How to make the json data accesible to search bots?

Luis Miguel Morillas

Oct 25, 2018, 4:08:53 AM10/25/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, folks,

What's the best way to put the data in the json files accessible to
internet search bots? If not, they are not accessible when people
search data in google for example.

Best,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)

David Karger

Oct 28, 2018, 4:44:21 PM10/28/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
this is a chronic challenge. Google claims that they run javascript
while indexing pages, but don't explain *which* javascript they run or
how.
one option you can consider is to put your data in the page instead of
using a script link. See e.g.
http://people.csail.mit.edu/karger/papers.html
It's something of a nuisance to manage, but it does get indexed (I've
tested).

jjon

Oct 28, 2018, 8:19:48 PM10/28/18
to SIMILE Widgets
David, thanks. I'd love to read your thoughts on this. Which of the 229 papers listed in this bibliography addresses this issue?

Jon

David Karger

Oct 28, 2018, 8:21:54 PM10/28/18
to SIMILE Widgets
In case this is not humor :) the page is just an example of the
technique. You can do the same yourself on any page: just make your
exhibit-data link point to an anchor inside the same page, as you can
see in the head of this page.

Oct 29, 2018, 5:24:28 PM10/29/18
to SIMILE Widgets
Doh! (red-faced, slaps forehead),

No, not humor, just me being dense. Thanks for your patient clarification.
Yes, that's simple and effective (well, google seems to know about it).
A "nuisance to manage," because you have to remember to write it out to your .html file?

thx again,
Jon