Google API Key Issue with Exhibit Maps

sla...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 2:46:19 PM8/31/18
to SIMILE Widgets
We recently starting having problems with maps generated using Exhibit.

The maps have a pop-up message stating "This page can't load Google Maps correctly.".  The maps are greyed out with "For development purposes only" repeated across the map.  The Console shows a "NoApiKeys" JavaScript error.

Based on this, it looks like an issue with now needing an API key from Google.

Has anyone else run into this?

I know how to get an API key from Google, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into an Exhibit map.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Zyzniewski

Aug 31, 2018, 2:58:55 PM8/31/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Yes,  On another site.  Google is monetizing maps now.   If you host on their cloud its free.

They are giving others (non hosted) $200.00 a month credit, but I'm not holding my breath that it wont go away in a few years.
I'm really not happy with their decision.  We are looking to move from their dynamic maps api to the static maps api because it has more "free" downloads.

Here is the pricing:

-Joe

Joe Zyzniewski

Aug 31, 2018, 3:01:13 PM8/31/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

sla...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 3:13:12 PM8/31/18
to SIMILE Widgets
I'm not sure what you meant by "on another site".  I was aware that they are now charging for getting this (getting an API key, etc), but am not sure how to make use of it within Exhibit.  Any insight you could provide?

Luis Miguel Morillas

Aug 31, 2018, 3:26:08 PM8/31/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Use data-ex-apikey with the map-extension.js link <link
rel="exhibit-extension"
href="//api.simile-widgets.org/exhibit/HEAD/extensions/map/map-extension.js"
data-ex-apikey="XXXXXXX" />
See an example at
http://www.simile-widgets.org/exhibit3/examples/other-versions/HEAD/billionaires/billionaires.html

Saludos,

-- luismiguel (@lmorillas)
El vie., 31 ago. 2018 a las 21:13, <sla...@gmail.com> escribió:

> I'm not sure what you meant by "on another site". I was aware that they are now charging for getting this (getting an API key, etc), but am not sure how to make use of it within Exhibit. Any insight you could provide?

Joe Zyzniewski

Aug 31, 2018, 3:27:56 PM8/31/18
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry if I was not clear.  I am using google maps on a DotNetNuke site, not one with any of the Simile-Widgets.  I am having to re-write the module on my DNN site to use one of the other API's.  The documentation is here:

Honestly, since I don't use exhibit any more, I am not sure where the API key resides in the code.

Hopefully someone can chime in here with the key location.

sla...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2018, 3:54:24 PM8/31/18
to SIMILE Widgets
Thanks Luis!  Use of data-ex-apikey with our key fixed the problem.

Steve

dhinostroza

Sep 1, 2018, 10:49:43 AM9/1/18
to SIMILE Widgets