Timeline question on building Timeline from Github

Jack Park

Dec 19, 2020, 11:43:08 PM12/19/20
to SIMILE Widgets

Has anyone recently built Timeline from the github repo?
I am finding missing artifacts, which provokes build failures.

Thanks
Jack

Luis Miguel Morillas

Dec 20, 2020, 3:36:53 AM12/20/20
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean? Do you want to build a new release from gh repo? [1] or do you want to use exhibit timeline in github pages?

Jack Park

Dec 20, 2020, 11:41:49 AM12/20/20
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Hola Luis,

Thanks for asking.

My intention is to build a server application which has the capability to display massive timelines.

I am left with this question, given that the documentation pages don't exist for the recent version, only the previous version: what, really, is the point of building in the first place?
Perhaps it's the case that I don't need to build it, even though the codebase includes a build.xml (perhaps left over from the prior versions).

Thanks
Jack

David Karger

Dec 20, 2020, 12:41:16 PM12/20/20
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

Simile Timeline is 13 years old and has never been modernized.  If nothing better has been created in the past 13 years, that's a sad indication of the state of modern software.   The primary reason for the continued existence of Simile Timeline is its use as a component in Simile Exhibit.  Simile Exhibit *has* had a bit of maintenance and modernization.  But it is still dependent on Timeline, and indeed timeline is one of the main pieces of cruft holding Exhibit back from further modernization.   For example, Exhibit has been detached from dependence on the (ancient) Simile Ajax library you dug up, but Timeline still depends on it.  So when Exhibit loads Timeline it has to do some wacky stuff to interface with Simile Ajax.

Jack Park

Dec 20, 2020, 12:55:44 PM12/20/20
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
David,

Thanks for that context.

Ii was familiar with the entire Simile projects when it was first announced at MIT; even built some stuff with it - "way back when".
Today, I'd like to see it work with JSON, but maybe that's just me.

I'm wondering if there exists enough energy to begin modernizing Timeline. My own use case is that of a timeline browser, the events on which are topics in a crowd-curated topic map. I'd like to push the technology.

-Jack

David Karger

Dec 20, 2020, 1:43:39 PM12/20/20
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

On 12/20/2020 12:55 PM, Jack Park wrote:
David,

Thanks for that context.

Ii was familiar with the entire Simile projects when it was first announced at MIT; even built some stuff with it - "way back when".
Today, I'd like to see it work with JSON, but maybe that's just me.

I'm wondering if there exists enough energy to begin modernizing Timeline. My own use case is that of a timeline browser, the events on which are topics in a crowd-curated topic map. I'd like to push the technology.

depends what energy means.  enthusiasm certainly.   money no.

My research group has continued to work on this path of "easy to author data interactions."   Our current focus is http://mavo.io/ , which is in many ways *much* more powerful than exhibit---it provides data *editing* as well as data *visualization*---and is beautifully consistent with modern web technologies.    It would be utterly natural, and useful, to create a timeline web component and integrate it with Mavo.   I have a very clear picture of the right architecture in my head.  And the end result would be a timeline you could edit in place.   However, that wouldn't be *research*, so it's not something my students can spend time on.

Jack Park

Dec 20, 2020, 11:11:55 PM12/20/20
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
I dropped the code into a java servlet, and brought up the dinosaur example; other than the fact that the icons it references no longer exist, the code does run. I am noticing that the ajax calls are not working; not yet sure why that is. The html needs character encoding declared; browsers have moved on in the years since that code was last modified.

Drew

Mar 15, 2021, 1:00:42 PM3/15/21
to SIMILE Widgets
Hi David,

Per you comment "If nothing better has been created in the past 13 years...", are you aware of any tool(s) that could be used to re-build the President's Simile Exhibit that would be modern? More modern? All of the features in that demo - map, timeline, facets, search, tables - via modern technologies seem elusive.

Thanks
Drew

Jodi Schneider

Mar 15, 2021, 8:25:02 PM3/15/21
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Timeline JS seems useful:
Here's an example:

However, if the desideratum is to separate the data layer from the visualization layer I don't see that Timeline JS does that.

-Jodi

David Karger

Mar 15, 2021, 8:55:26 PM3/15/21
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

Sadly, I am not aware of any modern tool that does what exhibit does.  Obviously, I have a very clear sense of how to build one, if we could find the resources to do so.  We are working on a new research project, http://mavo.io/ , that does a lot of amazing things but does not yet supersede exhibit.  It might in a few years.

Drew

Mar 25, 2021, 9:50:46 AM3/25/21
to SIMILE Widgets
D3 seems capable, yes? Although I haven't found a timeline made with it yet that fairly emulates Simile's.