemented HTTPS, and now some browsers (Firefox; Waterfox) will not display the timeline, see web console output below:

Blocked loading mixed active content "http://api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js"[Learn More]  timeline-api.js:270:16

I guess that timeline-api.js is calling simile-ajax-api.js over http rather than https.  Before I go any deeper, has anyone else seen this problem, or have an insight into the solution?  Is there an active maintainer for the code on GitHub now that the Google Code repository has gone?

Many thanks

Jonathan

PS Chrome is happy, apparently, I suppose it's just more relaxed!

Tom Woodward

May 24, 2018, 5:09:22 PM5/24/18
to SIMILE Widgets
If you set that URL to be https://api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js

Things should work fine.

Tom

Jonathan Richards

Sep 24, 2018, 8:06:24 AM9/24/18
to SIMILE Widgets
Sorry about the long hiatus.
>set that URL to be https:...
That would be nice... but the only script source in my html is
https://api.simile-widgets.org/timeline/2.3.1/timeline-api.js
The call to simile-ajax-api.js is made from inside timeline-api.js, and is explicitly http://...  The web console output from Chrome is much more explicit:

timeline-api.js:270 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.orlopdeck.net/BRP/Battle_of_the_River_Plate_timeline.html' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure script 'http://api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js'. This request has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

I've tried to download the code from GitHub (https://github.com/simile-widgets/simile-common and https://github.com/simile-widgets/timeline) but there no longer seems to be anything like the minimal distribution bundle, and I'm lost in a maze of twisty passages, all different, featuring ant and RequireJS and suchlike.  Is there a guide anywhere which would walk me through the steps of how to configure my web host to support Timeline locally?  I don't care about the javascript being bleeding edge, my timelines are quite simple, really!

Luis Miguel Morillas

Sep 25, 2018, 2:20:47 AM9/25/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
By default timeline uses http for loading simile-ajax-api.js, but you
can configure timeline to use https:
<script type="text/javascript">
var Timeline_ajax_url="https://api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js";
</script>
See this copy of your project over https:
https://lmorillas.github.io/visualizations/brp/Battle_of_the_River_Plate_timeline.html

Or maybe you can use Exhibit3 better.

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)
El lun., 24 sept. 2018 a las 14:06, Jonathan Richards
(<jnori...@gmail.com>) escribió:

Jonathan Richards

Sep 26, 2018, 6:38:43 PM9/26/18
to SIMILE Widgets
Luis Miguel - thank you so much, that's an excellent solution, that I've been able to put into my timelines swiftly and easily.  I haven't looked hard at Exhibit, but may do so when I have the time.
Thanks again, and kind regards
Jonathan