no longer working

David Van Fleet

Dec 22, 2022, 7:06:19 PM12/22/22
to SIMILE Widgets
I had this working fine but awhile back someone noted that it was no longer working
I need help!!!
https://www.public.asu.edu/~vanfleet/history/mgt_timeline.htm

Jack Park

Dec 22, 2022, 7:08:06 PM12/22/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
in a browser, open the "inspect" view and look at the console.
There you will see an error message.
Hope that helps

Happy holidays
Jack

David Van Fleet

Dec 23, 2022, 12:39:51 PM12/23/22
to SIMILE Widgets
the message is
DevTools failed to load source map: Could not load content for chrome-extension://gpaiobkfhnonedkhhfjpmhdalgeoebfa/editor/config.js.map: System error: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT

Jack Park

Dec 23, 2022, 12:43:55 PM12/23/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
I saw a different one;
Uncaught Reference: Timeline is not defined

David Van Fleet

Dec 23, 2022, 3:58:16 PM12/23/22
to SIMILE Widgets
is simile-widgets.org not working?

David Karger

Dec 23, 2022, 4:05:28 PM12/23/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

it looks like a web server problem; i've contacted admins but they might be slow to respond over christmas

Jack Park

Dec 23, 2022, 4:10:15 PM12/23/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Define "working"...

This is the Timeline widget at that site

Interesting observation:

Paint your url into Firefox, Brave, and Safari and you get different errors.
One of which is failure to load the favicon
One of which is that Timeline is not defined.

Study the instructions at the linked simile_api file and you see that there is a need to define access to timeline.js
which, BTW, is not visible on the source of the timeline on simile-widgets.org
That timeline is working in firefox.
It's the only timeline demo which works.
Other ones seem to fail with the same error.

No real clue what's going on. I see David Karger is suggesting it's a server error.

David Van Fleet

Dec 23, 2022, 5:35:22 PM12/23/22
to SIMILE Widgets
I appreciate all the help I can get. I'm 82 and somewhat of a novice at this but I did have it working beautifully a year or so back

Jack Park

Dec 23, 2022, 5:43:13 PM12/23/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
I'm 78 and javascript is not really in my wheelhouse, but the Timeline Widget is, for me, a very important widget.
I'm interested in scaling it up to the level needed for a "biography of the entire planet".

It deeply saddens me that the simile project seems to have fallen of the world's radar.

David Van Fleet

Dec 23, 2022, 5:44:14 PM12/23/22
to SIMILE Widgets
so, maybe its best if I wait till after the holidays to get back to this

Jack Park

Dec 23, 2022, 5:45:37 PM12/23/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

David Van Fleet

Dec 23, 2022, 6:02:51 PM12/23/22
to SIMILE Widgets
a couple of old-timers trying to get the Widget to work -- in my case, the chronology only went to 2000 so, I want the stuff to work so that I can bring it up to date.

Jack Park

Dec 23, 2022, 6:06:20 PM12/23/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

Paul Hutchinson

Dec 25, 2022, 1:16:58 PM12/25/22
to SIMILE Widgets
It looks to me like it may be a problem from mixing secure and insecure sources at the secure site: https://www.public.asu.edu/~vanfleet/history/mgt_timeline.htm

I'd try changing:
<script src="http://api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

to:
<script src="https://api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
(the only difference is the one "s" added to the end of "http".

Happy Holidays,
Paul Hutch

Jack Park

Dec 25, 2022, 2:17:58 PM12/25/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Seems reasonable.
At http://simile-widget.org/ the timeline page reads
<script src="api/timeline-api.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
because it is on the same server, and not https. Dropping the code in a different server could easily provoke such an error.

David Van Fleet

Dec 26, 2022, 12:10:26 PM12/26/22
to SIMILE Widgets
change to https  error now says "Uncaught ReferenceError: Timeline is not defined"

David Karger

Dec 26, 2022, 12:36:20 PM12/26/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

a better approach here is not to specify.  Use

<script src="//api.simile-widgets.org/ajax/2.2.1/simile-ajax-api.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

that way it will always pick up the proper prefix from the page that contains it.

David Karger

Dec 26, 2022, 12:39:25 PM12/26/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

On 12/23/2022 5:42 PM, Jack Park wrote:
I'm 78 and javascript is not really in my wheelhouse, but the Timeline Widget is, for me, a very important widget.
I'm interested in scaling it up to the level needed for a "biography of the entire planet".

It deeply saddens me that the simile project seems to have fallen of the world's radar.

I'd love to carry it forward but we don't have funding for it

Jack Park

Dec 26, 2022, 12:44:49 PM12/26/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
which is the same error I got.
My own guess is that timeline.js is not getting loaded.

David Van Fleet

Dec 26, 2022, 1:17:01 PM12/26/22
to SIMILE Widgets
still get  "Uncaught ReferenceError: Timeline is not defined

David Karger

Dec 26, 2022, 1:18:13 PM12/26/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

see my other message---the page is not currently linking to the timeline script

David Van Fleet

Dec 26, 2022, 1:22:07 PM12/26/22
to SIMILE Widgets
so, it is or may be a server error and we just wait to see if they fix it?

V. Alex Brennen

Dec 30, 2022, 12:55:18 PM12/30/22
to SIMILE Widgets
Hi David,

The issue that was causing the failure of your timeline to load has been corrected through a small code update on the Simile server.

The system's ability to deliver your code to render your page should be stable now and I do not expect that you'll have further issues.

My apologies, for the amount of time it took to correct this problem. Holiday travel and commitments made tracking down this difficult to identify problem and correcting it rather challenging. Things were working for me in some browsers (and browser versions). But, not in others. I've verified that your asu.edu website is now working correctly for me in all major web browsers.

I believe all issues with all sites are corrected at this point. But, I will be keeping an eye on this Google group to make sure no one else is having issues.

I would like to 2nd Dr. Karger's recommendation of using relative protocol URLs (such as "//api.simile-widgets.org" rather than "http://api.simile-widgets.org/" or "https://api.simile-widgets.org/") is webpages using Simile javascript. Browser companies (Google, Mozilla, and Microsoft) have been pushing hard to have websites use TLS (https). This push includes standards work with W3C on http, hsts, and related protocols involving security headers and automatic protocol upgrades. The push for https content extends to the Google Search Engine down ranking content served over http in search results.

For anyone that is not currently using https based webpages due to a lack of security certificate, the EFF's "Let's Encrypt" project provides free and automatically renewing web server security certificates.

   - Alex

David Van Fleet

Dec 30, 2022, 12:57:42 PM12/30/22
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. My site seems to be working fine now.

Jonathan Richards

Dec 31, 2022, 12:50:17 PM12/31/22
to SIMILE Widgets
Alex, thank you for keeping Simile working, it really is the best thing for those of us who aren't wizard developers, but can just about compile some interesting timed data, and have it displayed so intuitively as Simile does.
I just checked that my most complex timeline, at https://orlopdeck.net/BRP/Battle_of_the_River_Plate_timeline.html is working as expected, and it is.  I used three bands, different colours for classes of events, and different timescales within the main band for high-tempo events.  Did I miss any obvious Simile features?  I don't think so.  In any event, my best wishes for a Happy New Year to you and all the Simile Widgets readers, and thanks again.
Jonathan

David Van Fleet

Jan 2, 2023, 7:35:41 PM1/2/23
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404
not what's wrong?

David Karger

Jan 2, 2023, 9:18:51 PM1/2/23
to SIMILE Widgets
The timeline is running; it looks to be like you might have misplaced your data file

David Van Fleet

Jan 2, 2023, 9:34:14 PM1/2/23
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
 I show three errors:
ailed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 ()
simile-ajax-bundle.js:1826 TypeError: Cannot read properties of null (reading 'documentElement') 'XmlHttp: Error handling onReadyStateChange'
A @ simile-ajax-bundle.js:1826
simile-ajax-bundle.js:1828 Uncaught XmlHttp: Error handling onReadyStateChange
 I use History.xml and it is in the same location as my html file mgt_timeline.htm
it says it is loading (I guess that is the timeline) so why isn't it picking up my xml file (it is in the same location as it has always been)?

David Van Fleet

Jan 2, 2023, 9:46:58 PM1/2/23
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
it also says:
[Report Only] Refused to execute inline script because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "script-src 'none'". Either the 'unsafe-inline' keyword, a hash ('sha256-Ok3h3KQPImLDeT+nhkULWiXKkOr97POy3UBjaF1lQzM='), or a nonce ('nonce-...') is required to enable inline execution.

__history__.html?0:88 [Report Only] Refused to load the script 'https://ssl.google-analytics.com/ga.js' because it violates the following Content Security Policy directive: "script-src 'none'". Note that 'script-src-elem' was not explicitly set, so 'script-src' is used as a fallback.

David Van Fleet

David Van Fleet

Jan 3, 2023, 1:12:18 AM1/3/23
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure it has to do with the data file but don't know how to diagnose it.
It is located where it has always been along with the other components.

David Karger

Jan 3, 2023, 11:49:34 AM1/3/23
to simile-...@googlegroups.com

It looks like the problem is that you've introduced a typo in your data file.

David Van Fleet

Jan 3, 2023, 12:14:04 PM1/3/23
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
thanks again
I didn't realize that I couldn't use "&" in place of "and" when noting authors
live and learn
sorry to be such a bother but I am learning

Wei Zhao

Apr 11, 2023, 4:59:40 PM4/11/23
to SIMILE Widgets
Thank you all!

SIMILE is truly a great widget and this is a great application!