Is service.simile-widgets.org/babel going to be restored soon?

Dario Izzo

Apr 25, 2014, 6:06:44 AM4/25/14
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Since 5 days or so the babel service has stopped. The url http://service.simile-widgets.org/babel/ returns Service Temporarily Unavailable.

Is the service going to be restored? If not, are there alternatives? Our web page http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/publications/act_papers.html makes use of exhibit 2.2.0 to make a publication list from bibtex, and is currently broken :(

Dario

David Karger

Apr 25, 2014, 7:27:11 AM4/25/14
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I was unaware of the issue.  I've asked our sysadmin to look into things.

David Karger

Apr 25, 2014, 7:18:22 PM4/25/14
to simile-...@googlegroups.com
Service on babel has been restored, and your site seems to be working.

If you want to protect yourself from such failures in the future, you can convert your bibtex file to one that exhibit understands natively (json, csv, google spreadsheet, html table) and serve that from your own site.

Given that you have 484 publications, you might want to switch to exhibit 3, which has much better scalability in loading and filtering data.

jodi.a.s...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2020, 6:00:49 PM9/2/20
to SIMILE Widgets
Babel is down:
http://service.simile-widgets.org/babel/

It appears to have been up in 2019 (per Internet Archive)

Is there code for any of these conversions? BibTeX/RIS to JSON would be particularly practical for us.

-Jodi